Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

How do we fight the umbral choir?

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Nov 4, 2019, 10:04:54 AM

Ok, so let's see, UC can usually win conquest victory by turn 50ish @fast without being discovered and ever reseraching military oriented tech.

I have done it, most of you have done it, it is not incredibly hard.

Let's talk hacking counterplay.

You as a non-UC empire have 60 badnwith, that's 4 encrypts/defensive programs in total - that's enough to make one system unhackable provided placing 3 defensive programs on a single node is enough... unless someone were to overload your node and make that impossible aswell.

Provided UC do not fall asleep and get a tech 2 home system upgrade you need a T4 tech to see/threaten them at all.

Some easy options: 

1. given you can make an educated AND correct guess where the home system is, and somehow outperform the UC output in an academy contest, you are in luck, your academy fleet shall make short work of them. Placing detection probes alone will make sure your end of the galaxy is safe-ish.
  2. you can set the galaxy density to low, making it hopefuly somewhat more difficult and conflicting to establish sanctuaries by removing the freebies giving you enough to time to
    1. reserach the top tier military tech and establish maximum detection levels
    2. finding and flying through ALL off-lane nodes in the galaxy once you do.

Let's say that the RNG was not in your favour and academy quest is unachievable for you and or, you did not find the home in time and got to clean out a sanctuary or two (sanctuaries take 1 turn hacks to reestablish from nearby backdoors you are not always able to detect/remove.

What do you do to stop them from growing at 4/5 (and more, provided they do hold the academy fleet and invade you + can assimilate minors) systems a turn?

I am open to suggestions cause I must be missing something vital.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 5, 2019, 2:04:59 PM

I think you are talking about multiplayer, in which I have no experience, but I have been trying a few more games with the UC and have had a ton of trouble with hacking.

I get to the point pretty early on when I don't have an empty nodes for easy hacking. That is, I already have say, 2 backdoors, 3 sanctuary systems, 1 trans beacon, and my home system.

Now if I try to hack from any of these places I immediately encounter an occupied node. This is when the quests pop up as well. If you go science route for UC, they want you to hack through a specific node. And of course, the hack through the academy node quest.

But with every node occupied, it is almost impossible to hack anything without getting traced, destroying your backdoor or revealing your home.

I was hoping to find some tips on hacking. But even using all my bandwidth and programs to put accelerators on every node, I could not complete either of these mentioend quests. And there is only one defensive program that slows down enemy trace operations, lockdown, also not enough to let me finish these quests.

Again, I only play with AI, but since the nerf to obliterators I have only had one game where theUC AI won, and it was with economy, which I normally disable, the typical front runners in my games are Cravers, Vaulters, Riftborn. followed by horatio or UE

Because UC only have the one system (which is pretty easy to find later on, just look for the pile of UC ships) I'm normally able to cripple em whenver I want.

I expect this would be even easier in multiplayer, as the AI sometimes immediately transmigrates before you do anythign aggressive, whereas a player likely would not notice until after you invaded.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 5, 2019, 5:04:59 PM

being newer to this it's hard to tell which of you last two posters actually has the correct (or more so) stance on this hacking thread.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 6, 2019, 6:26:05 PM

I can also vouch for hacking being a pain vs the AI, but I also don't play multiplayer, so the optimal routes for thrashing people sub-100 turns are a complete mystery to me.

As far as getting your shenanigans traced by AI goes, the solution is to very slowly build up speed boosts around your target. The more well-developed (I assume population and system level?) a system is, the quicker it can trace you. So, if you want to attack a well-developed system, you painstakingly set up backdoors on every single connected node, to stack up the "5% bonus on adjacent" buff. Additionally, choosing long and convoluted routes through dummy systems, other backdoors, etc will lower the chance that the trace reaches you.

The way tracing works, as far as I understand, is simply an automatic "counter-hack" with around double the speed of the target empire's normal hacking power. The trace does not succeed if it fails to reach the original starting point of your hack. Therefore, if you hack through an occupied backdoor, but that system fails to detect you and start a trace, that backdoor is safe when the next target's trace passes through it.

