Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space is a turn-based 4X strategy game, covering the space colonization age in the ENDLESS™ Universe. You control every aspect of your civilization as you strive for galactic dominion.

Questions re: how Retreat and Offensive Retreat work, based on BattleCard.xml file

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Feb 18, 2013, 10:52:23 PM
I have a few questions on exactly how the "Retreat" and "Offensive Retreat" cards work, based on how they're described in the BattleCard.xml file. I've also nutshelled my questions for the devs in another post: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/34-faq/thread/14717-question-to-the-devs-how-are-retreat-and-offensive-retreat-intended-to-work

(All examples assume that I am the one retreating.)

Retreat card's actions:[CODE]

BattleCardDescriptor45

BattleCardDescriptor46

[/CODE]

It appears that the regular (i.e., neither my card nor the opponent's card is countered) result is that I retreat in two rounds, and my opponent gets to fire at me unopposed for those two rounds, which matches the card tooltip text. Also, since this card cannot be countered, I understand why there isn't anything in the "Countered" section for this card.

Q1:Why doesn't the "Counter" section have a "BattleAction-Retreat" tag in it? Does this mean that, without that tag, the number of rounds before retreating is zero? That's what is shown on the wiki: http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Action. Does anyone know exactly what happens when the "Retreat" card actually counters a Tactics card?

(EDIT: After some testing, it appears that even though the card text says that "Retreat" will trump a tactics card, it only really blocks the card, and the number of rounds before retreating is still two, and the enemy is firing unopposed for those two rounds.)

Offensive Retreat card's actions:

[CODE]

BattleCardDescriptor47

BattleCardDescriptor48

[/CODE]

It appears that the regular (i.e., neither my card nor the opponent's card is countered) result is that I retreat in one round, and both me and my opponent get to fire for that one round, which does not match the current card tooltip text (i.e., "Player deals 1 unopposed damage round").

Next, it appears that if I counter my opponent's card, I will retreat in two rounds (instead of one), and I get to fire unopposed on my opponent for those two rounds, which makes the current card tooltip text slightly vague (i.e., "Block: 2 damage rounds" but not stating that the player gets to fire unopposed for those two rounds).

Lastly, I assume that the "Countered" section is empty because being countered simply prevents me from retreating, which would then allow both me and my opponent the full four damage rounds during the phase (including missiles launching and landing).

Q2: For the devs: is the "regular" result in the BattleCard.xml correct (i.e., both me and the opponent can fire during the round before my actual retreat), or is the card tooltip text correct (i.e., I get an unopposed round of firing on my opponent)?

Q3: Is my understanding correct as to what happens when I counter my opponent's card with "Offensive Retreat", or is the card tooltip text correct?

Q4: Am I correct in my assumption about how the card works when it is countered? For the devs: is this how it should work, that I would be able to attack the full four rounds (including using missiles) when I get my "Offensive Retreat" card countered?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Oct 20, 2014, 12:30:20 PM
Hi Burlsifu,

As I said in your threat on the Tech support, the offensive Retreat and the retreat will be change in the next patch.

There was indeed a issue in the localization as you find out.

Thanks
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message