Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

Understanding Expansion Disapproval

Copied to clipboard!
9 years ago
Oct 24, 2014, 5:09:30 PM
Yes but does dust bonus from unhappy stack between city bonus and empire wide bonus for example?
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 1, 2015, 10:46:08 PM
Think of it this way. L1 boroughs are on the edge of the city - the frontier. Harsher conditions, more likely yo be attacked/face the trials of this planet. L2 boroughs are insulated from this, there is a buffer between the populace and their environment. A L1 borough might have houses for the poor and warehouses but the L2 boroughs have the guilds, more guards, banks, they are the centres of education, wealth and commerce.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Jan 26, 2015, 9:19:13 AM
CaptainPatch wrote:
I wonder about the rationale behind this one. As I see it, "Level 1" is that part of a community that has started to build up rather than out. Essentially, "uptown". Just looking at cities in general, "uptown" generates a greater amount of wealth per square meter than the surrounding "downtown" areas. Things are there that that people want to buy and merchants are more than happy to sell. It may be more crowded uptown, but it is where the cultural centers are found, jobs are to be had, and recreational opportunities abound. Downtown is mainly residential and industries that are too imposing to fit in uptown. Given a choice between having community that is ALL downtown or a community with some uptown and some downtown, I think the majority of people like the idea of there being an uptown. Dissatisfaction generally doesn't start to arise until it is the residential areas that are being piled on higher and deeper -- as in on top of the usual uptown structures. Too many people and not enough of the other stuff is what generally makes for an unhappy community. The "sea of humanity" is what makes life in the Big City unpleasant. But to go from happy people building a new community to an unhappy metropolis takes a LOT of time. So why the negative morale hit happening immediately?

So the rationale I can think of, if this makes sense, is that new districts are basically urban sprawl. I agree that the immediate hit to approval doesn't necessarily make sense, but the end result kind of does, which is that a well-planned city creates economically supported districts that generate more wealth and approval. My Vaulters capital is a dismal place because I was unaware of how this system worked, so with each expansion, I was just land-grabbing, expanding as much as possible, which meant no districts were levelling up, unsupported by any of the surrounding area. So I guess what's happening is that more established districts which are well-supported with surrounding neighborhoods are healthier and happier. Of course, in our own society, this is not even close to what often happens to older city districts, but maybe we can just assume that Auriga's societies know how to economically support their neighborhoods, so city centers are being 'built up' instead of turning into slums.
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Nov 27, 2014, 8:02:00 AM
Understanding expansion disapproval (the short version, for new players):

1) Increasing approval, while not yet "fervent", is a priority second only to increasing industry.

2) Don't let expansion disapproval stop you from settling a new city or making war. Another city is almost always better than the hit you take for it.
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 29, 2014, 11:16:51 PM
Empire expansion reduction does indeed seem to be only applied to the -10 penalties to approval accumulated for each city other than your capital. This makes those techs much less valuable if you do not own several cities, and should not be rushed, but instead picked up mid game as you empire grows from conquest or settlements.

Updated some of the OP to clarify.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 26, 2014, 7:47:23 PM
The important thing is not the number of level 1 districts. The important thing is total levels per districts, and the curve to get there.

You can see that from a 10 tiles stick you get 18 levels. From a 10 tiles triangle you get, again, 18.

The candy bar is less efficient, the one you show has 11 tiles for 19 levels, so at 10 tiles you will be missing 2 levels compared to the other models.

My favorite stays the stick, since it offers a more consistent curve, when you add a district you can expect a level each time after you get it rolling.

Most of the time I am fast expanding so I start with the small triangle (the 6 tiles one) then turn it into a stick by expanding in a direction. This gives a small approval bump early on, then normalizes later even if it is a bit less efficient than a pure stick or triangle build. But it is still better, because it give extra approval early, when you need it most. Later on boosters relieve some of the approval pressure.

That being said, the most logical and optimal way would be to adapt to the terrain you have at hand, using the right model depending on desirable tiles you want to exploit.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 26, 2014, 7:03:00 PM
The most efficient borough placement for approval is the triangle, because there are only three tiles that are not level 2. The hexagon is least efficient as it has six tiles that are not level 2. Most other builds I have experimented with have four tiles which are not level 2, such as the "candy bar".

Obviously approval is such a small consideration when it comes to city placement, but worth knowing.

