Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Dungeon of the Endless
Universe banner wording

Dungeon of the ENDLESS™ is a Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense hybrid game, in which your team of heroes must protect the generator of their crashed ship while finding their way out!

Dungeon of the Endless for Nintendo Switch!

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Oct 30, 2018, 7:13:58 PM

Instead of begging for an Idea that was begged for 1000 times already, I want to bring some work to the table and share my vision of a port. Starting with a mock-up: 

Wouldn't this be awesome? Isn't the game the perfect fit for the Nintendo Switch? I do think so!

There are many pros, that speaks for a port:

• Play everywhere, whenever you what: DotE "room - to - room" dungeon crawling gameplay is a perfect fit for game sessions of different lenghts. Start a game, fight your way to the elevator as far as you can - and if you have to stop, just send the Switch to stand-by and start where you left in an instant whenever you want. Perfect during commute between home and work/school on the bus or train. 
  • Play how you want: Experience the great pixel art and soundtrack of DotE on TV or on the screen of the Switch in seamless transition between the modes.
  • Built in multiplayer capabilities: two player co-op should be easily to realise with the two Joy-Cons of one Switch console itself. You could expand the experience with a full 4 player team where everyone plays on their own Switch without splitscreen. I imagine local multiplayer is the more realistic option here because of difficulties in porting from PC to Nintendo "infrastructure" both as a technical and money issue which would be totally fine! How great would it be to sit down during a Beer2Gether and play together with the devs on the spot?!
  • New Switch-exlusive content brings fresh air into the game. Like the TF2 characters, cross promoting with OG Nintendo characters brings both to the table - new gameplay experiences and awareness from Nintendo-fans

Delving through the depths with Samus as a Switch exclusive Hero? Flavourful and exciting to think about! (sorry for my poor mock-up)

Why should there be an Endless-Game be on the Switch at all?

• With around 20 million sold Switch consoles, there is a big potential for a new audience for the Endless brand in general and for DotE in special. That would have the following effect: raising brand-awareness (Endless series and Amplitude Studios) for a new audience (console players) and another stream of income from already existing IP's and existing games.
  • News like Dead Cells copies on Switch outnumbering sales of Dead Cells on PS4 proves for me, that the Switch improves the gameplay experience of indie-titles greatly and makes the purchase way more attractive - and DotE is a game that don't have to shy the competition on the Nintendo eShop
  • The Nintendo-Switch is a port-friendly console. Dungen of the Endless is made with the Unity Engine as far as I know, which is well supported by the Switch. So that alone should lower the barrier of investing into a port and exploring new waters. And expertise in porting and publishing worldwide on consoles should be given with SEGA as a publisher! I would say, that it could go so far, that the port can be completely outscourced with supervision by amplitude.
  • Raise the numbers of Endless-fans: the Endless universe is a great, lore-rich world where you can get invested in it. And for people exploring the Endless-world the first time on the Switch will lead their way to the G2G Forum and to the other games where they can get even deeper into the history of a super interesting universe. 

And there are no cons? Sure!

• The dreams of a fan aside: is DotE a priority of amplitude as a development studio? If not, then there are no developers, time and money to spare for a port when all-new games are in the works (for sure!).
  • Exploring a new field (like a console) could be resource expensive and even if DotE could be the best fit for the Switch, is it reasonable to bind resources on a single title if there is no long term vision in more games in the future on the same platform? Amplitude made PC exclusive title and there lies there expertise and it will most likely stay that way for the future - dont't change a running system.
  • The competition get's tougher on the Switch. Even more games are released per week - original titles and ports alike. I'm still positive about DotE performance on the Switch. But the risk of hard competition/unlucky release dates has to be taken into consideration if a studio wants to port 1 (!) title without any further vision beyond that.  

Closing words: 
I hope this super-bad-made "pitch" of my idea finds some recognition. Feel free to discuss with me! :D 
I'd love to hear from a dev if the idea of a port flew through their minds and was discussed to a certain point.
Still: playing DotE on the go and in an instant with a friend would make me sooo happy and would be ready to pay the full price for it again!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 31, 2018, 8:46:29 AM

I'm not sure Samus Aran would be so happy to find herself next to Sara Numas.

Otherwise, yes, port this gem to all platforms, forever.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 31, 2018, 9:04:24 AM

The main issue I would see with doing this is that porting it over could be quite a lot fo work, not just the porting it over to Switch but porting it over to a version of Unity that supports Switch first, The last build I think was April 25, 2016 and was probably done on a version of Unity quite a bit older than the most recent at the time.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 18, 2019, 12:09:58 PM

Another problem would be that Nintendo wouldn't let a game on to their console unless the company behind it takes care of bug-fixes. (Don't misunderstand me, I absolutely love this game!! but) This game is riddled with gameplay bugs and issues, especially in co-op. Which means that if this game was ported to Nintendo Switch and users started sending in reports which weren't taken care of.... No, I don't think Nintendo would ever allow it.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message