Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

Creating Endless Legend card game (RPG).

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Sep 25, 2018, 11:04:57 AM

So I've already made an ES 2 card game and released it in TTS steam workshop 
Now I've started to create EL card game. In case of ES2 CG I've already had working prototype of a card game, that I've made and playtested few years ago. But in case of EL it would be completely new work, made frome scratch with EL setting in mind. And yes, it would be an RPG with up to 6 or maybe even 8 players.
So, what I'm planning to create:
1) Character creation: you will choose race, past, present and ambition of your character. That will determine some traits of your character that is a basis for the next thing
2) Influence and relationship system. Your characters will love or hate each other. Depending on that different interactions will be availiable. 

3) Quest system. Minor, major and (story?) ones. With differen outcomes based on your character's traits.
4) FIDSI implementation. 

5) Modular map with different terrain types, ruins, villages and even City.

6) Neutral armies wandering on the map.

7) Simple (probably dice-based) battle system where other players can interfere, helping you or creating additional challanges

8) World events. Where players must join there forces to win or loose together.

Well something like that. It looks like it can became something really big and hard to understand, but I will try to make everything both simple and interesting.
Right now I've started to create modular map. Here is a teaser:

And also I have 2 things to say:
1) All asstets for the first version will be in russian. Because it would be much simplier for me to test things. Later I'll probably translate them in english
2) My dream is to publish my own game. Maybe somehow it will work with this project? Who knows. :D Well, if this won't work I'll share this game with everyone using TTS. For free of course.
3) This thread is to post news about development. 

And it's a lot of work ahead...

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Sep 30, 2018, 8:42:16 AM

So, i've made map assets and now I'm working with game mechanics. Right now, about stats, character and equipment:
Idea with base stats was canceled and now I'm creating FIDSI-only system, where food affects movement, Industry - battle abilities, Dust - equipment gain, money, science - questing, skill checks, and influence - player interactions. There will be no stat progression except for equipment and base income for those resources.
Equipment:
2-handed swords, 2-handed axes, claws, staffs, 1-handed swords, 1-handed axes, wands, shields. Also there will be light and heavy armor and trinkets. Everything will have 3 grades from lowest to highest and ALSO Artifact-grade per item-type (maybe except armor).
All items will have 3 stats: Number of attack dices, number of defence dices and active ability. For weapons it's a battle ability, for example - additional attack or defence dices. Tier1-tier3 items you can buy in the City, but all artifacts are quest rewards and can be only found in ruins.

Also for the quest system: I'm planing to use system, where quest locations and targets changes depending on map. Card can say: In the fileds north to City, or the closest ruins and so on. So depending on your map it can be different locations.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 20, 2018, 12:40:18 PM
DanielSas wrote:

Up! I really dig into this!

It was paused for 2 weeks because of some personal things (Yes, I want to eat too).

Battle systems and all equipment already prototyped. Personal traits (past and present) - done (not assets, but tables)

Right now I'm working on the most troublesome part - quests, rewards and aspirations. All of them should work with already made material so quest can vary depending on your character personality, map, equipment, race and even previous made quests. I'll make a small illustration about how game would work a bit later. So you can suggest some quest lines and such things.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 23, 2018, 9:55:16 AM

News about progress and mechanics:
First of all player turn would work rather simple: you have 3 action tokens. You can spend those tokens in any way you like, so one token can be: movement, trade, gathering (from hex) special actions for quests. For example on your turn you can: 1-Take quest 2-Move 3-Make quest-related action or 1-Move 2-Gather 3-Gather. And so on.

So, about simple quests: Right now there are 8 quests in total. 3 copies in deck. 4 of them are RACE sensetive - they have some special things for 2 of 8 races each. 4 others - have some other interesting things in them, wich not depend on your character stats. Each village can give you only one quest untill round 10 you will mark it with special tokens. After turn 10 those tokens are removed. Large quests are shuffled into the quest deck. It means you have maximum of 6 village-quests made until 10 turn. and 6 more after it. Ofc it's without ruins quests (total 10 for each artifact). You can have only 1 ruin quest at the same time and if you take another one from ruins deck you MUST give it to your rival. 10-turn reset doesn't work here so you can keep one unfinished quest till the end of the game.

