Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Favorite Custom Faction build

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Aug 15, 2020, 4:30:24 PM

Vanilla Factions vary in power but being able to create a custom Faction is what keeps me coming back to ES2. Its honestly something I wish Civ 6 would add but it doesn't appear to be in the works any time soon. Anyways, what are some of your favorite Custom Faction builds? Below is one I've come to really like:

Name: Terran(Name really needs improvement)
Gameplay Affinity: Gene Hunter(Horatio)
Visual Affinity: Imperial(United Empire)
Starting Planet: Jungle

Starting Government: Republic
Population Ideology: Industrial with Automatist to boost Industrial Ideology

Population Traits: Extreme Foremen with Planet Menders

Population Collection: Peer Reveiwed(Sophon)

Faction Traits:

Growth Plan III: 30% boost to Food Production

Crowded Planets II: +2 Population cap on Planets

Sowers Minor Population

Price of Perfection: +20% Ship cost, +10% Weapon Damage

Combat Rookies: +30% Manpower Cost

Fledgling Traders: -50% System Trade Value

Off-World Agribusiness

Xenobiology

I wanted to create a custom Faction with as many factions represented as possible. I've come to really like Horatio's ability to enhance its population but not their ships or even quest line. That's where I opted for United Empire since I not only love their quest line but their ships and in particular heroes since they make exceptional Governors. Although you're locked into keeping your population as is in the Quest line(changing it to Sheredyn or Mezari completely overwrites custom population), it comes with 10% boost to Industrial output and a unique improvement that makes one system a Gold and Industrial powerhouse provided it has lots of Influence(not that hard if you assimilate United Empire or Minor Factions like Baghba). United Empire Visual Affinity also comes with +1 Colonization cap and improved Manpower Modules(not too shabby).

I started on a Jungle Planet to fit under the 95 point Affinity cap. Ideally I'd like to use Atoll for the higher base Food and Industrial output along with actually having Science but figured having no Science is better than having no Industry in a Boreal opening scenario. Since we have no base Science to start with, I opted to give myself even more of an early game challenge by having the faction start in a Republic Government. This locks Cram Exam Act, pretty much forcing you to take Super Tax Act(or nothing at all) to start the game. It also kind of forces you to build Cerebral Reality from the start lest you want to wait 14 turns to research your first Technology.

Our starting population has an Industrial Ideology, hence Industrialists will be in power from the start. Industrial laws allow for faster expansion but also increased production(ex: Mineral Misers law). Dust Windfall is also stronger thanks to Republic Government and stacks with Super Tax Act(which is also stronger at +4 Dust). To help keep them in power or in the Senate, I opted for Automatist Ideology. This basically buffs Industrial whenever you have Science events(which is quite often in the early game). These two buffs ought to be enough to keep Industrial in the Senate for the duration of your game. They're unlikely to retain power though(which I'll explain momentarily).

For Population buffs, I opted for Extreme Foremen or the Craver population Trait. Cravers are the locusts of the Universe and they're productive little bugs on unspoiled worlds before they have to move on to the next unspoiled spot once a planet is depleted. To solve the Extreme Foremen malus, you're forced to take Planet Menders as a Secondary Population buff. This cuts the Depletion effect in half but doesn't quite eliminate it. To eliminate the malus, I added in the Sower's Minor Population as our starting Minor Faction. This along with Planet Menders allows you to exploit planets beyond what is normal and if you get a Craver Hero as a Governor... Behemoths can turn a single system into a FIDS supernova. Finally for a Population Collection bonus, I opted for Peer Reviewed or the Sophon Collection bonus. This will ultimately bring the Science Faction into your Senate since at 10 population, Science Ideology is boosted. 20 population buffs Science by 15% and at 50 population, Technology costs are reduced by 20%. At some point in the game, its quite likely that your Science Idelogy will overtake your Industrial Idelogy for power within the Senate. If that occurs, its not the end of the world since you gain some nice benefits, including -10% Technology costs from the base law.Combine that with 50 population bonus and the likelihood that you'll have ITER built thanks to Extreme Foremen means you'll have -30% Technology costs(-40% with Science in power). Assimilate Galvan, Pilgrims and factions that buff Science and you'll easily overtake the Tech lead despite your slow start. Just remember to always choose Petra so you have her as a Science representative(having 2 Imperial Heroes on Senate is better than 1. Plus she's a Seeker so you get the Seeker Movement bonus as well).

As for Faction traits, I opted for Growth Plan III to really get Food Production going since the power of the Faction is growing not only major population fast but minor population as well. The more Food we produce, the faster population appears. To add to the power of population, I added in Crowded Planets II for a +2 population cap on all planets(including Gas). You will notice this effect right from the start and especially in the mid to late game when you start populating Sterile and Gas Planets for their insane yields. For Minor Population, we will choose Sowers since they're cheap at 5 points and are mandatory if we wish to remove the Depletion malus on our Population. Our starting Technologies are Off-World Agribusiness and Xenobiology. Honestly you can go with any two Techs in a custom Faction but I opted for these two for the following reasons. 1) Assimilating Minor Factions is paramount for Gene-Splicing(plus extra faction traits are a bonus). Having the tech from the start allows you to interact with them along with annoying Pirate factions(if you choose to even start with them). 2) Xenobiology opens up Tier 2 Science(for faster ships at the start) and PPP improvement that will boost your Science(which you need since Jungle has 0 Base Science).

