Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Dungeon
Universe banner wording

Thoughts on weapon improvements?

Copied to clipboard!
5 months ago
Dec 5, 2023, 1:01:06 AM

What’s popping gamers, first things first i love the endless games and ive sunk a lot of hours into DotE specifically. I may have only won a handful of times despite the deceptive amount of hours ive poured into that game… but i digress. I have my fair share of things I would like to see changed, with a lot of it already being discussed in forums and stuff, so I thought I’d bring another aspect to light. I wanted to post today because I’ve seen a lot of people talking about how weapons could feel more exciting, so I was curious what people might have had in mind for weapon changes. I dunno jack about any good ideas for weapons, so I’m not really sure of any ideas myself, but I’m really looking forward to the developement of it. I figured maybe if there was a forum post itself about what could be done for weapons then that might help, idk!! Either way have a good one and all that jazz.

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 8, 2023, 11:27:31 AM

Hey, it is a nice start to try to encourage the discussion and the brainstorming of ideas, in this case, related to weapons.
I am sure you will have in mind some ideas heheh

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 9, 2023, 10:00:54 AM
Daarkarrow wrote:

Hey, it is a nice start to try to encourage the discussion and the brainstorming of ideas, in this case, related to weapons.

Heyo, first of all i see you working hard to keep in touch with the community, which is really cool to see, I really think that shows dedication and that’s important so just wanted to say I appreciate that, cato_9tails (i think i spelled that correctly), one of your devs that has kept in touch on reddit, has shown the same so that’s rad. I also want to say before i start that I have no experience with game design and the like. I’m not sure the bounds with which you all have to work with in terms of like what is capable of being changed within the game. I really have been trying to think of what i could contribute to this particular post, so hopefully this gives you some ideas. Without further ado:

One thing I wanted to say is that the weapons feel pretty good to fire off. It feels nice to blast through a wall of enemies with piercing weapons, i like the aoe explosives as well, there’s a lot that feels nice about using them. However, outside of how they feel, i think that it would be cool to find ways to expand upon their uniqueness. People have already mentioned ideas for endless-tier weapons, and i believe ive seen people discuss status conditions. I feel like the critical effects tied to elements are nice, but besides the poison i feel like i dont notice the effectiveness entirely. I like the idea of chips being used for weapons, however it didnt feel super interesting especially with only having a couple options for each weapon to get upgrades for.

What i think would be nice is some sorta of skill tree/chip slot options for the guns. I feel like some of the upgrades that are simple stat incrases are nice, but without other options then it doesnt feel as nice to equip just a stat bonus. The shotguns, for instance, have a pretty cool chip upgrade with getting an extra shot whenever they fire. Its neat, and it makes a shotgun weapon feel more like a shotgun, as opposed to just another weapon that feels nice to point and shoot. It could be nice where, as bunker, you could maybe pick up a shot gun that allows it to have incrased knockback, or maybe a stun chance or something like that. Perhaps some sort of dual elemental chips that grant a bonus damage type would be helpful for the damage type-matching problems ive seen discussed. Again i really wish i had more ideas fleshed out, but i do think chips could be expanded upon in this regard.

Also, how possible is it to have some sorta gradual progression of weapons as you advance through the dungeon itself? Maybe dust could be used to upgrade weapons during a game? Speaking of using dust, maybe there could be some sort of abilities with endless-tier weapons that cost a dust to activate or something.

In terms of the actual weapons themselves, i’m not entirely sure what to put here. I think an expanded weapon list could be a help. Maybe if there are ways to make each weapon feel a little more like their individual themes (i.e snipers, smgs, etc.), Such as minorly different ways to control each gun theme or what have you, that could be nice rather than the only real difference being how fast a gun fires or takes to reload.

One other thing I was wondering, and lemme stress this I am not trying to compare this game to Dungeon of the Endless as i’m aware theyre not supposed to be the same game, but i was wondering about what plans might be had for adding melee characters to the game? Shoving feels really unappealing, and it also feels a bit clunky in my opinion, i feel like melee characters could be worked in with stats implemented in the game, and i think it would be a unique angle to approach weapons on.

Otherwise, i dont think i have much else in terms of my thoughts on weapons. Thank you for taking the time to read everything, and im sorry i tried to cut this down as best i could… either way have a good one!!

