Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Continuing after the end

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Sep 22, 2019, 9:20:32 PM

So, as in Amplitude's previous games (sans Dungeon), we have the option to continue the match in progress even after someone manages to achieve victory. Will we have that option here, regardless of who wins the fame victory? And, speaking of it, will it be possible to disable it, just as we can disable Endless Space's and Endless Legend's victory conditions?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 26, 2019, 5:14:35 AM

I kinda doubt it can be disabled, given it's the ONLY victory condition.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 27, 2019, 1:17:38 AM

<uninformed opinion> I would think even if it's the only victory condition there shouldn't be too much of an issue. If the AI is coded to achieve victory through Fame I would assume they could still attempt the same even if there is no victory threshold as long as there are renewable sources of Fame.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 27, 2019, 1:59:26 AM
Arkalis wrote:

<uninformed opinion> I would think even if it's the only victory condition there shouldn't be too much of an issue. If the AI is coded to achieve victory through Fame I would assume they could still attempt the same even if there is no victory threshold as long as there are renewable sources of Fame.

They still attempt conquest victories in EL and ES, at least. But, what about the rest of my post?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 27, 2019, 5:05:51 AM

Possibly, I'd probably say even likely. I should point out though that there's only supposed to be a limited number of fame points avaiable per era as I understand it, so it isn't renewable.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 28, 2019, 3:24:00 AM
ImperatorTempus42 wrote:

They still attempt conquest victories in EL and ES, at least. But, what about the rest of my post?

Playing after a victory and disabling the only victory condition would both depend on what the AI does when it cannot win. I mentioned the "renewable" sources of Fame because an easy way to give them purpose is to seek more Fame, even if there is no final score to achieve.

Dinode wrote:

I should point out though that there's only supposed to be a limited number of fame points avaiable per era as I understand it, so it isn't renewable.

I thought about it after the fact, and that would most likely indicate that going by the easy route the AI wouldn't have goals when they run out of Fame. Then again I have no idea how it is being developed, so they might surprise us and have goals for the AI.

A lousy implementation but interesting idea for giving the AIs agendas was used in Civ VI through their, well, Agendas. They were a little simplistic and the way they went at achieving them made them quite insane when it came to doing other stuff besides those, but in theory that would give those AIs goals to do beyond victory conditions. I'm not saying I want that system in Humankind, but something similar in spirit would help the AI commit actions towards something beyond Fame (which in my uninfomed opinion I'm assuming is the AI's primary and possibly only motivation for decision-making).

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 28, 2019, 1:51:44 PM
Arkalis wrote:
ImperatorTempus42 wrote:

Playing after a victory and disabling the only victory condition would both depend on what the AI does when it cannot win. I mentioned the "renewable" sources of Fame because an easy way to give them purpose is to seek more Fame, even if there is no final score to achieve.

Dinode wrote:

I should point out though that there's only supposed to be a limited number of fame points avaiable per era as I understand it, so it isn't renewable.

I thought about it after the fact, and that would most likely indicate that going by the easy route the AI wouldn't have goals when they run out of Fame. Then again I have no idea how it is being developed, so they might surprise us and have goals for the AI.

A lousy implementation but interesting idea for giving the AIs agendas was used in Civ VI through their, well, Agendas. They were a little simplistic and the way they went at achieving them made them quite insane when it came to doing other stuff besides those, but in theory that would give those AIs goals to do beyond victory conditions. I'm not saying I want that system in Humankind, but something similar in spirit would help the AI commit actions towards something beyond Fame (which in my uninfomed opinion I'm assuming is the AI's primary and possibly only motivation for decision-making).

Maybe it will be based on which cultures were picked, with the culture selection the only thing motivated solely by maximizing fame?

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message