Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

The Tester's Guide to the Bug Report

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
May 18, 2017, 5:19:15 PM

Am I misssing how to upload files with this new forum? I'm trying to post a bug, but when making a new thread I just can't find the option

0Send private message
7 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:18:58 AM

Hi everyone!  

We're very glad you guys are putting the Bug Report and the Tech Support forums to good use! So now that you have discovered the wonders of Bug Reporting, I'd like to give you a template so we can effectively use the data you're providing us.

Edit: If you have any question regarding bug reporting, ask away. However,  please do no post bug reports directly under this thread but create your own thread instead. 

EXAMPLE

• Summary / Title: The science penalty from the "Aurora Waves" anomaly is not applied
  • Platform - Which distribution platform did you buy the game from: Steam, Microsoft Game Pass, etc. Put this in [brackets] at the front of your thread title as well, please.
  • Description: If the user discovers the "Aurora Waves" anomaly on one of the colonized planets, it can be noticed that the "-2 Science per Population" penalty is not applied.
  • Steps to Reproduce: 1. Discover the "Aurora Waves" anomaly on one of the colonized planets // 2. Notice that the -2 science per pop penalty is not applied
  • Reproducibility: 5/5
  • Expected Behavior: The science penalty displayed in the tooltip should apply when the "Aurora Wave" anomaly is present on a colonized planet.
  • Version: 0.1.3 S0 ALPHA-Public
  • Notes
  • Attachments: Screenshots / Save / Diagnostics / Output logs / DxDiag

Below, I'll add more details for those who want it.

Thank you in advance and enjoy the game!

-------------------------------------------------------

1. Bug summary / Thread Title

If you're making a new thread, the bug summary should be the title of your thread, if it's not a new thread, include it above the rest of the bug report.

In your bug summary, you should try to explain the bug in a single sentence, as briefly as you can.

I know it's not always easy to find a quick and concise way to summarize a sometimes complex issue, but we'd really appreciate any effort made in this direction.

It's simply because unlike what you might have been told, in this case size matters; and the shorter the better: being able to identify what the bug is about in a single glance instead of reading a 10 lines description every time is, as you can guess, a huge help for our devs.

2. Bug description

The bug description is here to complete the information given in the summary: you can add more detail, explain what are the items within the wide terms you used (ex: if you say "[...] certain technologies [...]" in your summary, you can expand in the description by detailing "Efficient Shielding, Depleted Isotopes and Extreme Composites" for example.)

You can consider the bug description as a way to clear any ambiguity in your summary.

3. Steps to reproduce

This is probably the most crucial part!

Basically, this is a step by step guide to help the poor soul trying to fix the bug. It needs to list everything relevant in order to reproduce your bug.

Remember that devs are coffee-fueled machines, they will follow blindly every steps your indications to try and reproduce the bug on their end.

(Also, bug reports usually have no-brainer steps like "Start the game", "Load a save or start a new game". Unless it's relevant to your issue, I guess you guys can spare yourself the trouble of including those steps)

4. Reproducibility

It is a score, usually out of 5, that shows how consistent the problem is.

Here's a little rundown if the different "Reproducibility":

5/5 - Consistent, happens every time with the described steps and even in other cases that might not be included in the report

4/5 - Mostly consistent, easy to reproduce but sometimes it doesn't happen

3/5 - Mostly inconsistent, feels like it happens only half of the time. At this point, it might be wise to reevaluate the steps to reproduce

2/5 - Inconsistent, it happens... sometimes. At this point, the steps to reproduce are not going to be very helpful

1/5 - Very inconsistent, basically it's either  random or the steps to reproduce aren't correct

Once - It happened once. Never managed to reproduce.

Random - The bane of our devs It happens at a variable frequency but the steps to reproduce cannot be identified

5. Expected behavior

This might be the most tricky part for you guys since in some cases you can only guess what the expected behavior is.

This section is usually the part you use to describe what is supposed to happen and how it differs of the current state of things.

Don't worry too much about this, though: most of the time, the expected behavior is either obvious or known on our end and if it's not the case, we can always ask Meedoc

6. Version

By default we consider everyone to be up-to-date until stated otherwise.