To balance out the buffs of the Faction, I opted to utilize Price of Perfection. With Extreme Foremen, you'll hardly notice the +20% boost to Ship Construction and gain a free 10% boost to Weapon Damage(which stacks with Punisher Drives in UE Quest line). Combat Rookies is another malus that you'll hardly notice since your Food output will dwarf the 30% increase in Manpower costs. Finally, Trading won't be that important to you so having System Trade Value cut by 50% really isn't that much of a malus.

The power of this faction is quite insane. In a particular game I was fortunate to get Jadonyx, Void Stones and Lost Foundries(all three Industrial Luxuries) on System Improvements along with 2 Imperial Heroes in Senate for Titan of Industry. Craver Hero for a Governor in a 5 Hot Planet system led to me getting ~100k Production. It wasn't even ideal since it had just 1 Strategic resource(Hyperium) on a small Medeterranean Planet. Had the two Ash(Small/Large) or two Lava(both Large) had Strategic's, Production could have been far more. I also didn't have population booster active so... yeah you can achieve some sweet production values with this set-up.

I've read about others but I'd like to see what personal favorites you all have.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 16, 2020, 3:45:13 PM

Here's another one that I've written down on paper but haven't really utilized yet to see if it actually works.

Name: Cylons

Description: That's right... Cylons. Forget we even have British accents.

Gameplay Affinity: Continuum Sculptors(Riftborn)

Visual Affinity: Sophons

Starting Planet: Arid

Population Idelology: Science with Aggressive and Audacious to boost Military

Population Traits: Meritocratic Cosmopolites with Efficient Farmers

Population Collection: Peer Reviewed(Sophon)

Faction Traits:
Biophobic: +1 Population cap, +10 Loyalty on Sterile/-1 population cap on Fertile, -2 Loyalty on Fertile

Fast Travelers II: +2 Movement on Ships

Big Fleets II: +2 CP, -25% Ship upkeep

Optimal Defense II: +20% HP on Ships

Price of Perfection II: +20% Ship Cost, +10% Weapon Damage

Fledgling Traders: -50% System Trade Value

Rare Earth Foams

Planetary Landscaping

I've always wanted to do a custom Sophon with different Gameplay mechanics. Just something about them screams "I love Sterile worlds while playing with the fabric of space-time." Unfortunately, the closest thing to a Sterile world that is available in the generic editor(perhaps an update to allow all Planet type starts in Custom Faction screen?) is Arid and only being 5 points really helped on the Faction Tree. Instead of Democracy, I opted to utilize Riftborn's Government of Republic(a Government type I've come to really like). Politically, population is Scientific and will become more Scientific as the population grows with Sophon Peer Reviewed Collection bonus. Yet I also added in two minor Ideology tweaks that cause Military to become more predominant from Industrial and Scientific events(which should be happening often). Goal with this faction is to have not only Science but Military ideology in Senate to take advantage of their Potent tier laws. Combined they yield a nightmarish 90% boost to Weapon Damage and 40% boost to Troop Damage while under a Republic(good luck stopping that).

Sophon population takes the powerful +2 FIDSI primary buff of Meritocratic Cosmopolites and adds an additional Food buff of Efficient Farmers that increases Food Output by 5 on Sterile worlds. Although the starting world is not Sterile(the only downside with respect to Food and Loyalty), it should allow to quickly get improvements and colonize other planets to overcome this less than ideal start. Science will also be an issue early on so its recommeneded to build Cerebral Reality and colonize Cold Planets(like Barren) to make up for Science deficiency.

For Faction Traits, Biophobic is frankly mandatory since Sterile worlds are open for colonization immediately. The Population maluses from Fertile worlds shouldn't be much of an issue since most Fertile worlds typically spawn with positive buffs and if not, Sterile worlds will easily overcome that and then some. Mobility has always been the Sophon theme so Fast Travelers II gives all ships +2 Movement. I match the Cravers with Big Fleets II that adds +2 CP to Fleet Capacity while also cutting Ship upkeep by 25%(allowing you to build Ships early and often). Optimal Defenses II increases Ship HP by 20%, half of what Fleet Fortitude Decree would yield in a Republic and might give the Unfallen a run for their money. As for starting Technologies, I opted for Rare Earth Foams and Planetary Landscaping. Rare Earth Foams under the Riftborn Colonization tree unlocks Arid Planets, hence giving access to a solid Industrial rich base while giving an extra movement point to start with thanks to Tier 2 Science. Planetary Landscaping was chosen to help jumpstart Food Production on our starting Arid world and unlocks Tier 2 Empire for our Attacker/Protector Hulls for those thinking of rushing for them.