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 11, 2023, 3:19:19 PM
Crustaceanking928 wrote:
Daarkarrow wrote:

Heyo, first of all i see you working hard to keep in touch with the community, which is really cool to see, I really think that shows dedication and that’s important so just wanted to say I appreciate that, cato_9tails (i think i spelled that correctly), one of your devs that has kept in touch on reddit, has shown the same so that’s rad. I also want to say before i start that I have no experience with game design and the like. I’m not sure the bounds with which you all have to work with in terms of like what is capable of being changed within the game. I really have been trying to think of what i could contribute to this particular post, so hopefully this gives you some ideas. Without further ado:

One thing I wanted to say is that the weapons feel pretty good to fire off. It feels nice to blast through a wall of enemies with piercing weapons, i like the aoe explosives as well, there’s a lot that feels nice about using them. However, outside of how they feel, i think that it would be cool to find ways to expand upon their uniqueness. People have already mentioned ideas for endless-tier weapons, and i believe ive seen people discuss status conditions. I feel like the critical effects tied to elements are nice, but besides the poison i feel like i dont notice the effectiveness entirely. I like the idea of chips being used for weapons, however it didnt feel super interesting especially with only having a couple options for each weapon to get upgrades for.

What i think would be nice is some sorta of skill tree/chip slot options for the guns. I feel like some of the upgrades that are simple stat incrases are nice, but without other options then it doesnt feel as nice to equip just a stat bonus. The shotguns, for instance, have a pretty cool chip upgrade with getting an extra shot whenever they fire. Its neat, and it makes a shotgun weapon feel more like a shotgun, as opposed to just another weapon that feels nice to point and shoot. It could be nice where, as bunker, you could maybe pick up a shot gun that allows it to have incrased knockback, or maybe a stun chance or something like that. Perhaps some sort of dual elemental chips that grant a bonus damage type would be helpful for the damage type-matching problems ive seen discussed. Again i really wish i had more ideas fleshed out, but i do think chips could be expanded upon in this regard.

Also, how possible is it to have some sorta gradual progression of weapons as you advance through the dungeon itself? Maybe dust could be used to upgrade weapons during a game? Speaking of using dust, maybe there could be some sort of abilities with endless-tier weapons that cost a dust to activate or something.

In terms of the actual weapons themselves, i’m not entirely sure what to put here. I think an expanded weapon list could be a help. Maybe if there are ways to make each weapon feel a little more like their individual themes (i.e snipers, smgs, etc.), Such as minorly different ways to control each gun theme or what have you, that could be nice rather than the only real difference being how fast a gun fires or takes to reload.

One other thing I was wondering, and lemme stress this I am not trying to compare this game to Dungeon of the Endless as i’m aware theyre not supposed to be the same game, but i was wondering about what plans might be had for adding melee characters to the game? Shoving feels really unappealing, and it also feels a bit clunky in my opinion, i feel like melee characters could be worked in with stats implemented in the game, and i think it would be a unique angle to approach weapons on.

Otherwise, i dont think i have much else in terms of my thoughts on weapons. Thank you for taking the time to read everything, and im sorry i tried to cut this down as best i could… either way have a good one!!

First of all, Thanks for acknowledging those types of thing means a lot to me and the team ( @The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales + @Su_Fei ).

No need to have proper knowledge about Game Design (I don't have huge knowledge), but at the end sometimes expressing feelings can give us hints on the pain points and with that the Game Designer can try to find solutions within the constraints of the specific project.

The effectiveness of the weapons and the different elements have changed a bit, at the beginning was "crucial" which led to frustrations for players (having the elements was kind of "mandatory" otherwise you ended up with a feeling of frustration + rng). Right now this difference of using the correct element has decreased to avoid that feeling while having a small feeling of "Yeah, I've got the correct one".

Interesting idea the fact of upgrading the weapons during the run with Dust. Skill tree or changes that completely change the weapon it is a bit more tricky as it will require not only time from the GD's but probably VFX, Artists, etc. Not saying it is not possible just that it is a bit more complicated.
For example, the feelings you mentioned about the feels of Sniper or SMGS, perhaps it is a balance on some of the weapons to give them more power while reducing the cooldown of shooting.

No worries about bringing certain areas of a game, in this case, DotE, as long as it is an understanding that this is not DotE 2. From this perspective, I would love to have more melee heroes (tells the player that tends to have the role of "rogue"), but as most of the gameplay plays around weapons, having an interesting mele system could be complicated (trying to be as much honest I can be).

Again, thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts! I will share it with the team ;)

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 13, 2023, 6:31:18 PM
Daarkarrow wrote:
Crustaceanking928 wrote:
Daarkarrow wrote:

First of all, Thanks for acknowledging those types of thing means a lot to me and the team ( @The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales + @Su_Fei ).

