Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Game has no video, sound is present. Screen is white or black.

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Jan 22, 2020, 10:21:23 AM

hello, 

whenever i launch my game it will start in the background and i will have sound, the game mouse cursor but no visuals. 

if i try to alt tab or launch in forced windowed it sometimes comes up as a white or black screen. 

i have tried reinstalling my graphic drivers, windows update, comparability mode, installing windows visuals again. Nothing seems to work. not even installing the codecs again. 

I'm running windows 10, 64 bits. 

0Send private message
0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 12, 2020, 6:48:04 PM

if the videos when the game starts up aren't even playing, it could be a problem with the video playback. You can try running the game with the "-novideo" launch option, either inside the ES2 game properties in Steam (the Launch Options button) or by creating a shortcut with the option for the EndlessSpace2.exe file. This will just skip the videos and wont try to play them.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 27, 2020, 10:08:07 AM

Very sorry about the bump on this, but I am having an issue similar to this - the game launches in all black, doesn't play any of the cinematics, and doesn't show any of the loading screens, and does not show the main menu. I'm able to press space bar and hear noises play as well as the BGM of the main menu, but I am unable to do anything else after that. After looking online as well as my diagnostics file, I found out that the game is changing the resolution to 0x0 60Hz, despite reading the Registry.xml file that has the resolution set to 1920x1080. I've updated my drivers, I've tried going in to REGEDIT to force the resolution change, but every time I launch the game it always goes back to 0x0 resolution.

Is there any advice or fixes for this? I've played a ton of the Endless Series before, but ever since the latest content drops I have been unable to launch both Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend

Diagnostics - 2020'03'27 @0300'24''.html

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 27, 2020, 10:33:21 AM

It says that your default display resolution is set to 0x0. Try going to your Steam>steamapps>common>Endless Space 2 folder, and editing Registry.xml:

change your resolution to

<Resolution>1920x1080 (60)</Resolution> (copy and paste if you need to)

Hopefully that fixes it for you

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 27, 2020, 11:01:09 AM

Yeah, as I said the Registry.xml file has the resolution set to 1920x1080 already. Despite, this it changes to 0x0.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 27, 2020, 7:19:18 PM

You could try to delete the registry.xml file and see if it fixes your issue. 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 28, 2020, 3:41:05 AM

Unfortunately that does not solve the issue, I have tried removing and replacing the registry.xml file, forcing the changes via REGEDIT, reinstalling drivers & the game, setting registry.xml to read only, adding "-novideo" parameters to the launch sequence on steam, redownloading the redistributables, compatabilitiy mode....

No luck

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 2, 2020, 3:52:27 PM

Hi Aphareus i had the same issue and tried the same troubleshooting tips and nothing helped.

But now i tried something and it worked.

i found 2 endless space II related registry files. One in the game folder, under "steamapps/common/Endless Space 2" and the other one in my documents folder, under "documents/Endless Space 2/Users/8numbers".

i opened the registry file in the documents folder and searched for <Video>. There the video options only looked like this:

<Video>
<VSyncCount>1</VSyncCount>
<QualityLevel>Beautiful</QualityLevel>
<TargetFrameRate>100</TargetFrameRate>
 </Video>

The i looked in the Steam-Game-folder registry-file, and its video-options looked like this:

<Video>
<DisplayMode>Fullscreen</DisplayMode>
<RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>
<Resolution>1920x1080 (60)</Resolution>
    </Video>

Then i copied the three columes:

from the game-folder registry file into the documents registry-file. in the end the video-options in both registry-files look the same like this:

<Video>
    </Video>

and now the game starts with the loading screen and i'm able to play endless space 2 again.

i hope you can solve your blackscreen issue too.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 6, 2020, 5:51:01 AM

I'd like to report that none of the above have worked for me, however my issue seems to have been resolved. I had recently purchased a new monitor to use as a secondary, and plugged it in - and on a whim, decided to run ES2 and EL to see if the issue would have been magically resolved.

and well... it was lmao

Thank you everyone for your input though

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 28, 2022, 3:29:50 PM

had the same issue, audio works but see only black screen when the game starts. fixed it by disabling HDR

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message