To offset our buffs, I opted for the tried and true Price of Perfection II. Increases Ship cost 20% but comes with a free 10% boost to Damage. The Ship cost won't be too bad with an Arid Planet start and even more so with Sophon's first Military Quest(-15% Ship cost) or Lower Fleet Costs Rule(-20%) in Military Law tree. The other malus I chose is Fledgling Traders, which is inconsequential since this faction favors Military action over Peaceful Trade.

Feedback appreciated!

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 16, 2020, 8:09:26 PM

I've long upheld that the faction editor needs some tweaking for balance and usability; I think it could extend the life of ES2 considerably to have more coherent faction building elements.  Kudos on being gutsy enough to try making the Riftborn affinities work separately; they're tightly married to each other, making them hard to use apart.

That said, I've tried a few custom concepts myself; some work great, others don't work at all.  One of my most successful ones was a horatio+emperor's will combo.  It's meant to maximize influence production so you can buy literally EVERYTHING through Emperor's Will.  Ships, improvements, luxuries, tech, minor factions, SYSTEMS, you name it.  Go for everything that gives you influence and terraform worlds to savannah planets, then just get rid of minor pops.  It's similar to vanilla Horatio in that you have to do some pop management, mainly sending garbage pops (meaning everything but your own) to "graveyard" systems so they starve out.  You'll also have to pay close attention to defense since you'll have zero combat bonuses, but if you're getting your heroes, growing enough pops and pumping out enough influence to force peace often enough it won't matter.  You'll have to make use of all your options to fight off a Craver neighbor (because the game WILL spawn them next to you, like the B#%*^ it is) but if you can stave off the enemy and find systems in a good spot the galaxy will acknowledge your SUPERIOR CULTURE as your influence circles BLOT OUT THE STARS.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 16, 2020, 8:42:29 PM

Here's another I've been trying to make work but I guess I haven't really figured out the optimal playline or something.  It takes the Lumeris, makes them fanatical slave drivers who only add approval expecting their slaves to provide FIDSI bonuses (HAPPINESS IS MANDATORY,) lets them go for maximum trade HQs and counterinflation so they can simply buy out what they need and maintain lots of fleets.  It really seems to struggle a bit early; not sure if it's quite up to snuff yet.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 12:13:18 AM

Doesn't add any faction traits or anything, but you'll be able to get more variety in your populations by using one of my old mods:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1858283819

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 11:47:23 AM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

Doesn't add any faction traits or anything, but you'll be able to get more variety in your populations by using one of my old mods:

Hmm I'll take a look but honestly updating the Custom Faction Editor would be the way to go rather than using a mod. My recommendation would be to take the Planet list and flip it on its head when Continuum Sculptors is selected in the Gameplay Affinity(where Lava and Barren would easily be 15 points, if not 20+ due to their yields) or simply allow us to choose between 2 Sterile Planets: Toxic or Desert. Although high on the Dust yield at 6 and 8 respectively, they're really not so overpowered that they're game breaking starts. I mean Nakalim start on a unique Desert planet so why not a Custom Faction?

Daynen wrote:

I've long upheld that the faction editor needs some tweaking for balance and usability; I think it could extend the life of ES2 considerably to have more coherent faction building elements.  Kudos on being gutsy enough to try making the Riftborn affinities work separately; they're tightly married to each other, making them hard to use apart.

That said, I've tried a few custom concepts myself; some work great, others don't work at all.  One of my most successful ones was a horatio+emperor's will combo.  It's meant to maximize influence production so you can buy literally EVERYTHING through Emperor's Will.  Ships, improvements, luxuries, tech, minor factions, SYSTEMS, you name it.  Go for everything that gives you influence and terraform worlds to savannah planets, then just get rid of minor pops.  It's similar to vanilla Horatio in that you have to do some pop management, mainly sending garbage pops (meaning everything but your own) to "graveyard" systems so they starve out.  You'll also have to pay close attention to defense since you'll have zero combat bonuses, but if you're getting your heroes, growing enough pops and pumping out enough influence to force peace often enough it won't matter.  You'll have to make use of all your options to fight off a Craver neighbor (because the game WILL spawn them next to you, like the B#%*^ it is) but if you can stave off the enemy and find systems in a good spot the galaxy will acknowledge your SUPERIOR CULTURE as your influence circles BLOT OUT THE STARS.

Thank you for the support. One thing I've noticed with what I have in my custom Sophon faction is that my start is shall we say really poor. If I could start with Sterile(like Toxic) to unlock the secondary Food bonus it wouldn't be an issue but since Arid Planets have a 2 Food base yield(not to mention a -3 Loyalty malus that Biophobic doesn't apply towards), I don't produce enough Food to keep my starting population fed and that's even with Toys for Boys bumping things to Happy for +10% production. Even at Escatic I don't think it'd be enough since Arid's Food yield is just too low(would produce 8 base plus 2 from Escatic for 10 Food total. Consumes 13 Food or so if memory serves, hence has no solution with present parameters).