So, if you have Ideas for quests - I'll be glad to see them. I want to make large quests really special and unique so every one of them worked as adventure. Small quests are the way for player to gain some resources and equipment in first part of the game. They can repeat, but I personally want them to be also a bit more unique. and rise the amount of unique simple quests to 12-18.

Also I'm thinking about making hexes 2-sided. First side is summer, second - winter. Maybe simple as part of the design, but maybe as part of the game-design - to make resources in winter less abundant

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 23, 2018, 1:50:26 PM

Gameplay wise, I think fliping the hexes already placed can be a little dificult... For shure, in TTS it can be made very easy, but if you retail an phisical boardgame, you can imagine the mess to flip the hexes. Keep up the good working man!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 23, 2018, 7:54:01 PM

Template for simple quests. I think the best way would be don't use arts for quest-cards. Largest textbox - flavor text and description. Features - unique mechanics used in this quest. objective... well, objective and reward is reward.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 26, 2018, 3:43:29 PM

Right now I've badly stucked with quests. But still, some info about future:
There will be:
Game board with special slots for every card type and hex-net for map and also turn counters, relationship counters and so on - hexes done
12x4=48 influence cards (for interactions between players)

12 - Quest cards (small ones) - done

12 - Adventure cards (large quests) - done

3 - global quests and event cards - done

134 equipment card (well there will be 4 copies of each common tier equipment ofc) - done

8 Race cards - design done

28 - trait-cards - design done

14 - objective cards  - done

About 30 - battle event cards (not decided yet) - done
About 30 - ruin cards (not decided yet) - done 
10 custom d6 dices

d6, d8 and d10 - for skill-checks

1d4 for creature movement
And a LOT of tokens.
And yes, there will be apropriate design for every one of them (...seriously)

...Maybe it's a bit too much? O_o

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 5, 2018, 12:42:32 PM

I'm still working on it - it's A LOT of work (and I've stucked a bit with quests). Here the prototype of the race card. 

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 21, 2018, 5:07:00 PM

There are 2 things left to write: Ruins cards, Adventure and global quest cards, and then I will make design for all of this => First russian language prototype => english version. It's still very far from completion (well, mostly because I'm looking for a job right now) but there is some progress not only with gamedesign but also with design itself :

Doing this all alone is a bit hard :)

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 13, 2018, 1:06:08 PM

All character-related cards are done. Most of equipment cards too. I'm planning to start tests ~ 1 month later after I complete all other assets: quest cards, battle cards, ruin cards, tokens and player-sheets. 

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 20, 2018, 1:24:05 PM

All what's left for Test version are: quest cards, tokens, dices  and player-sheets. About 20%?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 20, 2018, 1:40:59 PM

Are you going to make it public on TTS? I'm brazilian, and I don't speak one word in russian... If you put it in english, it would be a lot easier to test and give you some tips... If you want, of course...

0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 20, 2018, 2:16:21 PM

I'll probably translate it later, but first tests would be with my friends and it's much easier for me and them to do things in russian. Translation also would take some time because I'm only one person and there would be A LOT of text. 

Just making a redesign for ES2 Card game took A LOT of effort and time and there was already balanced-enough system. EL cg is in rough prototype state so many thing would be rewritten in process.

I think I would have finished the game a long time ago if I had not had to waste time looking for work and trying to earn something. This greatly hinders the work. 

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 27, 2018, 9:30:49 PM

First prototype - DONE. Finally some rest. I'm REALLY tired right now. But I've made it. First playtest incoming. Maybe few months from here I'll start make eng version.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message