Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Auto Design

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Feb 28, 2017, 5:09:38 PM

Hey, newcomer here!

What Auto Design -button in a Ship Design -window is exactly going to do?

I hope it's going to be something like in the first ES Auto upgrade -button, that upgraded the ships currently installed modules to the latest research. That was a helpful little thing that made the upgrading of ship designs smooth and user friendly.

There should be also the Auto upgrade the ships in a queue -feature, that will upgrade all the currently queued ship types to the latest design. Sometimes it is quite a job to cancel all the ship build queues and then recreate them again with a newer ship designs.

There are already some auto -features like the System construction automation policy, so i cannot see why not the ship design and building also? These features are only for a helping hand to the player and you are not forced to use them if you don't want to.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 1, 2017, 9:12:47 AM

Hi and welcome!

We recently specified the auto-upgrade and auto-ship design feature, and it will do just what you described :).

However I don't think we have anything planned for the queue, there might be technical limitations involved, but I definitely like the idea! We'll see what is possible.

Cheers,

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 1, 2017, 9:30:27 AM

Hey there

There will be two features: "Auto Upgrade" and "Auto Design"

Auto Upgrade will take all the modules of one or multiple ship designs and update them to their latest version. It will not change what kind of module you have, it will not use Strategic resources on modules unless you had Strategic Modules in the first place, it will not change the kind of Strategic Modules you might have. All it does is ensure all your modules are up-to-date in a single click. 

Auto Design will fill empty slots on a Ship Design according to predetermined templates while still trying to respect player decisions 

Example: if a Ship Design X is empty, it will fill all the weapon slots according to the template, if the Ship Design Y has 1 Laser it will fill the rest of the weapon slots with Lasers and if the Ship Design Z has 1 Laser and 1 Missile it will fill the rest of the weapon slots with Lasers and Missiles.

The purpose of the Auto Design is to give players who don't want to spend time in the Ship Designer or who don't really know/care how to make ships, a tool to quickly put an usable design together. 

The Auto Design feature is not meant to make optimal designs, though and will probably be subpar compared to a player-designed ship.

I hope this answers your questions!

NB: regarding this point 

There should be also the Auto upgrade the ships in a queue -feature, that will upgrade all the currently queued ship types to the latest design. Sometimes it is quite a job to cancel all the ship build queues and then recreate them again with a newer ship designs.

You can always retrofit the ships once they're built! So you can let an obsolete ship finish being constructed and retrofit all obsolete ships in your hangar later.

EDIT: DAMN YOU JHELL, BEATING ME BY NOT EVEN 20 MINUTES HOW DARE YOU!

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 1, 2017, 10:51:44 AM

Great! 

These new features are just what I was hoping for. 

Yes the queue is not a so big deal because of the retrofit function, but if you could do this beforehand by just clicking a one button after design, that would sometimes help. On the other hand I have to retrofit my earlier builds anyway to the latest design, so maybe it's not a so essential feature.

Anyway it's nice to have a few helping functions that make the self-evident things like the weapon modules upgrade to the easier and quicker way. =)

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 1, 2017, 4:54:20 PM

Those are great additions for people who don't want to turn every dial themselves, great job!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 2, 2017, 12:05:11 AM
WeaponizedCaffeine wrote:

Auto Design will fill empty slots on a Ship Design according to predetermined templates while still trying to respect player decisions 

Example: if a Ship Design X is empty, it will fill all the weapon slots according to the template, if the Ship Design Y has 1 Laser it will fill the rest of the weapon slots with Lasers and if the Ship Design Z has 1 Laser and 1 Missile it will fill the rest of the weapon slots with Lasers and Missiles.

The purpose of the Auto Design is to give players who don't want to spend time in the Ship Designer or who don't really know/care how to make ships, a tool to quickly put an usable design together. 

The Auto Design feature is not meant to make optimal designs, though and will probably be subpar compared to a player-designed ship.

That sounds like a really nice feature. But what immediately jumps out at me is that if it's just a button on the UI labelled "Auto Design" and nothing else, then this behaviour will not be clear at all. I hope you don't expect players to read this forum post for documentation on how to use it.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 2, 2017, 5:52:39 AM

I hope to add other option - do not create ship designs when researched new ship tech. 

This means, aftet first 2 basic ships(3 for Vodyani) - no more designs will be created. 

Just because I preffer always create my ships with my names. 

Like priest, bishop, crusaider,  apostle and propert for Vodyani. 

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 2, 2017, 3:17:15 PM
escalist wrote:

I hope to add other option - do not create ship designs when researched new ship tech.

I like this idea. This setting could be done for example via the global game options...

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 2, 2017, 4:46:28 PM

Good QoL additions.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 3, 2017, 10:18:23 AM

One another thing that bothers me in the ship design view is the Empire resources info on the bottom right corner. If I'm making a design which uses some special resources (Titaium, Hyperium, etc.) I would like to see how much I'm producing those resources, without to going exit from this screen to another view where this can be seen. There is already the info of how much I'm producing Dust, so why not the resources? 

This same thing is in the System development project -window. I cannot see how much do I produce that specific luxury without going back to the earlier view, and that is annoying.

This can be fixed just to add the info to the popup window when player hovers the mouse over the resource or luxury -item. The same way as in the other views where this works. =)

The total value of resources is not necessarily telling me how much do I really own that resource in the future and can I afford it.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message