Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Custom Planet Atmosphere and Atmospheric Ring Color

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Feb 18, 2019, 3:19:53 PM

How does one set a custom planet's atmosphere and atmopspheric ring color from the cyan blue that it is by defualt?  Or is that not possible?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 19, 2019, 1:15:30 PM

For anyone looking for the answer you need to add something like this to your remapping file:

<ColorReplacement Name="_AtmosphereColor">

<Color Red="85" Green="44" Blue="18" Alpha="255" />

</ColorReplacement>

0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 20, 2019, 10:59:25 AM

Hey LogicSequence,

When you export a planet texture it should generate an XML file with these ColorReplacements in them.

Here are a few other things you can replace with planet remapping (copied directly from the Registry.xml file):

<PlanetMaterialProperties>_Diffuse;_Illum;_Pop;_PopGradient;_Smoothness;_Ring;_Depth;_WorldNormal;_AnomalyDiffuse;_AnomalyMask;_AnomalySmoothness;_ScanView;_Depth;_Cloud</PlanetMaterialProperties>
<PlanetMaterialColors>_Atmosphere;_CloudColor;_Color;_Color2</PlanetMaterialColors>
<PlanetTextureSizes>4096;2048;1024;512;256;128</PlanetTextureSizes>

Unfortunately I have no idea what Color and Color2 do, it's Artist stuff oops

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 20, 2019, 2:48:55 PM

Heya, 

Yea i tried _Atmosphere, unfortunately that is documented incorrectly in the registry.xml file, it's actually _AtmosphereColor (and that is confirmed to work).  _color and _color2 change the color of the representations of the planets on the galactic map when you zoom out too far to see the actual planets.

As far as the planet material properties, you have to know the name of the material on the original planet (in this case the custom planet model, which i assumed is just copied 20 times) before you can replace it.  That is to say, i can't replace the _Depth or _WorldNormal textures on a custom planet if the custom planet model didn't have any to begin with, or we don't know what the name of those textures it's using by default are. 

The custom planet model seems to be based off of the unique planet "Sykagoja", which only uses _Diffuse, _Illum, _Pop, _PopGradient, _Smoothness, and _Cloud.  Try to replace any of the others and you can't because the model doesn't use them to begin with, or doesn't have a texture in _WorldNormal to "replace" since there's nothing there at all.

If you look at the unique planet "Tor", which does use depth and normal, you have:

<MaterialTextureProperty Name="_Depth">

<TextureReplacement TextureName="PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_4096" ReplacementTextureFilePath="Textures\PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_4096.png" />

<TextureReplacement TextureName="PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_2048" ReplacementTextureFilePath="Textures\PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_2048.png" />

<TextureReplacement TextureName="PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_1024" ReplacementTextureFilePath="Textures\PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_1024.png" />

<TextureReplacement TextureName="PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_512" ReplacementTextureFilePath="Textures\PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_512.png" />

<TextureReplacement TextureName="PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_256" ReplacementTextureFilePath="Textures\PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_256.png" />

<TextureReplacement TextureName="PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_128" ReplacementTextureFilePath="Textures\PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_128.png" />

</MaterialTextureProperty>

for example, but as the custom planet templates are based on "Sykagoja" they don't have the texture "PL_Unique_Tor_01_Depth_4096" to replace.

Unless i'm way off base on how all this works, and please tell me if i am, i would very much like to be wrong.  

Also  thank you for taking the time to talk and help, it is greatly appreciated.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 22, 2019, 8:51:46 AM

I'm afraid only some of the planet materials have depth, and you cannot change the "shape" of most of the planets (including custom ones).

0Send private message
5 years ago
Mar 17, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
MonAmiral wrote:

I'm afraid only some of the planet materials have depth, and you cannot change the "shape" of most of the planets (including custom ones).

Is there a way to override texture "replacement" and just "add texture" to a custom planet, say for _Depth?  That is to say, make it use a depth map if the custom planet model doesn't currently use them?  

Is it possible in a future update to enable all the channels for custom planets:

_Diffuse

_Illum

_Pop

_PopGradient

_Smoothness

_Ring

_Depth

_WorldNormal

_ScanView
_Cloud

Using dummy blank textures for those not used in the model?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 8, 2019, 12:55:05 PM
LogicSequence wrote:

Is there a way to override texture "replacement" and just "add texture" to a custom planet, say for _Depth?  That is to say, make it use a depth map if the custom planet model doesn't currently use them?  

Is it possible in a future update to enable all the channels for custom planets:

_Diffuse

_Illum

_Pop

_PopGradient

_Smoothness

_Ring

_Depth

_WorldNormal

_ScanView
_Cloud

Using dummy blank textures for those not used in the model?

Modest bump here as well...

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message