The unfortunate part is that early game when it's a bit more expensive to maintain boosters and empire plans and thus difficult to maintain approval that way, it is also when your borough placements are least approval-friendly.

Unresized http://i.imgur.com/TDouItv.png
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 25, 2014, 1:37:54 PM
Can someone help me verify a theory. I am beginning to wonder if the technology and hero skills that reduce disapproval by a % may be limited to specific penalties.

For example, does the 25% reduction to empire disapproval apply to all negate modifiers in all cities, or just the -10 accumulated for each city, or does it only apply to your disapproval rating for your Empire and not individual cities at all?

I will look into it when I have time, further assistance woukd be appreciated.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 25, 2014, 12:49:04 PM
I went ahead and added the information on the thresholds to the original post. They may need adjusting as people verify the information.

It is becoming clear to me that I need to go back through and make a real distinction between Empire Approval and City Approval. They are two sides of the same coin, but have unique interactions as well, and I don't feel the post currently expresses this well enough. I'll keep editing till it sounds better.

Thanks for all the input so far and keep up with the feedback and information so I can continue to provide a quality resource for new players.
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44:15 AM
In fact you have a bug or you did quote the wrong penalties as in the xml files (those that drives the effects in game) the city bonus/malus are only for food and prod while the empire bonus/malus are only for dust/science.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 25, 2014, 12:36:21 AM
VieuxChat wrote:
Dust bonus from unhappy ? From happy you mean ?

Yes all the bonuses stacks. So an extatic city in an extatic empire will get the Food/Ind/Dust/Science Bonus.

Yes and no. Look at the list of bonuses i posted for cities. You will notice that they all affect food and production, except "unhappy" that affects dust and science.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 24, 2014, 5:22:32 PM
Dust bonus from unhappy ? From happy you mean ?

Yes all the bonuses stacks. So an extatic city in an extatic empire will get the Food/Ind/Dust/Science Bonus.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 22, 2014, 4:57:39 PM
Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of threads about this topic and figured we could condense all the knowledge into one easy to read thread. Enjoy.

Approval is a measurement of how Happy and motivated your empire is. It is measured in 2 ways that are basicly two sides of the same coin, but with subtle differences. The reason you should care and be aware of Approval is because depending on your levels, you can incur massive penalties or bonuses to your FIDS output, which is essential to success in EL.

City Approval: Each individual city has its own unique approval rating. This rating will always start at 60% approval, which is content and impresses no modifiers to FIDS output. However, many factors can manipulate that rating. City Approval directly affects Food and Production output for a city, and influences your Empire Approval.

Empire Approval: your empire approval is located on the Empire Summary page. It is basicly the average of all your cities individual approval ratings. Empire Approval holds the same threshold bonuses and penalties as city approval carries, but instead applies them to your science and dust output for all your cities.

Below is (hopefully with enough community input) a comprehensive list of the various modifiers to be aware of.

Approval Thresholds:

These are the same for your empire and each individual city. City approval affects only food amd production in that city, while Empire Approval Effects dust and science in all cities.

Rebellion :

0-14

-50% FIDS

Unhappy

15-39

-20% FIDS

Content

40-60

No effect

Happy

61-89

+15% FIDS

Fervent

90-100

+30% FIDS

Negative modifiers to Approval:

1. Each city owned creates a global -10 empire expansion penalty to the approval of all cities. So three cities owned by a faction will generate -30 approval in each city. *see special rules below regarding capitol cities.

2. Each level 1 district built by a city applies a -10 approval penalty on that tile for that city only. A city with two level 1 districts will generate -20 approval on tiles in that city.

3. When a newly conquered city is taken, it will start at 0 approval and slowly gain it back over several turns, up to the maximum amount of approval available after all modifiers are taken into account within your empire. Adding temporary buffs like luxuries or purchasing city structures that increase approval do not increase the rate at which you will gain this back, but raise the maximum amount achieved once the allotted period of unrest is completed.

4. A city that is under siege will incur -10 hit to approval until the siege is broken.

Positive modifiers:

1. All capital cities start with a palace structure pre-built as the city is founded. This structure is unique and removes the -10 global approval penalty to all cities the capital city would normally generate, in addition to generating gold, providing an extra militia slot, fortifications buff, and counting as an extractor should you build your city on a resource deposit (once the appropriate tech has been learned of course)...whew!