One potential solution to this is to take the Vaulter's Involuntary Nomads ability in exchange for Optimal Defense II(extra HP is a luxury as I see it). That way I can pick and choose what planet to start on as opposed to having an Arid start. I only wish that if we chose Involuntary Nomad trait that it would exclude Starting Planet from your Faction Trait total since you'll be paying 10 points(plus whatever your Starting Planet pick happens to be for a minimum of 15 and valuable Faction Trait slot(pretty steep if I say so myself)) just for the right to start the game on a Rejuvenation Field and hoping there is a golden system nearby for immediate colonization. If that change were to be applied, I could take Fledgling Traders malus off and have room for a 5 point bonus(like Efficient Explorers I, Pirate Slayers or Big Brother) as opposed to simply having 7 Traits and being stuck at my max Trait total. Oh well as they say....

As for your custom Horatio, that is a bit intriguing. Might I suggest the following tweak: Swap Guardians(40) for Growth Plan III(40). Said so yourself that you don't like Minor Population, why have Guardians taking up valuable population real estate even if they appear infrequently as they do? I mean I know they boost Influence and are solid defenders but so is Dark Glitter Luxury(underrated may I add when it comes to defending against an invasion) and Edence Incense(although I prefer Giga Lattice for obvious reasons). The extra Growth will really help in the early game while making Combat Rookies malus irrelevant.

For your custom Lumeris, that's a tricky one. Slave Drivers basically applies a -10 Loyalty(or Happiness penalty) for each Minor Population in exchange for them doubling their FIDSI output. If you have 15 minor population, that's a -150 Loyalty malus that is hard to overcome. I do have a simple solution to it though: Biophobic. Namely swap Big Fleets I for Biophobic and then upgrade from Amoeba Minor Population to Niris. You get a bit less output from Niris but their 50 population collection bonus is sheer gold compared to Amoeba's. Place your Major population on Fertile Planets(where your inherent Loyalty buff negates Biophobic Malus) and place Minor Population on Sterile Planets(ideally Arctic, Ice and Ash where the malus isn't as large). Effectively Biophobic wipes out Slave Driver malus, leaving just the issue of counteracting Sterile planet malus(-8 Barren and Lava in particular) and Overpopulation. Might consider swapping from Autocracy to either Republic or Democracy and utilizing Senator Bob Act to further cut down on Loyalty issues.

Oh and if Blockade Breakers isn't a mandatory trait, might consider a 2nd Techonology or Utopian Infrastructure to further boost Loyalty. Since the bulk of your traits center aound Trade, Utopian Infrastructure and System Development seemed like a logical conclusion.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 2:19:29 PM

Well the guardians trait was a recent experiment that's actually been fairly helpful; while they aren't my majors, they are easy to discover and give a big influence boost for basically zero investment; they can also be sacrificed at any time for a bonus to make room for one more major pop; just having growth plan makes ALL pops grow faster, including minors.  Like any custom faction, it's a work in progress.  As for combat rookies, it's one of the many maluses that is, in my opinion, almost always irrelevant anyway.

As for the slave drivers, it would be REALLY GREAT if we could find out a minor population's collection bonuses from the custom faction menu instead of having to play an entire game building them up just to see it or go look it up on a wiki (HINT HINT POLISH TEAM.)  As far as the approval maluses go, given that the major pop is all about forcing approval, the trick is having just enough of them on-planet to keep the slaves in line; liberal use of population boosting on the major makes a huge difference on that one.  Also, I can't really prove it but I feel like I see niris spawning in the galaxy more often than amoebas.  Autocracy made sense to me since you don't want your myriad slaves overturning your government and messing up your laws.  I like the potential of biophobic, but it then demands sterile planets, which cannot be terraformed if the need arises; also given this is another pop-management heavy faction, it does need a bit of military backing, so big fleets helps keep them competitive in battle.  Hedonists+naturalists ensures they're always generating happiness and generating a LOT of it when you find/terraform temperate worlds.  Blockade breakers is mainly meant to protect the main strat of massing trade HQs once they're online, though admittedly it can be hard to really get that rolling.  Utopian infrastructure COULD permanently solve some approval issues, but again, it takes a little work to get there.  Might be worth some more testing in this version though.  My theory is that once they DO get some momentum they should have a STAGGERING economic advantage through trade routes; it's just getting there that seems to be the trick.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 2:32:17 PM

While thinking on my slave driver Lumeris, I had an incredible idea.  See if you follow this one.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 3:30:22 PM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

Also, this?  Right here?  This needs to be step 1 of any potential official rework of the editor.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 4:33:44 PM

When I play I tend to play modded at the moment, but very slow trees are always fun if you survive the beginning :D

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 17, 2020, 6:43:34 PM
Daynen wrote:

While thinking on my slave driver Lumeris, I had an incredible idea.  See if you follow this one.

