Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Possibility of Epic game store exclusivity

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Jun 3, 2020, 11:42:02 AM

Recently, Total War:Troy was announced that it's going to be an Epic store exclusive for 1 year, while previously not mentioning any of this and even having a Steam store page that had the 2020 release date. https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

We know that SEGA is the publisher for both of Amplitude studios and CA, so there is a possiblity for Humankind to be going the same route. If the devs are able to, can they clarify if this is going to be an Epic exclusive?

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 3, 2020, 12:09:42 PM

We'Ve said it before, and we'll say it again: We'll be available on Steam at launch, and we are not pursuing plans for Epic Exclusivity.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 3, 2020, 4:00:11 PM

I was worried at first too, but if you've read their blog, that you yourself linked, then you should know, that:

a) their decision wasn't forced on them by SEGA, it was decision of CA studio;

b) they weren't going for excusivity deal initially;

c) they were approached by EPIC first and wasn't disposed to take the deal immidiately;

d) after careful consideration inside the studio, they took the deal for TROY specifically and have no intent to continue the practice with any other future games, as they want to gain as much wide audience as possible.

To my knowledge, Total War Saga is a spin-off series to the main TW, and previous installments weren't greatly succefull or well received. I guess this deal is both an insurance and opportunity to market the game, as free give away upon the launch day is clearly part of the deal here.

With that in mind, I can't see how this would affect Amplitude in any meaningful way.

P.S. With all that said, If Amplitude would carry on any EGS exclusive deal, I will consider it an act of treason and terminate any future relationship with their studio and their games :P

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 3, 2020, 4:32:36 PM

I agree. Nobody will feel bad that the game is distributed on any platforms, but to make your project exclusive on a new platform is a real disrespect for fans. + Amplitude to karma for continuing to release their products in one place.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 4, 2020, 12:59:34 AM

The Epic hate is completely unreasonable. You could get it on PC either way and the publisher gets more money. I can't believe people threw this much of a fit over being forced to have a second launcher.

0Send private message
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 4, 2020, 12:26:31 PM
Eulogos wrote:

The Epic hate is completely unreasonable. You could get it on PC either way and the publisher gets more money. I can't believe people threw this much of a fit over being forced to have a second launcher.

1) The publisher getting more money is irrelevant to me as a customer. Since it does not result in any tangible benefit. Yes despite everything they say it does not result in better games or a more polished experience. For example: Mechwarriror 5

2) With that said, the reason I am against Epic exclusivity is that I am firmly against their last second aquisition of a property for exclusive use when it was clearly promised to come out on specific platforms...and especially of their abuse of Kickstarter. Where the game is supposed to be fully funded. (They met and exceeded their goal for funding but now are saying "This game would never have been finished without Epic exclusivity.") Specifically it means one of several things: Either your budget for the game was rather poorly thought out and you didn't consider what making the game would actually cost. Second, you flat out lied and are taking the extra money because "cash!" Third, you don't really care about the people who funded your game and made it a possiblitly in the first place. None of those things are very flattering...although at least one of them shows basic incompetence in managing a gaming project and not any malicious intent or greed.

3) The Epic slant on game development is pretty dishonest. They are claiming that it is dishonesty and greed that are driving Steam but the base cost of publshing games on GOG is the exact same thing. Is CD Project Red driven by greed and dishonesty? You know...the folks who gave away 15 Witcher 3 DLCs for free?

Now with all that said...I have no issue with exclusivity if Epic are the publishers from the start. If they say we are publshing so and so game by <insert developer> and it will have exclusivity to our platform. I can't argue with that. They funded the game from the start and believed in a developer and what they were doing. That's great. I salute that. But I do not support this underhanded, last second snatch away nonsense that they are pulling. And every developer who falls for it is brought down several notches in my estimation and has now been filed away under "dubious".

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 4, 2020, 2:44:22 PM
Eulogos wrote:

I agree with Slashman.

Plus, I find it annoying how Epic manages the option of deleting your account.

A friend of mine once discovered that he had an Epic account but hadn't known about it until he got an e-mail from them. Somebody had used his e-mail-adress. He wanted to change his password for login and then delete his account but the confirmation link in the e-mail he was sent was valid for only a limited amount of time (a few seconds). Back then he had a worse PC and worse Wifi, so his inbox and the e-mail didn't open fast enough. He had to try multiple times.