The version you're playing has its number displayed in the bottom right corner of the main menu.

7. Notes

This is the place to shove any additional information or remark that didn't feel like it belonged anywhere else.

8. Attachments /!\

Don't forget to attach useful files if you feel like they are relevant.

• Screenshots (you can edit them to add a beautiful red circle made on MS Paint to help us identify the issue)
  • Save files (be it manual saves or autosaves and don't worry we're not going to judge if you're playing Ecologist Cravers)
  • Diagnostic files (located by default under "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Endless Space 2\Temporary Files" -- for Mac users: "User/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/Endless Space 2/Temporary Files") and select the correct file by looking at the name like "Diagnostics - 2016'10'11 @1407'46''" that gives you the date and hour which should correspond to a save file)
  • Output logs (one output_log.txt located under Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2 in a folder named in the YYYY-MM-DD_HHMMSS format created in case of crash and one in the EndlessSpace2_Data folder -- for Mac users User/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log )
  • Dump files for Multiplayer (located by default under C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Endless Space 2\Dump Files\ -- for Mac users: "User/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/Endless Space 2/Dump Files")
    Zip the folder named like _DesyncReport.001.d0538fe6-0de7-4f7b-a30e-4bcee38bbd45_ (the first three numbers are the turn the dump was made on, the rest is irrelevant)
  • DxDiag (PC only): Attach a DxDiag report. This is only relevant if your bug has to do with crashing, artefacts or something. If it's only affecting gameplay, a DXDiag isn't necessary.
  • Apple System Profiler (Mac only): Copy and paste the content of the Apple System Profiler report (do not attach the report file directly, we can't use it!)

!--If your upload is larger than 4MB, there's a chance you'll encounter an error. Either compress the files into a .zip or a similar archive format (.7z / .rar) or try to host it externally if it's still above the 4MB limit--!

That's all for now folks! I know this is asking a lot of you since you might not have the time or the will to go through what seems to be a tedious process, but reporting your bugs like explained above would be very helpful for us to centralize, track and update our bug database. Again, do your best, we'll take all the help we can.

Thanks again!

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 27, 2018, 7:07:34 PM

So lets try it again

• Summary / Title: Ai totally dead 
  • Description: old saves the turn never ends/ new game AI doing nothing at all
  • Steps to Reproduce
  • Reproducibility: 5/5
  • Expected Behavior
  • Version: G2G Balance mode
  • Notes
  • Attachments: Save ai bug.sav
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 25, 2018, 10:42:33 AM

Hi ! I have got a problem with the new testing update, first it worked fine then you made smoe small adjustments to it and since then the game we palyed does not want to finish the turn. We started a new game where we discovered at turn 30 that all of the AI players are totally inactive including the pirates.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Nov 20, 2017, 4:27:53 PM

Crash reports - Game crashes only when starting the game.

Endless Space 2.zip

In ~ 20hours just 2 crashes.. no big deal. game rocks! except music.. its sad, but less sad than EL so its improvement. :P

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 18, 2017, 3:30:14 PM

Hello,

In the future, I recommend you make your own thread when reporting a bug for visibility reasons :)

Regarding your question about the best way to report a bug and send us the necessary files to make a complete report, please find all the information you may need here.

You can attach files using the "Upload File" button in the text toolbar when composing a reply.

Cheers,

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 18, 2017, 2:30:22 AM

Basically, I have had a game breaking CTD @ turn 231!!! No matter what options are attempted, nor how many far in advance of the death turn I load, it crashes. I've tried all of the usual fixes, to no avail. Horribly frustrating and dissapointing. Please help - Thank you. I was loving the game, but this may keep me from playing further, or recommending the game. 

Inform me as to the best way to forward the save files in question.

GeForce GTX 1070

version 387.92

i76700HQ; CPU @ 2.60Hz

15.94Gb Ram

1920 x 1080 75Hz  No hardware issues, obviously...

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
7 years ago
May 26, 2017, 10:43:11 PM

Do you have instructions for finding the MAC save files.  I keep looking around /Users/thomas/Library/Application Support/unity.Amplitude studios.Endless space 2, but I can't find the file.  I wanted to report a bug.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 23, 2017, 10:11:35 AM
Groo wrote:
Float wrote:

Am I misssing how to upload files with this new forum? I'm trying to post a bug, but when making a new thread I just can't find the option

Use the icon next to the black camera (the white paper).

