Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Endless problems with translation and connection

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 10:05:51 PM

Dear Devs,

Amplitude games have always had 2 multiplayer problems.

1) Star system and region names depend on translation of the host and players. This forces me to play English version instead of the translated one whenever I host a game - which is not so enjoyable for me.

Moreover, if there are players with translated versions in an EL game it becomes difficult lo locate a region indicated in a quest because home regions of factions are named in compliance with the players' language.

2) I have played EL from the very beginning and I was unhappily surprised by disconnection and desynch issues. About 80% of the playthroughs were unfinished due to disappearance of other players. I has not been played much the latest years but I kept buying every DLC with a hope that THIS time the issue is settled. And every time I was disappointed. Moreover, it seems that whenever I host a game only people from my region see it. I want to emphasize that I don't have desynch and disconnect issues myself, and I can see some other servers - but only a small proportion. It seems that there is something wrong with the game because I saw such a feedback from other people too.

The question is whether we have to anticipate the issues again or they will be non-existent for ES2.

I understand that this is not EL forum, but I will highly anticipate if you give an advice on how to amend the current situation with EL.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 10:09:58 PM

Sadly, it looks to be the case with ES2. I do have a workaround for you. You can substitute localization files and/or edit them as you see fit.

Using ES2 as the example here. In your \Endless Space 2\Public\Localization\<language>\ES2_Localization_Assets_Locales.xml file you will see the that the first few hundred rows are all localized star and constellation names matched with their internal (boring) names (like Star239). You could open your preferred language version of the file in a text editor and replace these lines with the one from the English language, so that everything matches what your friends see, but the rest of your UI, quests, etc remain named in your preferred language.

In principle this will work for ES1 and EL, although the particular files will be different.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 10:17:19 PM

Here's the paths for ES1 and EL. You'll have to do a bit of digging to find the portions you want to replace, but it looks like they are there.

ES1: Endless Space\Public\Localization\<language>\EF_Localization_Assets_Locales.xml    look for "%ConsetellationName1"

EL: Endless Legend\Public\Localization\<language>\Localization_Locales.xml   look for "%Region0Title"

You also get to laugh at some of the internal names versus their public ones. RageWizards=ArdentMages and MadFairies=Wood Walkers.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 10:37:32 PM
werewolf_nr wrote:

Sadly, it looks to be the case with ES2. I do have a workaround for you. You can substitute localization files and/or edit them as you see fit.

Using ES2 as the example here. In your \Endless Space 2\Public\Localization\<language>\ES2_Localization_Assets_Locales.xml file you will see the that the first few hundred rows are all localized star and constellation names matched with their internal (boring) names (like Star239). You could open your preferred language version of the file in a text editor and replace these lines with the one from the English language, so that everything matches what your friends see, but the rest of your UI, quests, etc remain named in your preferred language.

In principle this will work for ES1 and EL, although the particular files will be different.

wow, thank you so much. It will solve 80% of the problem. However, it was amusing to see Polish words in the Russian file and Italian words in the Polish file :). I will believe that it was done on purpose.

10 Czerwony Karzeł/10

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 30, 2016, 9:52:36 AM

EL is still hard to play in MP due to lag/connection issues. It's just normal to have about 200 ping where in the other games players in the same country would have had about 30-50 ping tops. Still we have to struggle to find the best host just so the game won't lag and freeze so much that players would miss their turns. Calculations in MP are also very very slow. 

I hope it would be done differently for ES2. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 1, 2016, 9:43:12 PM

Ok, I figured out that I cannot see servers hosted by players with another Download Region at Steam. I had to switch the one to Frankfurt to play EL with Germans.

Will this be relevant to ES2? Sega, please, help me! I promise to gift myself Total Warhammer for Christmas if you are good next year! 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 15, 2016, 4:21:35 PM

I believe we're not translating names in Endless Space 2 to avoid the specific issue you're bringing up.

As for desyncs, we'll always be needing your help (which means your save files, etc.) to be able to address the causes of these desyncs!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 10, 2017, 11:10:18 AM

How is MP going to be organized, will it be the same system without dedicated server, with one of the players being a host and other connecting as clients? Are there any improvements planned in termes of desynch we occasionally (quite often really :( ) saw in EL, or is the network code going to stay about the same?

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message