So basically, Epic doesn't want you to delete your account.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 4, 2020, 5:22:31 PM

Give me a separate Amplitude game launcher with built-in Horatio lingerie advertisements and quintuple login authentication or it's a no go for me.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 4, 2020, 5:43:05 PM

Totally agree with Slashman. 
Aside from that, Epic Store still dare not to admit that they have indeed install something to collect information from your PC (without your agreement).

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 4, 2020, 5:44:15 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

We'Ve said it before, and we'll say it again: We'll be available on Steam at launch, and we are not pursuing plans for Epic Exclusivity.

Thank for the reconfirmation. Will definitely pre order it! Hope can play it soon.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 15, 2020, 7:55:46 AM

There is another parameter to consider here as well. I've had the most unpleasant experience with Epic Games when I decided to give their "OLD WORLD" exclusive title a go. It so happened that their release of that game coincided with the GTA V free giveaway. The end result; unable to play the game at launch for hours as well as being unable to use their launcher app or their webpage. During the COVID lockdown STEAM didn't crash or slow down once and in general, even when they launch their most popular titles their servers are always up to the task. I've tried GOG, EA's Origin and EPIC and no one comes close to the smooth service that STEAM provides. Another thing is customer service. With STEAM it's smooth; if you play the game less than two hours you apply for refund and you get your money back in 24 hours. I tried the same with EPIC and it took an EPIC ammount of time to get refunded. What I'm getting at is that developers and studios should keep these aspects in consideration. What you pay for is the level of service that you get. If someone is undercutting the market, if someone is offering too good to be true packages then they're probably just that; too good to be true.  

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 15, 2020, 8:49:12 AM
I'm using Steam since 2007, and it wasn't always as it is now, but they sure worked hard on building their own CDN all these years to have competitive edge in this regard. I sure feel what that 30% cut is for as a customer.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 16, 2020, 6:58:17 PM

"We'Ve said it before, and we'll say it again: We'll be available on Steam at launch, and we are not pursuing plans for Epic Exclusivity."

Good having the conformation, really glad you guys are going for an non-exclusive approach. I've had an idea that Epic Games instead of exclusives give discounts on launch relative to Steam, that way you WANT to buy on that platform and it's more healthy for the gaming community. Along with giving Steam more competition which should help with the economy and reducing monopolies.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 16, 2020, 9:23:50 PM

I agree that giving some of the 30% cut they were reducing to the consumer instead of just the publisher probably would have been better received by the public. People are short-sighted and selfish and only want what is in their immediate short term benefit, rather than seeing the value of supporting the devs that make the games they love.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 17, 2020, 1:46:22 AM
Eulogos wrote:

I agree that giving some of the 30% cut they were reducing to the consumer instead of just the publisher probably would have been better received by the public. People are short-sighted and selfish and only want what is in their immediate short term benefit, rather than seeing the value of supporting the devs that make the games they love.

And even if you happen to want to support competition and developers, Epic games using exclusives makes it so you feel like supporting them is saying yes to future exclusives which is anti-consumer, not to mention the general aversion pc players feel to being cheated. Which i believe is the general sentiment. Of course there are other option for support developers and encouraging competition such as GoG which I always buy from given the opportunity.

In short the community WANTS to support you epic games but we don't want to support exclusives.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 17, 2020, 7:02:01 AM

If we are going to that stupid "30%" argument again, any dev can get 100% of the sale value by setting up its own store and selling Steam keys they generate for free.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 17, 2020, 7:03:49 AM
Taokr wrote:

I've had an idea that Epic Games instead of exclusives give discounts on launch relative to Steam, that way you WANT to buy on that platform and it's more healthy for the gaming community. 

Not only that creates unfair offer to Steam users, it also devalues game itself right at launch.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 17, 2020, 2:21:29 PM
Sublustris wrote:

Not only that creates unfair offer to Steam users, it also devalues game itself right at launch.

Any less unfair than not having the product at all? I'm fine with a competitor having better deals on products. As for the second point about devaluation, that is a genuine concern. Epic Games would have to do a study or model of some sort to find out if 30% or whatever off is better than just exclusive.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message