Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

[AI] Cases of AI neglecting basic defense measures.

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Aug 17, 2019, 8:43:02 PM

I get it when AI fails at long-term planning or gets outmaneuvered by a human player, but when they don't lift a finger to stop trivial yet supposedly painful harrasement - I see it as a bug.

1. AI doesn't put a defensive program on its home system even after it was hacked multiple times in a row.

Description.

In all my 3 playthroughts in Penumbra I could hack AI capital system with impunity. AI doesn't place defensive programs on it, no matter how many times it has been hacked recently. They do shield outer systems, but once they've been breached and backdoored, and you start spamming hacks on home system, AI does not reassign their programs accordingly. It's just rediculous, hacking faction home system every 2-4 turns. Unless you add self-imposed handicap of not doing so. They do clean sleepers tho.

Steps to reproduce 

Load my savegame, look south, where Lumeris are, try hacking their home system Aldebaran from hearby backdoor. You'll see that there is no defensive program on it, and none will appear, so really they're at your mercy. Now, they were being hacked repeatedly for the whole game, giving me a lot of free tech, their war attempt is ruined because of immobilized fleets.

Expected behavior.

Version 1.4.21 S5 Gold-Public

Lumeris_Hacking.sav

After I've conquered a system from them, i.e. changed the layout - probably that system had defensive program - they've finally assigned a defensive programm to the capital. Seems that getting "x system was compromised" message doesn't make them reconsider their program assignment.

And it's not Lumeris-only problem: hckin.sav - see Orange (UE) capital system Sathrus 

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 20, 2019, 6:18:34 PM

2. AI does not expel an armed scoutship that repeatedly destroys civilian ships.

Description. 

As Vodyani, I have religious law that allows attacking at enemy territory while at cold war. Naturally, I park an armed scout ship at enemy system, siege it and wait for whatever happens next. That system spawns a civilian ship (carrying population units) every 2-3 turns, I kil itl, then wait for next one, kill it again, and that had been happening for like 20 turns straight, until some stray pirate fleet (of all things...) arrived and ruined the party. 

Here's webcomic version (save file attached).

Steps to reproduce  

Load my savegame, locate Tylus system (northwest), kill civ fleet, activate guard, end turn, end turn, kill civilian fleet. Refuse diplomatic demand to stop attacks.

Reproducibility.

I don't have earlier save, so you'll have to take my word that this has been going for a while. In that case, after turn 83 Tylus stops spawning civ ships for some reason. In my actual game, I went to explore adjacent system (new curios) and was caught/killed by a pirate fleet.

Expected behavior.

Do something!

STupid.sav

Sorry that it's with modding tools on, I tried to figure out what AI was even thinkng. It was an autosave, so "no tools" save is lost now.

Overall, AI doesn't seem to understand the concept of being attacked in cold war by religious faction. From the looks of it, it takes a proper war dec for AI to start contemplating defensive decisions.  But that's more of a mod material than a just a bug. A shame really, was eager to play a proper Vodyani game (never had tthe pleasure), and then I realize that AI just lets me to conquer border system without even a notion of sending relief fleet. Seems like one shouldn' refrain from utilising the "core" law of the only notably religious faction in the game. And why dont they wardec me anyway - I have been sieging and taking systems, attacking fleets, intercepting civilians, exploring "their" curios all the game - surely I deserve at least one wardec, especially as I lag behind in terms of score and army size.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 20, 2019, 6:53:09 PM

3. AI does not attack unarmed Vodyani leechers.

Description.  

The same playtrought, the same savegame even. So I was leeching from a minor civ, eventually AI assimilated it, with its 2-ship fleet. I kept leeching, all AI ever done was sending a request to stop it every 10 turns or so, while all he had to do is to initiate attack action.. Probably it has something to do with that fleet being legacy one from minor civ. Leecher were eventually attacked by random pirate fleet.

Again, short webcomic.

Steps to reproduce  

Load my savegame, locate the Rukbat system (between red and orange factions), skip few turns.

Reproducibility.

Again, it has been happening for a while

Expected behavior.

STupid.sav Again, that it's with modding tools on, I tried to figure out what AI was even thinkng. 

Here's "4 turns later" save Stupid 2.sav without modding tools enabled.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message