2. Activating luxury resources temporarily increases happiness by X amount in all cities for there duration. Having multiple resources active at once stacks these buffs, but they cannot increase a city above 100%. Adding more cities to your empire increases the cost of Activating the booster effect. This can make it hard without using the market to maintain a boost indefinitely as your empire grows.

3. Anomaly tiles with a +8 bonus or greater often generate a flat amount of approval for the city that includes them as one of its tiles; usually between +10 and +20 approval. Mouse over Anomalies to pull up their details and check for approval, as it does not show up on the FIDS overlay.

4. Some heroes have an ability to remove the -10 global penalty a city generates if they are the governor of a city. These are unlocked in their skill tree. This does not stack with the palaces effect, and so they are best used in non-capital cities.

5. Some heroes have an ability to reduce the negative approval penalties in a city they govern by a %. This modifier should stack additively with any other % reduction modifiers. So 25% reduction to negative approval from a technology, plus another 25% reduction from a hero = 50% reduction to negative modifiers in that city which he governs.

6. Building up districts to level 2 status increases the approval on that tile from -10 up to +5. There are several good threads that detail efficient city building. Here is one that is a bit dated, but still has sound information if you dig through it.

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/forum/9-tips-tricks/thread/3824-building-big-efficient-cities-borough-streets-leveling-districts

7. Several technologies will allow for the construction of individual city structures that provide a flat approval bonus to the city they are located in. They also generally apply various other bonuses to FIDS when approval thresholds are reached. Remember that mid to late game, large established cities with decent FIDS output benefit more from % modifiers than further flat bonuses. Approval modifiers for a Fervent (+30%), or Happy (+15%) city can significantly increase all your FIDS production.

8. Several technologies, once unlocked will apply a global % reduction to all negative empire expansion approval modifiers accumulated on each city. The % reductions should stack additivly with all others of the same kind. For example, 2 technologies each worth 25% reduction should apply a 50% reduction to empire expansion penalties. This only applies to the accumulated -10 approval modifiers collected by having multpile cites. It will not reduce the negative approval from tiles in your city created by level 1 districts.

9. Once your faction reaches the second age, the second tier of one side of the Empire plan offers a flat +25 approval to all cities for the duration of that plan. Keep in mind the more cities you possess, the more influence this flat bonus will cost to activate.

Faction Specific Modifiers:

Vaulters: when vaulters activate their holy resource booster, expansion disapproval is reduced by 50% to all cities for the duration of the booster effect. This stacks additivly with other global reductions such as those from the technology pools, but again is limited to the -10 approval hits for owning multiple cities only. Not from tiles collected via level 1 districts.

More to come as I have time and the community adds input.
0Send private message
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 24, 2014, 4:19:03 PM
Here's what I can tell from experience, close but maybe not 100% accurate :

Rebellion :

0-14?

-50% food

-50% production

Unhappy

15-39?

-20% dust

-20% Science

Content

40-59?

No effect

Happy

60-89?

+15% Food

+15% Production

Fervent

90-100

+30% Food

+30% Production

Those are the city effects. I am not sure how the empire wide effect intact with those, if at all.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 24, 2014, 2:59:33 PM
I'm trying to find the limits on various approval status before I add them to the thread. I can verify that happy status starts at 65% approval and someone else said Fervent starts at 90%. If I can get verification of all the thresholds myself or from somone in the community I will add it to the main post.

Also, updated wording on how districts add or subtract approval for better clarity.

I don't mind a civil sharing of ideas on the why's of how the game works/should work, but this post is primarily for educating new plsyers on how the game does work. Any help or ideas in improving the quality of that information is most appreciated.

Thanks!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Oct 24, 2014, 8:46:33 AM
I think you need to look on it from a more abstracted way and what it represent...

A city in the game is a mini game within each province and would most likely represent the industrial areas of a province, be it one or several real cities or settlements. When you sprawl your Districts out you add more civilized lands that are harder to control, Level 2 Districts means more opportunity for control, cultural entertainment, job and commercial opportunities thus it counter the effect of losing control.

The Approval rate is not just peoples happiness but also a way to combat corruption and keeping tabs on people, the ability to tax them or organize them into a more cohesive and directed force to produce more stuff for less labour.

If you look at the real world both food and production was in general more efficient in urbanized societies and cultural exchange more rewarding. Keeping your cities together would simulate this fact. I think it is not good to look at the mechanics in the game as what they do but what they simulate from an abstract point if view.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message