Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

Some races almost not playable?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 8, 2012, 10:52:54 PM
So I tried out the Hissho today, since I really like the Fleetdesign and their huge damage bonus.

But I discovered that the AI doenst manage my systems good at all. It totally ignores any food production (or researches it, when it's useless: like this cow symbol upgrade, when it doesnt fit the requirements to be useful)

The AI just focusses heavily on industry. I never really had any money to even buy a second hero (my first one was the perfect economy hero).

I never had too much fleets oder scouts and I never colonized bad planets. but approval was down like hell and i had no money.

Does the AI just not work correct with some species?

Besides that: Do I really need to start off with a food production on every new system I colonize? If I turn the AI on to autocontrol my systems in a balanced way, its just switching things up. so im really curious if im doing sth wrong there or the ai ruins my play smiley: confused
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 12:11:54 AM
It's a known issue that the colony AI didn't make good decisions back in Beta. I've never used the feature so I can't comment on whether it has been improved in the past week or so.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 2:12:06 AM
So... really? Do I have to manage every of my 20-30 systems in my current game for my own? :S
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 2:17:54 AM
Probably yes.

The AI works good for some systems and settings, but most of the time making all the decisions on your own is the way to go.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 4:40:52 AM
Eeeh, maybe not too in-depth. Not every system needs every improvement you have.

Although, honestly, in a lot 4X games, or strategy games in general, letting the AI manage your things tends to be a poor choice. The AI simply isn't programmed to manage things in an efficient matter, you just simply get used to having to manage several things per turn. Just remember that on your turn, you have all the time in the world. Now, if ES was an RTS instead, well... different story.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 2:31:34 PM
Yes, I also found out, that I don't need every improvement on every system. Well things get a lit different once you have terraform and a few choices between foodproduction.

At least I can skip all traderoute improvements, since I'm the badass in my galaxy. smiley: biggrin

My only problem is right now: Focus on balanced systems, which give research bonus, can produce ships if needed and have decent dust/food production or lean towards heavily industry OR research OR dust production systems. Thats what I have to find out now.

Because systems with research I can drop all production improvements and vice versa.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 2:32:24 PM
Atleast for Multiplayer a Decent AI wouldbe usefull... there you dont have all the time you need and there are ppl. waiting for you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 2:45:35 PM
I've never tried the ai management, i am hands on all the way.

As for your systems i prefer focusing them. Basically i just focus on whatever that system can do best and make it do it. Though all your systems should be capable of making ships during crunch time. granted sometimes the planets do get in the way of this.

Also to speed up management check your build queues each turn and just go to the ones that finished building. Also that system list that you can get to helps a lot. The one where you set the ai.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 2:48:42 PM
Yes I did it like you said NewHorizon, but I played on a huge galaxy, where there were BEAUTIFUL really, beatiful systems (huge terrran planets with garden eden, +2waterplanets etc.) I needed to colonize those, since they are also chokepoints to 2 other AI's

Therefore i colonized really much and handling 20-30 systems (I already own over half of the galaxy) is really hard. ;D
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 3:07:09 PM
The AI, as with most AI in this current world, fails to make predictive management choices which we as human players find commonplace and natural. For example, predicting that a particular improvement will benefit a system in the future few or so turns (when population increases, or to make a move in accordance to racial traits/affinities), and choosing to build such improvements of its own deterministic accord is simple near impossible, and it is currently programmed (from what I can tell) to analyse the current state of system and build/colonize and shift populations without thinking too much.

Whilst far from perfect, I would like to see the AI things a little more regarding prioritization of certain improvements. For example, I'm hoping it should recognise when a potential industrial improvement is unlocked through research, analyse the current queue and weigh it up against how long the actual industrial improvement will take to build and judge if its the best time to build it now above all else. It should also stop what from my experience it seems to do with newly colonized planets, by prioritizing birthrate over approval (and therefore fids) by always building food improvements when my systems are in strike (mid-late game, with high expansion disapproval, this is a common occurrence for me).

Like the OP, the one main thing that is preliminary is the need to acknowledge and work with faction affinities above all else, and simple example being the focus on food planetary and system improvements over industrial with the Sowers.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 3:13:17 PM
liquidGG wrote:
So... really? Do I have to manage every of my 20-30 systems in my current game for my own? :S

Thats not that big a deal! You can stack constructions and just choose only the ones that are relevant to that system. Otherwise just put the system on permanent ind>dust or ind>sci (once they are fixed because they are bugged at the moment and actually reduce the amount of dust rather than increase it - the ind>sci isnt too bad but it still reduces your dust per turn and it shouldn't do that).

Anyway one click and its done - hardly time consuming stuff. Try managing planets in Space Empires! (and Legends of Pegasus looks like it will have the same micro-management hellsmiley: frown)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 3:15:33 PM
ind>dust/sci isn't broken. Well, the dust one isn't, I don't think I've ever used the sci one..
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 9:36:41 PM
Also to cut down on time if you have to go through all your systems and/or planets, the arrows to the right and left far edges of the screen in these views will let you click through them all. I like to start with my home system then just make my way through em all till i see my home system again.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message