Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Building a Pen & Paper Endless RPG… 2Gether!

Endless Space - I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Endless Legend - Here be dragons...
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Jul 14, 2018, 11:39:12 AM

Hey everyone!

I am thrilled to be here! I also am a Narrative Designer with a mild addiction to game design (here's my presentation post if you'd like to know more!). 

It basically means that I build worlds and give them life to etch vivid dreams in my players' heart. It is my job and joy : )

Anyway, the reason I am here is that I want to make a pen & paper RPG set in the Endless world! 

Here's a short video if you need a bit more familiarity with these special games.

But enough about context! Here are the defining features of this upcoming RPG:

* First, Amplitude was awesome enough to meet with me about this and we agreed that the game will be both original and canon.

* To that end, it will be set in a different part of the Endless universe than those we've discovered in the video games.

* Also, I will design a whole game system from the ground up.

* The game development will have a Games2Gether philosophy.

* And finally, I will post a monthly report on the work I did, with a bit of insight on what's next!

Oh and just a short, if important, precision: it must be clear that this project is independent from Amplitude, they support it on principle and provide expertise.

Now this is where you come into play! Before I can get my hands dirty, I need to know one thing:

* Would you prefer a game setting and technology level closer to the Endless Space or Legend universe?

Oh and before I go, I fully realize how... daunting this task is. So why did I chose to charge in? Well, for a lot of personal reasons, the most obvious being: One of the best gaming worlds I know, the Ampliteam… And our community!

So, shall we make this game together?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jul 16, 2018, 7:29:35 AM

Great idea! Personally i think Cosmic theme is better becuase we saw so many fantasy RPG before and I'm affraid it will be "just another cliche of DnD/ Warhammer".

On the other hand, there are only few really orginal space/sci-fi RPG. Furthermore you can make it not so hard sci-fi, rather fantasy vision of space RPG (y'a know, dust etc.). 

One more thing: you can always put Auriga and Endless Legend in this space RPG as expasion or somethhing like that.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jul 16, 2018, 9:54:42 AM

THIS IS FREAKING LIT

I voted for the cosmic (Endless Space) theme as I enjoy the more insane possibilities of a fantasy/sci-fi galaxy over just a fantasy/sci-fi planet. 

I can't wait to see what you come up with ! Best of luck ! 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jul 18, 2018, 10:24:53 AM

Hi guys!

Thanks for your posts, they really made my day! :D
I will keep my preference quite so as not to influence the votes, but I can't wait to see the result!
Have a great week everyone!

Aeyl

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jul 18, 2018, 6:11:53 PM

I am an Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless fan, so if I were to vote, I'd vote the space theme as well. Especially as with Endless Space 2 proper multicultural empires exist, which allows for a lot of character creation options and a lot of freedom when storytelling.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jul 19, 2018, 1:27:55 AM

My preference is for an EL-aesthetic, if only because it narrows the inital scope of the game from a galaxy/universe to a planet. Plus, if you come up with rules that work at that smaller scale, you can then incorporate them into an ES-style game later whenever players explore planets/systems away from their fleets. Basically BECMI-style modular design.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jul 19, 2018, 5:10:46 PM

Endless Space, cuz you can get Endless Legend by adapting DnD rules a bit.

(Btw. I love this and you are my personal hero from now on)

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 1, 2018, 9:51:38 PM

Hi guys!

I have been a bit silent last week and I want to apologize for it.
Real life is giving me a bumpy ride at the moment but I keep this game at the very top of my priority list! I actually keep prototyping during breaks and evenings to clear my head - and we will have quite a few things to discuss when we tackle the rules! : )

Anyway, after a short chat with Frogsquadron he rightfully highlighted that I should tell you a bit more about the “it will be set in a different part of the Endless universe than those we've discovered in the video games. ” part of my opening post. I will definitely send you some details about it (and a lil' bit more) this week-end!

Untill then, I wish you all a beautiful end of the week!

Aeyl

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 2, 2018, 12:19:45 AM
Aeyl wrote:

Hi guys!

I have been a bit silent last week and I want to apologize for it.
Real life is giving me a bumpy ride at the moment but I keep this game at the very top of my priority list! I actually keep prototyping during breaks and evenings to clear my head - and we will have quite a few things to discuss when we tackle the rules! : )

Anyway, after a short chat with Frogsquadron he rightfully highlighted that I should tell you a bit more about the “it will be set in a different part of the Endless universe than those we've discovered in the video games. ” part of my opening post. I will definitely send you some details about it (and a lil' bit more) this week-end!

Untill then, I wish you all a beautiful end of the week!

Aeyl

Spicy.

As a side note , is there any exisiting system you're going to draw inspiration from?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 2, 2018, 9:20:06 AM

Will you make physical copy??

