Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Are These Forums Moderated?

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Apr 19, 2020, 9:37:28 AM
Greetings, new poster here. I psoted something in the General forum and got a pretty snide rresponse. Are these forums moderated at all. I didn't spot any option to report the post, so my guess this is the wild, wild eest, which may explain the unabashed trolling of a newb from a VIP with a bunch of badges. Figured I'd ask somewhere, but I didn't see a forum dedicated to the forum itsefl. Figured off-topic is as a close as it gets. 
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 19, 2020, 10:04:10 AM

Understood, so the moderation consists of active monitoring by monitors, but there's no mechanism for reporting to you guys.

I basically just want to know if hostility is common to this forum or I just caught on of its VIP's with low blood sugar. 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 19, 2020, 10:07:11 AM

The forums aren't big enough to require a report feature. I see every post that is posted and I check frequently a day, though if you need something specific feel free to DM me. Hostility isn't common, though Koxsos was correct in mentioning there are many tutorials you could use available on steam. Koxsos actually wrote many of the most commonly used ones.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 20, 2020, 7:09:24 PM

Thansk for explaining. IAs I alluded to in the other thread, the forum should welcome newcomer questions rather than rebuke the poster for not doing his reading assignment. :)

Noting that there is a lot of unofficial documentation is kind of missing the point. That there's a large amount of decntralized content means there is heavy noise-to-signal ratio in terms of finding the answer you're looking for. (and that the answer hasn't been obsolesced over the course of updates). 

And at any rate, as correct as Kossos might be, that shouldn't be cause for such rudeness. As with anything, if questions from newbs who haven't doone their homweork annoy Kossos, seems like he could have jsut ignored them. 

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 20, 2020, 9:04:54 PM

In my opinion He wasnt as hostile as you think. Just do a bit of research, then post. That is also my opinion but who am I to do so...

I mean using browser on top of the forum, or googling it like Koxsos pointed out isnt that hard or mind boogling as this sounds. Why elaborate on something that is already written multiple times  for example in guides or other posts simillar to yours.

No hard feelings just wanted to point this.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 21, 2020, 3:11:27 PM

Typing something into a search bar is easy. 

Sifting through the results to get the understanding I was seeking, less so. 

Consider that what you and Kossos both expressed as easy only seems that way if the task ends with hitting the ENTER key. 

The reality is....of course I had already googled and spent time sifting through the results. That is not a replacement for interactive knowledge-sharing, just a supplement. At some point a player just wants to play the game. For that reason, simply asking questions from those willing to offer their expertise is more sensible than independent research. And yss, this request for help does ask someone else to spend time advising, but if those experts don't feel it is rewarding to do so, then the thing to do is ignore ther request, not be a jerk and tell the person to do something they had likely already done (indeed, I'm pretty sure my original post does refer to things I've looked up).

Kossos' post is intended to be insulting. This woulld not be tacitly supported in many forums, but I gues his contributions to the forums has earned him goodwilll with regulars here, writing off rudeness as the virtue of directness. More importantly, at some point he did edit out his most overtly insulting bits and just left it as psuedo-help with a heavy helping of condescension. That original post is probably not what you and the Captiain ultimately saw. 
Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 22, 2020, 8:56:05 AM

While we don't have a "report post/user" feature at the moment, our webteam is always working to improve the platform, so this may be implemented later.

Regarding the original thread:

While the sentiment of pointing a player towards different options of obtaining information is not in itself wrong, Koxsos' tone was unwelcoming to new players, and the remark he later removed was confrontational. This was uncalled for and not befitting the status of VIP he has been awarded.

I have addressed this behavior with him directly, emphasized the nature of his misconduct to him, and warned him that further instances of such misconduct will result in revocation of his status. (It is my policy that with the exception of severe offenses, punishment should always be preceded by warning, to give people a chance to improve their behavior.)

P.S. I will move the original thread to the "Game Help" subforum of the ES2 section, as that is where the subject of the thread fits.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message