There was a brief time, shortly after the launch, where the that icon (amog others) was nowhere to be found. But it's fixed now!

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 21, 2017, 11:33:17 PM
Float wrote:

Use the icon next to the black camera (the white paper).

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 16, 2017, 9:11:19 AM

Yeah, you are not the first one to ask about the search function and I'm afraid you won't be the last

Unfortunately our web team is very small and has a lot to do, so I don't think we'll be able to fix that very soon

Here's the search function:

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 11, 2017, 1:33:48 AM

How can you search your forum to see if an error has already been reported.?

Like the UI of your games, your site is beautiful.  Unlike the games though, the unique format doesnt feel intuitive.  

0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 16, 2017, 9:11:49 AM

Hi there

What should I post in the Bug Reports forum, as opposed to the Game Design forum or the Ideas section? For instance, I posted about some poor diplomatic deal-making behavior in a Steam post, and someone suggested adding it here so I can attach a Save file. Not sure if that constitutes a bug, since I believe the AI is behaving as programmed, even if not necessarily as intended.

Are suggestions for improvement or change requests better placed in the Game Design forum or the Ideas section?

It all depends on what you have in mind. If you have a precise idea of what feature would be a great addition or how we could change an existing one to make it better, Ideas are the place to post!

If you just want to point out a balancing issue, discuss of the design or balance of the game, then Game Design is the right place for you

Bug Reports however, is for when you encounter an error, a bug or in general a difference between the way the game behaves and the way it should behave. 

However, if you're documenting a report and regularly editing the original post with additional or more up-to-date info, then I'd recommend you bump it after major changes, by posting in you're own thread with a little changelog like: "Bump, updated original report with X and Y"

Doing this will make your updates more visible!

Unfortunately, editing a post does not make it more visible for us

Just to be clear, if I edit my own post in Thread X, you won't be notified. But if I add a second "Bump" post to that same Thread X as suggested, you will be notified? Is this also true of Ideas, such as if I expand on someone else's idea that was submitted a month ago?

Yep, that's right. Editing your post doesn't notify anybody. Bumping it (posting a new message in order to make the thread more visible) will not only bump your thread up in the thread list, but it will also notify people who are following the thread.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 14, 2017, 7:51:38 PM

Thanks for making it easier for us to make things easier for you ;-) A couple of questions, since I'm new...

What should I post in the Bug Reports forum, as opposed to the Game Design forum or the Ideas section? For instance, I posted about some poor diplomatic deal-making behavior in a Steam post, and someone suggested adding it here so I can attach a Save file. Not sure if that constitutes a bug, since I believe the AI is behaving as programmed, even if not necessarily as intended.

Are suggestions for improvement or change requests better placed in the Game Design forum or the Ideas section?

However, if you're documenting a report and regularly editing the original post with additional or more up-to-date info, then I'd recommend you bump it after major changes, by posting in you're own thread with a little changelog like: "Bump, updated original report with X and Y"

Just to be clear, if I edit my own post in Thread X, you won't be notified. But if I add a second "Bump" post to that same Thread X as suggested, you will be notified? Is this also true of Ideas, such as if I expand on someone else's idea that was submitted a month ago?

Thanks for a really promising product even at this early stage!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 7:00:47 PM
WeaponizedCaffeine wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for your help! Keep up the good work

Gotcha, I did make a bump post reporting  on it and just modified the original post to reflect the latest version the problem is recurring in

Happy to help!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 9:04:48 AM

Hello!

Thank you for your help! Keep up the good work

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 23, 2017, 5:18:14 PM

Hello,

I'd like to ask, if i edit and post replies to continually report on and update an issue that persists through updates, will this be noticed and be of use to you?

I put a lot of effort into documenting my initial report so I'd like to not have to make a separate report on the same issue that's persisting through updates, so what I've done is simply update my original topic with editing and posting a reply in it.

Not sure if you guys want me to do something else instead, so let me know if I should keep it up or not.

Thanks in advance.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message