Before i comment on that Riftborn one, my suggestions for the Lumeris Slave Drivers was merely to help control the minor population malus to maximize the FIDSI from enslaved population. Little reason to have Slave Drivers if you werent going to have systems with at least 50%(if not higher) in slaves. Utilizing Biophobic would allow you to place all your enslaved population on Sterile worlds while your Slave Masters enjoy life on Temperate worlds. Since the Terraform mechanic is unchanged(Riftborn Gameplay Affinity flips colonization and terraform to favor Sterile worlds, whereupon Biophobic is a mandatory trait), you can terraform Sterile systems to your hearts content to keep loyalty in check. Biophobic would lend a considerable hand in this by increasing housing for your Slaves while making it far easier to control them(and not needing a Death Star to instill fear... yeah Death Star.... who needs a Planet Cracker or Obliterator... lmao). Anyways, for the Riftborn variant, you can control how many Slave Masters are on each system since Rfitborn visual affinity requires that you build your population. It also means that food consumption will be far less since your major population requires no food and you can expand like mad to set up a wide empire from which to fill with Slaves(hence the Federation Government and Ecology is a strong choice). Yet the Core Worlds buff is kind of contradictory to the Riftborn's strength of settling multiple outposts at once(get Thinkers and Tinkers I from assimilating Pulsos and you can settle Colonies in as little as 1 turn...). Not sure what id replace it with(starting minor population?) but its a solid buff to have while you have it. Like with your Lumeris variant, Biophobic would really work well but with your current traits its just an alternative. Priority would be to try and maximize buff from Harmonius II, although you can sign Peace/Alliance with only so many factions and without Pacifists in power, you can't force Peace to grab that +8 boost. Question I have is what other faction joins your Ecologists? Wont be Military or Religious so im leaning Industrialist since Fleet Fortitude and their production laws would help a great deal. Ill post my own Slave Drivers faction sometime soon but i have to iron out things first.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 18, 2020, 2:19:47 PM

So here's my Slave Driver's variant. I was so torn on what Faction Traits to go with but I figured that having 8 Traits was better than having just 7 under my original draft. So without further ado, I give you the Galactic Empire:

Name: Galactic Empire
Description: The Galactic Empire is a de facto Caste System where the ruling Elite call the shots and the rest of the Empire are their personal slaves. To give the impression of being compassionate, the ruling Elite has given everyone the right to vote but power is still based within the ruling coalition of Political Elites.

Gameplay Affinity: Slave Drivers
Visual Affinity: United Empire

Starting Planet: Atoll

Starting Government: Democracy

Population Ideology: Ecology with Inquisitorial

Population Traits: Meritocratic Cosmopolites and Euphorists

Population Collection: Boundless(United Empire)

Faction Traits:

Biophobic

Utopian Infrastructure

Luxury Connoisseurs

Big Fleets II

Price of Perfection II

Off World Agribusiness

Xenobiology

Niris Minor Population

When making this faction I wanted to try and maximize the bonus from Slave Drivers as much as possible. With 100 points to work with as opposed to 95, that meant I could spend a bit more on my starting world and hence I opted for an Atoll since its got the highest Industrial yield of the starting Fertile worlds(even more than Jungle) while having a solid Food, Dust and even modest Science yield. I chose Democracy for a starting Government for a few reasons. The first and most obvious reason is that it gives +1 Loyalty to all population, hence making all -1 Planets neutral when it comes to Loyalty. It also yields the greatest amount of Laws at 6 from which to administer this Slave powerhouse as you'll need the talents of three Political Ideologies instead of 2. 

The population is inherently Ecological, hence you start with Ecology in power. Their base Law allows colonization of all non-gas planets. This means your starting system will be colonizable from Turn 1, allowing you to exploit the vast resources of Sterile Planets despite the 25% penalty(hardly much when your Slaves have double the output, netting a 150% output as a result). You will also need the services of Science and Industry. Science can lower the cost to improve systems(Dirty Hands) while later on improving Fleet Mobility(Star Boogie), System Growth(Need to Breed) and Combat Effectiveness of your Fleet(Mine's Bigger). To ensure Science becomes a part of your Democratic Government, I opted to add the Inquisitorial trait so that  +Industrial also yields +Science. As for Industrial Ideology, they'll be useful for establishing Outposts(New Colony Rule), maximizing Slave Exploitation(Mineral Miser's and Work not Shirk) and buffing your fleet with more resilient ships(Fleet Fortitude). For Industrial ideology to become a force in the Senate, I opted to select the Boundless Collection bonus or that of United Empire. This will ensure Industrial ideology has a strong presence during each Election cycle while also boosting our Influence output to not only pay for the many laws we will be using but also to ensure our sphere of Influence is not threatened.

