Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

Help needed: guide to the guides

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 8, 2012, 3:51:22 PM
This strategy guide sub-forum needs some attention. We have a number of threads which started as guides before the release of 1.0, and they grew into discussions and contain out-dated information. We need a small number of specifically written guides. If you are interested, please either write one, or post on this thread that you are interested in helping to write one, and we will work out full coverage.

Here are the guides I think we need, along with the pieces we already have.

a. Combat mechanics / ship design

In 1.0 there was significant rebalancing and the existing guides are actively misleading. We need to remove all these and replace with one up to date guide:

How Combat Works: A guide to combat for arguements and gameplay.

Fleet Doctrine: Practical Evolution

Evolution and Equilibrium of Glass Cannon Destroyer Fleet Doctrine

What is the best fleet design strategy?

Optimizing Health HP with Weight Restriction

Attrition Combat: the Defenseless Destroyer Rush & Why and How to Address It

Strategy in Battle

Combat Order

b. Economy / taxation

The information is here, and there haven't been major changes, but the information needs reorganizing into a full guide.

Understanding Dust Production and Income in a System

Dust, Taxes, and You

c. Early game strategy

We have the tutorial, which is a great starting point, and information spread around in "thirty game challenge" threads and a few other places. There are several dozen threads of "I keep getting beaten, what am I doing wrong?", each containing a dozen good pieces of advice. But we need a new guide to specifically address this, going beyond the tutorial.

What strategy do you use early game?

d. Race specific guides

There are two, but they aren't very strong (one of them is mine). The problem is that the races don't really play differently. I would "like" to have one thread for each race, containing tips which are *specific* to that race. But there are so few, and relatively obvious: Hissho: keep bushido filled up; etc. I will leave the two guides here, and if we get more info we can reorganize later.

davea's Hissho strategy thread

Slar's guide to Horatio - How to dominate through love

e. Miscellaneous

These are point guides, which are relatively small and up to date; no changes needed for now

Trade routes

handy guide to race-specific techs

Repair Mechanics: A basic guide and general discussion.

Hero Skills Tree

Which Planets are actually the Best?

Things I learned the hard way..now you don't have to - feel free to add to this list

f. To be removed

These are either too small in scope, or (in the case of the hero chart) replaced by a better one

Optimizing custom races - unless it grows into something more comprehensive

To Terraform Or Not To Terrafrom?

Civil Engineer, probability, and you

Hero Abilities Chart
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 3:25:59 AM
I will redo my guide. Best I can tell only numbers have changed and the information on core mechanics has mostly remained the same.

The defense changes in the past appear to have been done through a rebalance of accuracy. Given my investigations into the XMLs I can now create entirely accurate numbers.

I will give a brief guide in the post about Ship design, but do not intent to rebalance it.

Feel free to integrate it with other guides after I do that, as long as I am properly credited.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 3:30:14 AM
Thanks! Please do start a new thread, so that the random questions and discussions mixed into the old thread can be archived.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 5:46:55 PM
Could you make the descriptions of what goes in each forum clearer? Is this subforum only for finished guides? Where do strategy discussions go?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 6:53:33 PM
I can help by describing what does go here, quoting from the sticky thread in this forum:

davea wrote:
What goes in this sub-forum? Tutorials, strategy guides and descriptions of game mechanics.

What does not go in this sub-forum? Discussions of bugs, suggestions of new features you would like, or new threads which are questions. We want all that feedback, but please post into the appropriate sub-forum elsewhere.

If you read one of the threads here, and you have additional information or a relevant question, please add it to the existing thread. This will keep the sub-forum organized.

If I can make the definition of this forum more clear, please help me to rephrase that. I agree that the definition of the *other* forums is less clear, but one man can only do so much smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 7:16:38 PM
yep will update after I play some more smiley: smile

HP Optimisation attachment is up-to-date. The numbers on the actual post is still old but the math checks out.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 2:40:19 AM
davea wrote:
I can help by describing what does go here, quoting from the sticky thread in this forum:

If I can make the definition of this forum more clear, please help me to rephrase that. I agree that the definition of the *other* forums is less clear, but one man can only do so much smiley: smile

I guess my main question is, where do strategy discussions go? Right now, FAQ & Guides seems to be about basic questions about the game, and you seem to be implying that this forum should be for completed guides. Should we have another forum so that things are split into FAQ, discussion, and guides? Or should discussion and guides both go in this forum as it is now, and there will be a sticky thread indexing the top guides?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 2:52:03 AM
I guess general discussions, strategy or otherwise, go in the main "endless space" forum. Raptor, who takes charge of the FAQ & Guides forum, feels that only specific, closed-end questions should go there. In this forum, I would like to have completed guides, but in most forums I have seen any completed guide winds up with related questions tagged on the end. The main point is, we need completed, updated guides to combat and economy to replace the existing, outdated, slightly wandering threads here.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 13, 2012, 5:48:50 PM
I've put together an index thread to help out. Personally I think these forums should be arranged in the order (and renamed) to have Guides as the main forum, which would incorporate all guides and not have a confusing 'strategy' put in front of it and the FAQ be put into a sub forum of the Guides forum.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 24, 2012, 4:38:26 PM
This thread is up to date. No current/completed guides have been written. Help is still needed.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message