No need to have proper knowledge about Game Design (I don't have huge knowledge), but at the end sometimes expressing feelings can give us hints on the pain points and with that the Game Designer can try to find solutions within the constraints of the specific project.

The effectiveness of the weapons and the different elements have changed a bit, at the beginning was "crucial" which led to frustrations for players (having the elements was kind of "mandatory" otherwise you ended up with a feeling of frustration + rng). Right now this difference of using the correct element has decreased to avoid that feeling while having a small feeling of "Yeah, I've got the correct one".

Interesting idea the fact of upgrading the weapons during the run with Dust. Skill tree or changes that completely change the weapon it is a bit more tricky as it will require not only time from the GD's but probably VFX, Artists, etc. Not saying it is not possible just that it is a bit more complicated.
For example, the feelings you mentioned about the feels of Sniper or SMGS, perhaps it is a balance on some of the weapons to give them more power while reducing the cooldown of shooting.

No worries about bringing certain areas of a game, in this case, DotE, as long as it is an understanding that this is not DotE 2. From this perspective, I would love to have more melee heroes (tells the player that tends to have the role of "rogue"), but as most of the gameplay plays around weapons, having an interesting mele system could be complicated (trying to be as much honest I can be).

Again, thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts! I will share it with the team ;)

First of all I’m sorry it took me a long time to get back to you!! Secondly, thank you for reading through things and expressing your thoughts on the matter, and sharing ideas and stuff about progress going thus far. I do understand how some of these aspects just might not be possible. After reading through your explanation about melee characters, its clear there would need to be a good amount of work put in to make them work out. Though hopefully things like that aren’t impossible!! Either way, keep up the work, i’ll be sure to communicate any other ideas I  think of that might be useful.

0Send private message
5 months ago
Dec 22, 2023, 8:48:56 PM
Jackcharles wrote:

I've been thinking about the latest upgrades to the weapons, and it's wonderful to see the developers actively considering player input. The changes appear to improve balance and gameplay overall, making for a more pleasurable experience. But I can't help but wonder how these modifications relate to more general issues like corporate governance. Ensuring that decisions are made with transparency and the gaming community's best interests in mind is crucial.

Im not sure why, but it took me so long to understand the second part of your comment, though i’m pretty sure i understand it now. For some reason my inept brain just refused to comprehend the link you posted alingside your comment. I agree, I am a little worried about what that might mean in terms of integrity/issues behind the scenes. I have faith in them, however my faith is based on pre-sega Amplitude. I think they’ve done very well at being transparent within interactions of the community. Darkaarow’s responded on this thread twice, and closed everything oht very well and explained things clearly. On reddit, i’ve been explained things as clear as they could be explained in a thread about Fassie. They’re working and listening, i think the survey they created a little over a week ago shows that they’re trying to change things in a way that the community will enjoy a lot. Though i also do agree that these sorts of problems should have been figured out throughout the pre-release versions that could be played off preorders. I just also know it’s important to understand that I genuinely believe that there’s some very big “Sega”-esque ideas involved in this process, in ways that probably hinder the team, and i could be wrong about that but it just feels like there’s things they just can’t do and can’t talk about. I’ve seen people mention this idea before. Overall, i’m just patiently waiting to see what they have in store for us, and I have faith that theyve got our best interests at heart at Amplitude.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jan 2, 2024, 3:41:27 PM
Crustaceanking928 wrote:
Im not sure why, but it took me so long to understand the second part of your comment

I have an answer to that: That was a spambot that unfortunately did not get banned quickly enough (since most of us were already on vacation for the holidays). They've been removed now, but if you did click on the link, I would strongly recommend you run some virus scans on your system, since these links can be malicious rather than mere advertisements.

Nonetheless, thank you for your kind words about putting your trust in us.

0Send private message
4 months ago
Jan 4, 2024, 6:06:15 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:
Crustaceanking928 wrote:
Im not sure why, but it took me so long to understand the second part of your comment

I have an answer to that: That was a spambot that unfortunately did not get banned quickly enough (since most of us were already on vacation for the holidays). They've been removed now, but if you did click on the link, I would strongly recommend you run some virus scans on your system, since these links can be malicious rather than mere advertisements.

Nonetheless, thank you for your kind words about putting your trust in us.

Of course!! We’re all rooting for ya. Also, thank you for the heads up about the spam link and stuff from the previous comment.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message