Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

Crash after title screen

Copied to clipboard!
9 months ago
Aug 7, 2023, 10:20:56 AM

Issue: When I try to run the game, it goes as far as me seeing the company logos and the "Endless Legend Inferno" title screen, then it crashes.

Specs: Bought it from Steam, using Windows 11, two 2k monitors.

Tried so far: I did Steam data verification, made sure not to have beta options enabled, removed launching data, turned of Windows Defender and Avira, ran it as administrator, ran it under Windows 8 compatibility mode, added it as well as Steam itself to Windows Defender and Avira exclusions, made sure my drivers were up to date, turned off Steam overlay, made sure Visual C++ components exist in the Steam folders (the vcredist folder contains the subfolders 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019). 

Part of output_log.txt when the errors begin:

```

[...]

Unloading 9 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 5071.
Total: 0.271000 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.064700 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.043800 ms MarkObjects: 0.151200 ms DeleteObjects: 0.010900 ms)

DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

(Filename: Line: 374)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Legend\EndlessLegend_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/fmod_event_net64.dll
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/.\fmod_event_net64.dll
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/fmod_event_net64.dll
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/fmod_event_net64
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/.\fmod_event_net64
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/fmod_event_net64
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/libfmod_event_net64.dll
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/.\libfmod_event_net64.dll
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/libfmod_event_net64.dll
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Legend\EndlessLegend_Data\Managed\System.Data.dll (this message is harmless)
Can't switch high definition (switch: 'False') because the age manager is null.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/.\fmod_event_net64.dll
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/.\fmod_event_net64
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Legend/EndlessLegend_Data/Mono/.\libfmod_event_net64.dll

[end of file]

```

The Mono folder does indeed only contain a single library file, mono.dll. Given that this is a folder within the game, I assume that this is not about me having to install some general library?

Also I want to remind that I used the Steam file verification, which *should* have detected missing files in the game folder.

I also tried to run it with -force-opengl, doing so directly opens a small message box that talks about an error. The log seems not to contain anything useful:

```

[...]

<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.
desktop: 2560x1440 59Hz; virtual: 5120x1440 at 0,0
Crash!!!
SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Legend;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Legend;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'User'
OS-Version: 10.0.22621 () 0x100-0x1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Legend\EndlessLegend.exe:EndlessLegend.exe (00007FF7ACB60000), size: 21581824 (result: 0), SymType: '-exported-', PDB: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Legend\EndlessLegend.exe', fileVersion: 5.3.6.23037
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll:ntdll.dll (00007FF8D3B90000), size: 2179072 (result: 0), SymType: '-exported-', PDB: 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll', fileVersion: 10.0.22621.1928

[...]

```

I can give you the full error logs if necessary, but I won't post my system diagnostics in an open forum.

Edit: seems your forum does not use standard markdown boxes. Not seeing a tool for that here, so leaving it like this for now.

Updated 9 months ago.
0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 7, 2023, 10:29:12 AM

Also note that the Steam Support first sent me to the Sega Support, where I was told that I am at the wrong spot, and relayed to here.

You might want to tell Steam to directly forward to here in the future.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 7, 2023, 4:21:59 PM

Fixed it by following the environment variable edit as proposed here: https://community.amplitude-studios.com/amplitude-studios/endless-legend/forums/13-tech-support/threads/5309-game-does-not-launch?page=1#post-336258

Btw, it took me a while to realize that I am in the bug report board, not the tech support board. The guys at Sega sent me here.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message