Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

What if Amplitude's next big game could be a 'Colonization like' game?

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Aug 25, 2019, 8:11:44 AM

Very excited to hear the news! You guys have reimagined Master of Orion to Endless Space, Master of Magic to Endless Legend and now you're taking on the big one that started them all, Civilization to Humankind.

I for one welcome our new TBS overlords, and I would like to remind Amplitude that as a retro gaming youtuber and promoter I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their forums and store pages.

(Simpsons joke ;) )

So this of course makes me think that there's only one Micropose 90s 4x TBS great left unconquered, Sid Meier's Colonization!

I would love to see what you guys could do with that formula. The original of course is a great game and many times I found it even more addictive than some of the other greats. I recently replayed the original in HD thanks to the old Windows 3.1 version being resizable, and even to this day it is ridiculously addictive.

The Firaxis Civilization IV Colonization sequel/remake took advantage of some of Civ4's cool features like upgradable units with lots of cool skills encouraging you to look after your armies and develop them up RPG style!

Obviously you guys would need to twist your version into something new and different to make it your own game (and not get sued lol) and there's plenty of interesting ideas from other games that could add to the experience.

For example you could tell that the Age of Empires 3 guys at Ensemble were big Colonization fans as they were able to take Colonization's good old Home port city and turn it into a big home city with numerous upgrades and specials that could change the outcome of a Age3 RTS match (call in a second fort card, yes a please!). A TBS Colonization game with RPG'ish heavily upgradable & expandable home city would be a very cool and addictive thing. Obviously that leads to some interesting things when the time comes to rebel against the crown (eg do you benefit or suffer from a upgraded European home city), so maybe it could instead be your home capital in the new world that you upgrade to get cool bonuses?

The brilliant (& still active) fan made FreeCol project has also taken the original Colonization in some interesting directions too such as adding multiplayer, more colonization era nations (Russians, Swedish, Danish and Portuguese) bringing the original measly total of 4 up to 8 players, much better Indian trading, and maps of other Colonization era maps such as Australia & Africa. If you expand the era dates you could add even more colonizing nations (eg fans have been adding more to FreeCol such as Italian, Belgian, Prussian/German and Otoman).

Another area where you guys could totally go in a different direction is combat. Colonization had simple Civ1 style combat so why not expand that into zoomed in tactical combat mode. You guys certainly have plenty of experience in that area with Endless Legend. The often forgotten about Colonization style game called Conquest of the New World had a very Heroes of Might & Magic style chessboard tactical battle mode that you guys could take and expand into something way better!

There's plenty of other examples and cool enhancement ideas out there from good Colonial era strategy games like Imperialism series, Anno 1404, Settlers series, and more...

Hope you guys make this dream a reality one day! :)

Any one else got fun suggestions for a future Amplitude Colonization style game?

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 29, 2019, 10:10:00 PM
ruzen wrote:

I would be more intresed in a endless legend: tactics game

yarrrrrr - like FF tactics?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 6:57:12 AM
Wonkypheasant wrote:
ruzen wrote:

I would be more intresed in a endless legend: tactics game

yarrrrrr - like FF tactics?

exacly

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 10:22:19 AM

Thanks for the detailed post, Blake00! I think we have Colonization fans at the studio too.

P.S. for the others: Tactical battles are a big part of Humankind ;)

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 4, 2019, 11:47:42 AM

Yes, I am a big fan of Colonization begining my experience with Col 1  in 1995. I did also 2 years ago a small youtube serie with Colonization 1.  I'm looking forward for the Amplitude version of Col game :)

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 5, 2019, 7:37:22 PM

I found Fields of Glory: Empires really interesting.

It's not a classical "civ" game but a nice mix of FoG with wargames.

I think it could be a nice starting point for the next Amplitude game.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 10, 2019, 2:25:30 AM
Kyrio wrote:

Thanks for the detailed post, Blake00! I think we have Colonization fans at the studio too.

P.S. for the others: Tactical battles are a big part of Humankind ;)

Thank you so much for replying to me Kyrio. Honoured that my thread was your first post too haha!

I was a bit worried this thread was a waste of my time when I saw the 'not interested' first few replies. It was my number 1 hope that devs would see this but wasn't expecting any comments from you guys so I'm very happy! :)

I posted this thread in a few Civ communites to see what others might say and one fellow had another good suggfestions to expand and defferenciate from tradional Colonisation games.

[QUOTE="Lord Shadow"]Probably twice as much game, but I'd like a Colonization-like which doesn't end after the war of independence, and instead covers post-independence expansion, further dealing with the natives, and interaction with newly free nations. Tech-wise, it could cap around 1880-1900.

It could take certain elements from history in a dynamic fashion, like the possibility of civil wars, which took place in a number of nascent American nations over a variety of reasons, often the handling of government over increasingly large territories.

A highly developed New World in the late game could even lead to a pseudo-Great War as tensions come to a head between the young powers.

Off-screen European nations would take a secondary role after independence, but could still remain relevant due to trade and perhaps incidents which could trigger European interventions.[/QUOTE]

Expanding the timline to the American cival war and the influences enropean nations casn have on that post revolution could be really ineresting. It's almost like going and playing Alpha Centauri after finishing a Civilization 2 game via spaceship victory haha.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message