Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Dungeon
Universe banner wording

Visual Design

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 10, 2021, 9:26:53 PM

While we talk about visual design of the game, will it be the same visuals and characteristics that we have in the other games or will it be more "comic"?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 11, 2021, 7:59:33 AM

The style will indeed be more "comic" than the other Endless games. While there may still be tweaks, you can already see the overall aesthetic in our new trailer.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 11, 2021, 9:31:44 AM

You mean "cartoonish"? Yeah, game works well with cell-shading. It's a fitting transition from stylish pixel-art we had in DotE.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 11, 2021, 12:01:28 PM

After seeing the trailer, I am not a huge fan of the visuals.  They are not bad, but they're not as exciting as I had hoped either.  The characters look too much like the generic "realistic cartoon" style that's popular now with games like Fortnite and Overwatch (I noticed a Metroid callback in one of the designs as well), and the environments look mostly like any other twin-stick shooter on the market, and everything looks way too dark.  Of course, the gameplay is what's important at the end of the day, but I was hoping for a more unique Amplitude Studios touch in the art department here.  If the goal was to look like a comic, I would have preferred something more unique like hard-drawn graphics, or maybe a "3D comic" approach like XIII, Void Bastards, or (to a slightly lesser extent) Borderlands.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 11, 2021, 2:30:27 PM

While I'm looking forward to more news of the game, I'm unsure how I feel about the aesthetics at this time. In video cutscenes and all the "vote on character names" threads, I'de agree characters look too Fortnite/Overwatch-ish, which I really don't like.

SpikedWallMan wrote:
The characters look too much like the generic "realistic cartoon" style that's popular now with games like Fortnite and Overwatch

However in the actual gameplay parts of the trailer the graphics seems different from this style. I think the darker environments makes it look different from the tiresome bright and colorful design of the very standard "realistic cartoon" style these two games popularized.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 11, 2021, 4:19:06 PM
CristataC wrote:
However in the actual gameplay parts of the trailer the graphics seems different from this style. I think the darker environments makes it look different from the tiresome bright and colorful design of the very standard "realistic cartoon" style these two games popularized.

I do agree that the art style doesn't look as goofy in the actual gameplay.  I don't mind dark-ish environments to prevent a Fortnite-esque rainbow explosion, but something about the way that the darkness/shadows are done in the trailer bothers me. You can't really appreciate the environments because a large portion of everything is obscured by shadows which restricts your field of vision and makes everything hard to see. Maybe there's a power management mechanic like in Dungeon of the Endless and all of the rooms in the trailer are unpowered - don't know. It just sort of feels like one of those shooters (2D or 3D) that overdo the darkness in order to support a flashlight mechanic.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 10, 2021, 2:29:38 AM

Apart from the animation of dying characters (pretty lame - at least yet), I really like the trailer.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message