Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

Best 4X game ever?

Endless Space
Master of Orion
Sword of the Stars
Birth of the Federation
Sins of a Solar Empire
Stars!
Alpha Centauri
Galactic Civilizations
Space Empires
Other (explain)
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:29:10 PM
What is or was your best 4X sci-fi game ever played - you can choose multiple games.

I should say I am expecting ES to come out miles in front because its a new game and this is the ES forum (of course), so its likely to be a bit biased here. I am more interested to see what else comes out of the poll.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:33:54 PM
Mansen wrote:
Not by a longshot - but it's enjoyable.

I dont think you read the question Mansen.

For me, MOO2, easily. I was in middle school when i used to spend whole weekends playing hotseat games with my buddies. Classic game, still almost worth getting it to work on my 64bit system.

Edit: this thread probably belongs in off topic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:34:55 PM
Mansen wrote:
Not by a longshot - but it's enjoyable.

I think it's a question, not a statement smiley: smile

I still have fond memories of MOO2, although I am certain that I would find it passé compared to today's standards.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:36:46 PM
MOO2...and it's not hard to get it to work on new systems. Gog.com has it for sale for like $5 and it comes with dosbox already configured to work on modern machines (even the multiplayer works!). smiley: smile

I still play MOO2 to this day and while it does have a few issues here and there, taken as a whole it's still the best overall space 4x game I've ever played.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:38:11 PM
For me its got to be Endless Space, Stars and Space Empires with Imperium Galactica a distant fourth.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:39:02 PM
I vote Endless Space, although I would say Pax Imperia Eminent Domain is not far behind. Then MoO2.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:42:10 PM
I voted "other" as you forgot Ascendancy as an option smiley: wink

That certainly is the 4X game I spent the most time with a long time ago
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:42:21 PM
I like most of the games on the list, i do not like more then others as most are hard to compare.

Overall the best would be either SOTS or SINS.

Endless is a little young and needs more time to grow.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:48:39 PM
EgoManiac wrote:
I voted "other" as you forgot Ascendancy as an option smiley: wink

That certainly is the 4X game I spent the most time with a long time ago

It was a toss up whether to put Birth of the Federation, Ascendency, Imperium Galactica or Reach for the Stars in the last spot smiley: smile

I played IG and Asc quite a lot but cant remember exactly how much as it was such a long time ago and its very hazy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:54:25 PM
From this list, Endless Space, SMAC, MOO, SoaSE and Distant Worlds as "other" choice.

Endless Space is platform for success. If Amplitude can keep improving the ES, it can easily compete even with the MOO.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:56:52 PM
Endless Space, Moo2, Alpha Centauri (Submarine Carriers with Planetbreaker missiles!)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:57:40 PM
I loved Alpha Centauri, which is still my number one sci-fi game of all time, love the Civilization-style gameplay, the GIANT tech-tree, development of new units, modding-possibility, and so on...

Endless Space is a game that after a long time reactivated that "one more round"-feeling when playing it...still new to it, so I have to see how long that motivation remains, but I have a good feeling about this... smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:58:32 PM
endless space is the first 4x game I've played so.. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:59:27 PM
NewHorizon wrote:
I dont think you read the question Mansen.

I did but I read it as "Is ES the best 4X game ever" as the title implies.

I'm running a high fever and my nose is running like the hoover dam. Cut me a bit of slack lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:03:14 PM
Alpha Centauri: because of the immensely solid vision.

Sins of a Solar Empire: for bringing 4x into an RTS.

Sword of the Stars: because it challenges all 4x games to break the mold.

Endless Space is great, but it's too new for me to know if it will leave a lasting impression.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:07:10 PM
Im surprised GalCiv hasn't got more votes as personally i think it is the BEST 4x space game along with Master of Orion 2. Don't get me wrong i love Endless Space but I still feel its lacking in some areas which will hopefully be rectified.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:08:51 PM
Other: Haegemonia.

My opinion will probably be only good for me, but this game was very good for its time: beautiful, complex, playable in solo or multiplayer and moddable. I spent hundred of hours of my time in this game and its expansion. Too bad that the support of the dev team was so bad.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:46:12 PM
Voted for GalCiv 2, as it hit right the spot for me.

Unfortunately it does not have a multiplayer mode, what a shame.

I am really thankful for a mp mode in Endless Space.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 3:05:27 PM
SMAC is one of my all-time favorite games but Sword of the Stars, while a mediocre title at launch, became my favorite after all the expansions were released.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message