Our starting Population is named Imperial and starts with the Meritocratic trait of +2 FIDSI. It is further enhanced with the Euphorists trait so as to have additional Loyalty on Fertile worlds. This is done to offset the malus of our first Faction Trait in Biophobic. Biophobic applies a -2 Loyalty malus to Fertile worlds while adding a +10 Loyalty to Sterile ones. It also applies a +1/-1 bonus/malus respectively to population caps, hence Sterile worlds have more room for Slaves. The Biophobic trait effectively removes the malus from Slave Drivers when your Slaves are placed on Sterile worlds. Neutral and Fertile worlds won't cut it so population management will be essential to maintain order on systems. To help with maintaining Order, I added in Utopian Infrastructure. This adds a +1 Loyalty bonus for each stage of System Development, maxing out at +3 at level 4. This synergizes well with our starting Slave Population in the Niris. Although they inherently provide a modest boost in Food, +10% Food at 20 population when present on system, its their 50 population Law that really shines. The Niris Law is effectively a free Utopian Infrastructure upgrade while adding a flat bonus of +5 Loyalty per stage on system(+20 at level 4). Niris Law and Utopian Infrastructure effectively give +4 Loyalty to all population, negating planet malus on Snow, Arid, Ice, Arctic, Ash and Gas planets(leaving just Lava, Barren and Toxic).

One of the reasons I chose United Empire was that you get +1 Colonization cap or effectively half of what you'd get under a Federation Government. The other perk of Federation is a reduction to System Development so I opted to pick Luxury Conoisseurs to give this faction the perks of having a Federation Government without actually having it. Yet instead of 20% under Federation, Luxury Conoisseurs is a 25% reduction. To defend this Empire from outside threats, I opted to utilize Big Fleets II. This buffs CP by 2 and reduces Ship upkeep by 25% and makes early aggression an option since United Empire's Exploration ships are also capable early-game combat ships.

For starting Technologies, I opted for Off-World Agribusiness and Xenobiology. Off-World Agribusiness yields Infinite Supermarkets or +10 Loyalty in a pinch if you need it on a system but also the ability to communicate with Pirates and Minor factions. Since our base population has +2 Influence, we can use that to quickly assimilate other factions to enlarge and diversify our Slave population. As for Xenobiology, this unlocks Tundra planets from the start and yields PPP or the strongest early-game Science improvement available. It also unlocks Tier 2 Science for +3 Engine Modules, hence granting a +1 Movement bonus for your ships. The only "malus" trait our faction has is Price of Perfection II that increases Ship costs 20% but also increases Weapon Damage by 10%. Since our Slaves will be producing quite a lot on Sterile Worlds, its unlikely you will even notice this malus.

I've yet to try this faction out but I welcome feedback.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 18, 2020, 3:15:01 PM
Barf wrote:
snip because I guess he doesn't know this one yet.

HEHEHEHEHEH.  You need to look up a tabletop game called Paranoia.  You'll get it.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 19, 2020, 5:35:27 PM
Daynen wrote:
Barf wrote:
snip because I guess he doesn't know this one yet.

HEHEHEHEHEH.  You need to look up a tabletop game called Paranoia.  You'll get it.

Eh tabletop games were non-existent in my household. I'll be sure to look it up sometime but not today ;). One thing I did learn though is that Slave Driver's Gameplay Affinity has a perk of +1 Exploration Ships at game start. My ignorance is largely due to me not having played Cravers as a Vanila faction(probably should at some point) but the Exploration Ship perk got me thinking that it shouldn't be exclusive to the Craver Gameplay but rather a perk of their Big Fleets Faction trait. Namely for each stage of Big Fleets you get +1 Exploration Ship at game start. That would mean that Cravers would get +2 Exploration Ships or 3 total since they have Big Fleets II, making them that much stronger Militarily at game start(which makes sense since they're supposed to be aggressive). This change would allow Custom Factions not utilizing Slave Drivers to start the game with more Exploration Ships. If that change were made though, I'd up the cost of Big Fleets to 20 and 35 respectively(got to make it costly to obtain a real unique perk that Big Fleets would provide).

I just started a game with my UE Slave faction and early reaction is that its a strong faction to say the least since UE Exploration Ships can double as capable combat ships(and starting with 2 makes them stronger). I tabled my Sophon faction until I solve the early game issue with Population. I suspect my Vaulter solution is the key but I think updating the Faction Editor to include some Sterile Planets for Starting Planet is the better fix. Your Riftborn Slave Driver faction inspired me to come up with my own take on Riftborn: The Borg. I know its unoriginal but it fits and while I hate their glass cannon Hunter Ships(I like having at least 2 Utility slots for a weapon enhancer), this ought to be pretty fun to play.

Name: Borg

Description: We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.

Gameplay Affinity: Gene Hunter

Visual Affinity: Riftborn

Starting Planet: Arid

Starting Government: Autocracy

Starting Political Ideology: Religious

Population buff: Adept Workers with Anomaly Stalkers

Population Collection: Mass Produced

Faction Traits:
Biophobic

Big Fleets II

Price of Perfection II

Kal'Tik'Ma starting minor population

Fast Travelers II

Xenolinguistics

Plasma Metallurgy

Eternal War

This faction only hits 75 of the 95 Faction points possible but has a particular theme: We are the Borg and we take what we want. To simulate their Hive Mind(akin to the Cravers), the starting Government is Autocracy but unlike the Cravers, the Borg philosophy is more Religious than Militaristic. They're so enamored or devoted towards achieving perfection that its become almost like a Religious Doctrine. To achieve "perfection", they assimilate other species and Horatio's Gameplay Affinity in Gene Hunter fits perfectly with this. Since the Borg don't really grow naturally but are "manufactured", the Riftborn Visual Affinity is the perfect choice here. The Starting Planet is Arid because its the cheapest one available that provides the largest starting Industrial yield.

