Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

Random Stuttering Every Second - Any Updates On This Long-Standing Problem?

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 7:52:40 AM
Lt_Miles wrote:
Could you provide us with your output_log.txt file, a dxdiag report and one of your diagnostics*.html files? 

In order to investigate this issue, we need these files ^^

0Send private message
8 years ago
May 3, 2016, 1:58:32 PM
Could you join a save and reiterate which circumstances trigger these stutters, player1?

Thanks! :)
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
May 10, 2016, 10:58:21 AM
Thank you, I'll pass this on to our dear Lt Miles for investigation. :)
0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 4:35:16 PM

I have a similar issue but only when I am playing big maps with 8 factions.  I am running a dual-core i5 @ 2.50 GHz.  I believe the problem stems from the clock speed not being able to keep up with the computing.  I seem to see the same pattern when people discuss this issue.  People are running systems that barely meet the clock speed requirement (i.e. 2.4 GHz, 2.5 GHz).  I strongly suspect this is the root of the issue as it only occurs for after a specific range of turns (mine starts around 90-100 consistently).  When I encounter these issues, I check my Task Manager/Resource Monitor and every time it shows high CPU usage.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 4:38:10 PM

It is also worth noting that I did not experience this on one occasion (under the specific rules of Huge Map + 8 Factions).  This was when I played through as the Cultists. In this play through I never experienced even the slightest stutter.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Apr 16, 2016, 6:21:22 PM
Hi,

Could you provide us with your output_log.txt file, a dxdiag report and one of your diagnostics*.html files? Do you have any improvements if you change the graphics settings?
0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Oct 28, 2016, 1:56:59 PM

Any update on this?  I found a few more people on the steam forums having the same issue and have sent them this direction.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Dec 4, 2016, 4:06:22 AM

I am having this problem as well. I was playing a large map with 6 players and the stuttering occurs after about 60 turns. Ending a turn slows the stuttering but after panning or zooming it quickens again. My rig setup is i7 4770k, 2x R9 Nano, 16gb RAM. The Steam forum community led me here and there are many who are having the same problem. Please fix this Amplitude, I love this game.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Dec 30, 2016, 3:42:22 PM

Bought this game a few days ago in the steam sale and I have the same issue. A game that ran without a hitch started stuttering around the time I hit turn 60. 

Relevant info:

- Normal map size (random -> smaller islands), 6 factions, only my island and a bit of another explored so far

- Win7 x64 Home Premium

- Intel i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

- Turning the graphics options down to "potato" doesn't help

- Windows Resource Monitor shows no excessive CPU or IO usage

- Tried the various workarounds already mentioned in this thread

- Base game without expansions or other nonfree DLC.

- DxDiag.zip

Savegame where everything is still fine:

Mezari - Turn 40

output_log_turn40.txt

Diagnostics_turn40.zip

Savegame with stuttering:

Mezari - Turn 74

output_log_turn74.txt

Diagnostics_turn74.zip

Now to an idea that I had:

I noticed that the save that has the stuttering shows the blue AI faction (Wild Walkers...I checked with the console commands) is listed as "Playing" during my turn instead of "Ready" as the others (see screenshot). This doesn't go away (same as the stuttering) when I do nothing on my turn for 10+ minutes, which makes me wonder whether that faction's AI got "stuck" on something and that causes the stuttering. I would have tested further, but unfortunately there's no "kill faction X" command.

Any further comments and advice to get this solved welcome!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Aug 8, 2017, 12:21:34 PM

80-90C is IMHO a lot!

My OCed 4790K is hovering around 70-75C when I run the Intel Burn Test, and way below that in games.

The stuttering is then probably due to the CPU being throttled in order to keep the temps somewhat in check.

Can you perhaps check that your cooling solution is running properly?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Nov 10, 2017, 4:24:20 AM

Adding my experience to this. One turn everything's fine, next turn I have stuttering every second. Mine's not even during winter.

Specs are 

Edition - Windows 10 Home; Version - 1703; OS Build 15063.674

Screen Resolution - 1440x2560

GPU - R9 390; CPU - i5 4460 @ 3.2GHz; 8GB Ram (single channel); game is installed on a Samsung 850 Evo ssd (which isn't my boot drive);

Game version 1.5.14 S3 (64-Bit)

Game saves

Pre-Bug 106.zip

Pre-Bug 107.zip

Post-Bug 108.zip

Post-Bug 109.zip

output_log.zip

Diagnostics (2017'11'09 @2159'24'').zip

Registry.zip

I uploaded a video to gfycat https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DisloyalJollyItaliangreyhound. I'll note that this issue does not require me to be moving the map around, I just felt that that's a good way for me to show the stuttering.

Troubleshooting I've attempted: Restarting game. Restarting computer. Updating Drivers. Lowering Graphics settings to minimum. Going to save 'Pre-Bug 107', taking different actions and ending the turn (I tried doing no actions but one of my armies is queued to move and Idk how to/if i can cancel it).

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Apr 25, 2016, 11:47:30 AM
player1 wrote:
Now, looking into this, the issue is not uniform.

For example, when I switched to my other save (normal/6 players), which is late game turn 202 winter, there is no shuttering. With frame limiter, fps is constant 31fps (+/-0.1fps).

While in my current game at 88 turn winter, there is shuttering (normal/8 players).

I just finished a 200 turn 6-player/large with no winter stutter. Yay. The usual late-game slowness and input lag but nevermind, at least no stutter!

Looks like 6 players max for me, it's not ideal but it's a workaround. What a mysterious problem.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Apr 15, 2016, 3:17:01 PM
Hi all.

Perhaps a quarter of all the games I play in Endless Legend at some point begin to get this horrible stuttering problem. Every second or so the animations, the camera and pretty much everything else apart from the mouse cursor freeze for a moment before returning to normal for another second, before freezing again, and returning to normal. And so on.

Apparently this is a pretty long-standing issue. Here are some other discussions about the stuttering (there are likely more that I've missed):

https://www.reddit.com/r/EndlessLegend/comments/2mgcty/stuttering_game_animations_and_camera_at_100fps/

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/forum/13-tech-support/thread/5206-stuttering-every-second-or-so

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289130/discussions/0/613956964581320983/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289130/discussions/0/520518053452179172/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208140/discussions/0/846957366834126385/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289130/discussions/0/617319460957667288/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289130/discussions/0/535152511362256460/

I've no idea exactly what causes this issue. Many people say that it occurs particularly after several hundred turns have passed, in large maps with many players and/or many cities. However, my most recent game has only six empires on a standard map, and I'm only 34 turns into the game, but regardless the stuttering has begun, and rendered the game almost impossible to play.

Any updates on this fairly significant performance issue? I've loved this game for 200 hours, but if this stuttering is a semi-regular occurrence then I feel I'll quickly stop playing without some sort of fix or fruitful advice.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Apr 20, 2016, 12:22:58 AM
My game runs fine in summer, but in winter I have terrible stutter. GPU load varies wildly and it's the same stutter when zoomed out to the strategic view or zoomed in to a blank undiscovered part of the map.

I'm wondering if it's the wind and snow effect that's causing it - is there any way to turn these visual effects off? I already know it's winter cos everything turned white, I don't need wind and snow particles if they make the game nearly unplayable.

My computer has a GTX970, an i7 cpu, and win7 x64. For testing I set everything to minimum quality/off and changed EndlessLegend.exe process priority to realtime. CPU load is around 15%, GPU fluctuates from 10% to 40%. Yet even with this low utilisation I get stutter.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message