This all being said, you really have to prioritize hacking bonuses when playing, in order to actually outpace the traces. Assimilating minor factions with hacking boosts is basically required.

I also have no idea what actually triggers traces to start to begin with. Well-developed systems obviously do it more often, but there have been times where a system just... completely fails to detect my hacking, even though it had previously detected it on the very first turn it reached the target.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 7, 2019, 10:00:55 AM
dragontyron wrote:

I also have no idea what actually triggers traces to start to begin with. Well-developed systems obviously do it more often, but there have been times where a system just... completely fails to detect my hacking, even though it had previously detected it on the very first turn it reached the target.

Traces are started by defensive programs. Of course, the AI is more keen to protect well-developed systems than extreme outliers. However, in general you should try to place your own defenses ahead of the actual valuable targets, so you start tracing before the enemy even reaches the system they want to hack.

Furthermore, as far as I know system development has no bearing on trace speed, as both Hack Speed and Trace Speed are empire-wide (with the exception of programs modifying the hacks), but well-developed systems take longer to hack, given the trace more time to succeed.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 7, 2019, 10:05:47 AM

Thanks for hijacking the topic from "how to defend yourself with 4 programs in total vs 5 hacking actions and impede the expansion" to "how do I hack?" =D

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 8, 2019, 12:49:01 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Taleswrote:

Traces are started by defensive programs. Of course, the AI is more keen to protect well-developed systems than extreme outliers. However, in general you should try to place your own defenses ahead of the actual valuable targets, so you start tracing before the enemy even reaches the system they want to hack.

Furthermore, as far as I know system development has no bearing on trace speed, as both Hack Speed and Trace Speed are empire-wide (with the exception of programs modifying the hacks), but well-developed systems take longer to hack, given the trace more time to succeed.

Wait, any defensive program starts the trace? I must have missed that somewhere.

koxsos wrote:

Thanks for hijacking the topic from "how to defend yourself with 4 programs in total vs 5 hacking actions and impede the expansion" to "how do I hack?" =D

That sounds kinda rude.

In any case, as Cat mentioned, you prevent hacks into your own systems by placing your defenses in a wall between your important systems and the Umbral Choir. There's no real answer for them expanding into un-colonized space outside of casting your own outposts really far/rushing detection tech, though. Otherwise, some reasonable deductive work ("what region of space did I expand into when the Choir first started hacking me?") and a wall of cheap hacking defenses would make you a suitably annoying target.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 8, 2019, 6:17:03 PM

Now, imagine your wall is now a backdoor, since it is easily hackable through a proxy.
Add a fact that double accelerators make even non-proxy hacks quite succesful.

Add an overload program, so that instead of 4 encrypt cap, there is now 3 encrypt cap.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 9, 2019, 12:26:06 AM

I imagine you just move the wall closer to any systems that matter? You're not really supposed to out-hack the empire whose gimmick is hacking; bully them in the physical realm instead.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 10, 2019, 2:16:12 AM

In the original post I thought it was about hacking in general as a method of expansion, but if you mean when the UC have citadels on your systems...

you can just build a detector and like, invade the citadels.

While I do find the UC AI has way stronger troops/manpower than expected,invading them in your own systems is still trivially easy.
The detection level for citadels is based on how many citadels in the system, to a maximum of 3.

If you find the UC is consistently winning so early by conquest, it seems to me that you must not be building detection at all. Or, like me, you don't want to get any detection until you have the highest level.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 10, 2019, 6:50:41 PM

Well I have seen it from both sides.

I just can get away with pushing for conquest at high density without ever getting into a fight or even bothering to reserach a single military tech, I can also usually outgenerate other players enough to even get an invisible academy fleet on top of it (but of course that always depends).
Only issue being stacking sufficient approval/or preparing enough systems at once to get away with overcolonization.

When I see others do it, I feel my options are limited since I can only threaten them with a T4 technology provided they can reach T2 in industry and sarcrifice 1 turn to upgrade their home with luxuries.

Since the academy does not trace, UC midgame gets quite a few FREE backdoor positions, and you can not remove those backdoors, and those backdoors are then utilized to massively increase hacking speeds through the one and mysteriously ONLY quest reward law I know of that actually works in the game atm.