For Population traits, I opted for Adept Workers. Its the strongest buff for a Cyborg race and I added Anomaly Stalkers to yield a Science bonus for Anomalies. For Collection bonus, I chose Riftborn due to its Wormhole benefit(since the Borg are notorious for tunneling through space). 

Faction Trait wise, they're relatively straight forward. For starters, they dislike Biological life(aka Biophobic) and only value it if it helps them achieve perfection. Otherwise they purge it from existence(razing planets is not only an option, its recommended). Since theyre naturally hostile, Eternal War epitomizes them perfectly and they back up their Religious Zeal with Big Fleets II and Fast Travelers II. Their starting minor population is Kal'Tik'Ma so that once they're assimilated, it adds +3 Loyalty(covering Biophobic malus on Fertile worlds and removing the malus on all -1 and -3 planets, including the Arid world you start on). Alternatively you can swap out the Minor Population for Expansionists II(-50% Overcolonization Penalty) to make this faction even more of a Wide Empire or Constructionist II(+25% Industry) to further boost Industrial output. Starting Technologies are Xenolinguistics and Plasma Metallurgy, unlocking both Tier 1 Strategics from the start along with both Tier 1 Industry improvements.

LMK what you all think.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 20, 2020, 3:43:52 PM

Waitaminute...the Slave Driver affinity starts you with an extra exploration ship?  What the hell?

Now see...this is what I'm talking about when I keep telling the team they need to rework some things.  I don't mind that there's a way to start with extra ships; I mind that it's NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE IN ANY TOOLTIP.  Without specific experimentation in search of precisely this unlabeled benefit, how was ANYONE supposed to know this?  I REALLY hope the polish team has stuff like this on their list.

That is a pretty accurate take on the Borg though.  I would find a couple other bonuses to get that score up to the cap; I don't see the point in pureposefully going under when some of the vanilla races are ABOVE the cap in the first place. Maybe deadly weapons?  Borg weapons are usually quite good at finding their way through defenses.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 20, 2020, 8:59:34 PM
Daynen wrote:

Waitaminute...the Slave Driver affinity starts you with an extra exploration ship?  What the hell?

Now see...this is what I'm talking about when I keep telling the team they need to rework some things.  I don't mind that there's a way to start with extra ships; I mind that it's NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE IN ANY TOOLTIP.  Without specific experimentation in search of precisely this unlabeled benefit, how was ANYONE supposed to know this?  I REALLY hope the polish team has stuff like this on their list.

That is a pretty accurate take on the Borg though.  I would find a couple other bonuses to get that score up to the cap; I don't see the point in pureposefully going under when some of the vanilla races are ABOVE the cap in the first place. Maybe deadly weapons?  Borg weapons are usually quite good at finding their way through defenses.

Yep Slave Drivers has a perk of +1 Exploration Ships. Cravers quest line also yields an early Coordinator Ship as well(long before anyone would even have the ability to build them, much less Attacker and Protector class Ships(unless you rush for them)). Deadly Weapons did occur to me when making the Borg so consider that an alternative to starting Minor Population. Only takes you to 90 points though since Deadly Weapons II is just 20 Faction points. Eternal War is also free malus points when you don't have Militarists in charge(not that I mind with +1 Influence and the ability to control Minor Population with Religion). Through 80 Turns on my Borg game and I'm loving them so far. Still prefer Gene Hunter with Growth Plan III since having to build population makes Riftborn vulnerable until they get their population/economy up and running to snowball levels.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 22, 2020, 2:51:21 PM

Of the builds I've posted so far, here's how I'd rank them:

#1 Gene Hunter with Extreme Foremen/Planet Menders and Sowers: This build is so OP its not even funny. Literally any Visual Affinity would work with this. With Growth Plan III adding to Population growth(especially early game. Swap to Constructionist III with Riftborn Visual Affinity for obvious reasons since Riftborn wont take food or you want to buff Minor propagation further with Growth III) and Crowded Planets II making even Sterile/Gas Planets monsters in the mid-late game, this set-up can feasibly break 100k production on an Industrial rich system(and that's without Population Boosters).

#2 Continuum Sculptors with Sophons(or another visual except Riftborn obviously...). Although I haven't figured out the kinks of my Sophon build yet(could be as simple as starting on Atoll as opposed to Arid), this build in theory should be really strong from all the buffs to ships and having access to Sterile Planets from the start. If I could start on a Sterile Planet(like Desert or Toxic) then it'd rival an Atoll/Terran start from a Food perspective.