And in what languages??

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 2, 2018, 9:51:17 AM

Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known until I've seen this.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 2, 2018, 4:33:42 PM

There is a huge lack of great space-based settings, but a huge number of fantasy ones. Endless Space is the way to go!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 2, 2018, 4:52:40 PM

Voted for Endless Space style. I perhaps would have voted EL-style if it were actually on Auriga, as I really love those specific factions, but since it's supposedly going to be a bit distanced from anything already established, ES-style seems preferable to me.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 3, 2018, 8:23:04 AM

Im going to echo Crixler here, I would vote for an EL style if it were actually on Auriga, but an ES style would be something different and I would absolutely love to dive into it.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 5, 2018, 11:21:31 PM

Evening guys!

As promised, here are some news! : )

First I want to thank you for your comments, they really made my day(s)!

Now for starters, on to your questions!

@lo_fabre: Regarding the languages, even though I am French I will write it in English. Beyond the fact that I prefer working in English (dun ask me why...) it seems to be the best option for accessibility. Concerning the medium of the release, there will definitely be a digital version but in my wildest dreams this game is licensed, kickstarted and, as you suggest, has a physical version with exclusive art, an OST and a dust inlaid GM screen!

@SovietOrca: Not one, tens! I could list them but I fear it would be more confusing than helping. Mainly because, beyond pen&paper RPGs, I work with traditional and video games there so it would paint an obscure picture without a detailed explanation of how I translate the mechanics, what I pick, what I leave… And most importantly what I create! : ) I honestly wish I could tell you more but we’re also too early in the process now and what’s coming, your votes most notably, will drastically impact the design. Dun worry though, this delightful talk is definitely coming!

Now about what I meant in my original post when I wrote: “First, Amplitude was awesome enough to meet with me about this and we agreed that the game will be both original and canon. To that end, it will be set in a different part of the Endless universe than those we've discovered in the video games.”!

It means that the game will have the potential to become official (remember the license and dust inlaid GM screen part? :)). For that, it is much easier to set it away from the known universe, for three reasons:

* Originality.

The Endless universe is huge and this game will give an opportunity to explore more of it. So how do we know we are playing in this universe we care for and love if all we know about it is left behind? We keep the core and expose it to and develop it in different contexts.

Here by core I mean the dust, how it works, what it does… The races, some or most, the technology level you will have chosen, the universe history and how it impacts everyday life (Endless ruins) and all pan galactic events. From there on, it could be so many things… Imagine a very early space faring people who suddenly loses all contact with their home planet (for an Endless reason), leaving a few thousands with vanishing resources to scout for what happened and take back their world. It could also be a relatively low tech world facing a Craver invasion, their salvation coming from their heavy martial culture and expert mastery of dust. Or also the simple story of a first contact with one of the unique Endless alien races, potentially turning into a contact war, or maybe a setting of a space ardent mage empire for a Dune vibe or… Well you guys get the idea : )

* Adaptation.

Basically, this game could be used for custom home sessions in the official setting with little adaptation if you want. After all it will be tailor made for this setting.

* And last but not least, it must put absolutely zero creative constraints on Amplitude.

Imagine if a way to use Dust was developed so that time travel existed or teleportation became much more common.  Set these in their setting at this stage of their game development and we start having paradoxes, incoherence. That’s a simple example but it’s exactly what we want to avoid. These kind of problems could also arise from faction over development, prominent character agendas and, from my experience, the giga ton of other reasons I am not anticipating right now. Plus, this is hardly compatible with the “Originality” point! : )

Aaaand it’s getting late! I hope I covered some of your questions and that the perspective is growing on you! Oh and before I go, the next big post will be roughly in a week to start the monthly habit. Until then, if you have more questions or want more details, shoot! : )

Have a great week everyone!

Aeyl

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 10, 2018, 9:39:17 PM

Love this idea! I am currently running a EL DnD campaign now. I agree with ThonkTank, many systems cover fantasty stuff quite nicely. ES tho... 

This sounds like an amazing idea, and it's fantastic that Amplitude is on board! If you need help, I'd love to contribute (can't say I have any sort of experience however) any way I can! I'll be keeping my eyes out for updates!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 11, 2018, 8:25:45 PM

i was planing to do the same!? but only for my friends. fo you have a discord or simulare to talk?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 14, 2018, 6:03:53 AM

This sounds absolutely amazing. Ever since I fell in love with the Sophons in endless space 1 i wanted something like this. i will follow this post excitedly. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 14, 2018, 2:54:55 PM

We are as excited as you guys are to see where this goes and what happens! I will be watching from the sidelines, just in case any intractable lore questions pop up (but I doubt it--Aeyl is doing an awesome job).

-Slow

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message