There seems to be very little you can do about UC as a player prior to turn 35ish? (Yes I know, as hissho I should have won game by turn 34 in science victory and I suck at this game)
At which they themselves could sit on 4 hacking ops, of which they only need 1 to annoy you and 3 can be utilized to grow.

How early do you get detection tech while also getting the antimatter tech + getting lucky enough to get an antimatter node (ok let's say you get at least 1 antimatter a turn at turn 20?).

How early would you get it when the UC are not your sole opponent in the game and you have priorities such as survival? Which by no means is unrelated to military tech tree, but there usually seem to be other concerns, given the UC can be harmless to you, while still winning the game.

The feel of chilling at the edge of a galaxy on an off-lane node no one will ever spot (even at a point in game, where everyone has that T3 detection) is definitelly a good one.
But it feels slightly silly, the offlane nodes can prove very tricky to spot.

On topic of invasion, if the sanctuary takes one turn to establish, would you say sieging or counterhacking it for longer than that is an effective form of counterplay?

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 11, 2019, 7:53:58 AM

Reading the rest of what you are saying, I stand corrected. You are right.

I don't blame you for not winning as hissho at turn 34, I was really impressed by that post too, until the guy translated it and I saw he only won with a glitch, spam clicking to use more than 1 probe per planet.

I did not know the academy didn't trace! that definitely changes things.

I won on normal speed as UC, never being detected never making citadels, but it was at a speed much slower than sophon science, lumeris econ etc. Eventually you do get to a point like you mentioned where no enemy can stop/trace your hacks. But for me it wasn't unti maybe 2/3rds of the way through the game. I put backdoors on 5 craver systems includign the capital. And repeatedly had them all hack eachother. Every 5 turns I was placing then immediately abducting 4 sleepers.

Not making citadels at all helped me in this case because I had to focus more on backdoors. Now knowing that I could backdoor the academy and have invincible backdoors?! wow. Many times my hacks got screwed up by an enemy putting a new defensive program on their systems, destroying my backdoors, and any hacks in progress.

Against UC I have had success by forcing through scientist political parties after behemoths, to skip tier 3 of the military tree and grab the top level detection early-ish.

I think it is a difficult thing now that I am thinking about it more. Other factions can never get cloak at all. But if a UC snowballs, you need to get anticloak for them.

Should pirates be of use? I normally eliminate them because I play Hissho most, but should a player paying for pirate marks/diplomacy benefit from their free top level detection?

For the sanctuary established in one turn.
In my most recent game I made a custom carrier setup. Decloaker, 3 manpower mods, max defence. No Engines. And was making one for each of my systems. But the Antimatter requirements on the decloaker are quite ridiculous.
At this point I had spliced the kalmat and umbral choir, so I had every system with atleast 1 defensive program and was still getting hacked by the endless ai UC.
This also seems difficult to balance, because UC is so dependant on hacking, you should never put them in a position where they cannot hack.  But it also feels bad to never be able to stop them from hacking, even if you know exactly what system they are trying to hack.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 11, 2019, 10:00:57 AM

decloacker 3 on a carrier? isn't that like 80 antimatter? :-D
I suppose you would be better off with a probe, probes are great in the way that you can place them at level 2 and later upgrade them to level 3 detection through tech alone without replacing them for cheaper results.

But it still is in extra investment you may not be allowed to afford by an ongoing conflict with visible and more threatening enemies. And you can't place probes on nodes/enemy systems.

Speaking of those enemies, they do not have detection and they don't care much as their current primary focus is to take YOU out, so UC won by conquest in a different direction than yours, there you go.

Collecting sleepers through hacking seems a waste of time to me, if you do hack the home and get an option to abduct like 5 at a time (which means you have about 50 sleepers overall), then still I would rather steal a tech or cause a riot.

Of course home systems should be backdoor-proof at that point of game and minimize hacking outcomes aaaaand by placing a single overload you will probably nuke their bandwith to shreds and have free reign to establish sanctuaries all over the place without tracing cause bandwith.

Unless you are nakalim and your research is gimped and you don't get to have all the techs you need at the right time. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message