#3 Slave Drivers with w/e Visual Affinity(Riftborn might be the optimal pick here): This build potentially could rival Extreme Foremen in terms of productivity, although that productivity comes from having as many Slaves as you can get. Since Population growth is derived from both Major and Minor Populations, getting a strong Slave population requires considerable population management. Yet with Riftborn, that's not the case as only Minor Population will grow naturally, allowing there to be ample amount of Slaves. The problem though is solving the malus issue from Slave Drivers. Solve that and you can have a build that harnesses the power of minor factions to the fullest. Religious Autocracy Riftborn with Slave Drivers might be the optimal set-up since Species Control Act is a lifesaver and Autocracy prevents rebellion.

#4 Gene Hunter with Adept Workers/Meritocractic: I finished my Borg game using Adept Workers and while I was able to propagate Minor Population like nothing, it just didn't feel as strong as Extreme Foremen. Being able to get an additional 150% or effectively a 2.5 multiplier on everything a system has(including System Development) makes it just insane.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 22, 2020, 7:43:17 PM

While imvestigating my Sophon Continuum Sculptors faction, I came across something interesting that may explain why it(Continuum Sculptors) doesnt work well with non-Riftborn Visual affinities. You start the game with a Galactic HQ and a Colony base. Galactic HQ gives +40 Dust, +10 Science and +5 Influence. Nothing to see here as that's standard, regardless of Gameplay/Visual combinations. What changes is the Colony base. When playing with a Gameplay affinity that isnt Riftborn, you get +35 Food, +25 Industry, +2 Influence and 10% Food production goes to Manpower. In a Riftborn(Continuum Sculptor) Gameplay faction, the Colony base loses the +35 Food buff, hence any faction that relies on Food to grow(which is everyone but Riftborn), is severely hampered since your Food production is based on planet base yield + w/e your population produces(not to mention your manpower takes a hit since theres less food but thats another issue).

Meaning on an Arid planet, Food production is a whopping 8 Food with Meritocractic and no starting Minor population, hence why I was having issues with population and couldnt figure out why(until now). Atoll or Fertile planet start helps but defeats the flavor of a Biophobic faction and the only reason this Colony Base change exists is because Riftborn dont grow naturally and this prevents the starting minor population in the Vanilla faction from becoming a bigger presence than their robotic "masters". Which means that for a Continuum Sculptor custom faction to work, you must start on a Toxic planet(where Efficient Farmers brings you up to match that of a Fertile planet), an Atoll/Terran/Forest/Ocean start where youll produce enough Food to grow modestly or going with Involuntary Nomads and getting a temporary +25 FIDS boost along with picking your starting planet(which should detract from faction point total but i digress).

Redsang or Titanium(via Material Expertise) is almost mandatory for System Development(rushing it might be necessary). Assimilating Sowers(+25 Food per Sterile Planet) and Haroshems(either faction trait) are priorities for population growth. I suppose if there is any consolation prize is that any Continuum Sculptor faction starts with a bonus of +150 Dust(hence 250 Dust at game start instead of 100) but that is because Signularities cost Dust and Strategic Resources.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 22, 2020, 9:38:06 PM

So after going back to the drawing board on my Sophon Continuum creation, I came up with version II of my Cylon faction. It sacrificed quite a bit in the name of attacking the Food issues at game start.

Name: Cylons

Description: TBD

Starting Planet: Atoll

Population Ideology: Science with Aggressive and Audacious

Population traits: Meritocratic Cosmopolites and Efficient Farmers

Population Collection: Peer Reviewed

Faction Traits:

Biophobic

Growth Plan III

Material Expertise

Titanium Mine

Fledgling Traders

Price of Perfection II

Xenolinguistics

Planetary Landscaping

To make this faction work, I had to take into account that the Colony Base lacks starting Food. Therefore an Atoll start seemed to be the best choice since it yields the most Food and Production for the cost. To take advantage of Singularities(which double FIDSI output), I opted to start with a Titanium Mine and Xenolinguistics from which to utilize it from turn 1. In the event that you dont start with Redsang nearby, I opted for Material Expertise to use Titanium in a System Development since +30 Food is better than no +Food(also get +30 Production, which is a nice bonus). Since we're using Continuum Sculptors and have all Sterile planets available from the start, Biophobic removes their malus, although our Fertile start does mean we have to hope for anomalies/luxuries to offset the Fertile malus. Since we're a Republic, wait a turn and pop Dirty Hands(Science) for a nice 15% improvement reduction.

Since Food is a real problem early on, I figured Growth Plan III was a mandatory pick to get all the help this faction needs for population propagation. This takes Food Production from 20 to 26(not much but every little bit helps and the impact from this trait will be felt later on in the game). To further help with the early game food issue, I opted to grab Planetary Landscaping to unlock Sustainable Farms and Intensive Cultivation improvement. To offset our faction traits, I opted for Fledgling Traders(meaningless malus) and Price of Perfection II(ship cost shouldnt be noticed with Ash/Lava available from start).

If you don't want Growth Plan III, you can use Constructionist III(more production never hurts), Fast Travelers II(extra movement never hurts) along with removing Fledgling Traders and adding either a minor population or Explorer I for extra probe capacity(or use w/e you want in place of Growth Plan III). Going to be starting a game with it soon but I think this ought to work.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message