Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Emissive Texture Maps (_illum) working on some custom planets, but not others?

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Mar 19, 2022, 6:41:47 PM

I've been working through and old mod i made but never published and have an odd issue.  The mod adds about 11 custom planet types, which all work fine except with one visual aspect: the emissive texture maps for the planets work on some custom planets, but not others.  One new planet type's textures will work fine, but another's wont, swap them to replace another planet's textures and suddenly the do work.  I've checked file paths and names, i've tried the textures on planettypecustom01-20, works on some but not others. Textures that don't work on some custom planets will work fine if i replace say, raia's textures with them (as an example).  I'm stumped as to why this is happening.  Any ideas out there? Anyone had this happen before?

0Send private message
2 years ago
Mar 23, 2022, 5:44:01 PM

I just really don't get this.  Using the default PlanetRemapping.xml contents/files some custom planets show emissive textures fine, but when custom files are substituted, don't; and simultaneously some custom planets don't show emissive textures when using default PlanetRemapping.xml contents/files, but do when using custom files. Yet more never show emissive textures, default PlanetRemapping.xml contents/files or custom.  Is there some unwritten rule? Odd file formatting option? Do some custom planet prefabs just not work properly? 

Is there anyone left here at all? lol 

0Send private message
2 years ago
Mar 26, 2022, 10:08:34 PM

Ok now this is just ridiculous, I change ONLY the smoothness textures on one custom planet that's emissive textures DID work, and now the emissive textures DON'T work; and switching the smoothness textures back to the old ones does NOT resolve the issue. WTF is this...?

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 years ago
Apr 4, 2022, 8:06:46 AM

Sorry, I'm usually the person to answer modding questions but the planet texture stuff was never really documented. The only help I can give you is to suggest you look at the modding example for planets or look at the Planet Type Eden mod.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Apr 7, 2022, 1:51:59 PM

Well thanks for answering, i appreciate that.  Unfortunately i've looked at all of that material extensively, as well as torn apart as much of the game as i could (i work in the industry, so have a fair bit of experience). From what i can tell the emissive textures simply don't work properly for the custom planet prefabs. You can script a prefab swap, that is, code in that you want 'PlanetBody_PlanetTypeCustom01_00' to use (for example) 'PlanetBody_UniquePlanetTerrans_00' 's prefab, and yeah that works, but that also means your stuck with everything that uses 'PlanetBody_UniquePlanetTerrans_00' (namely Raia) also using the new texture. Basically it's telling Unity to use Raia's 3D model and textures for Custom01's, then changing Raia's textures. All the in game planets that have emissive textures work fine, but i think the custom ones were added in and their prefabs didn't have their emissive textures mapped or turned on properly.

My hope was that i was missing some niche requirement or formatting the textures wrong or something that could be easily dealt with, but it appears more and more like it's something that could only be fixed in the source code/assets before they're finalized for use in the game. I'm sure it would be an easy fix, but getting someone to look into and do anything this late on for the game isn't going to happen.

But if anyone ever sees this and has an suggestion, please post. And thank you again CaptainCobbs for answering.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message