logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Suggestion of Ming's Rocket Cart Design

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Aug 6, 2020, 4:35:27 PM

Hello! I'm just bring a new suggestion about Ming's Rocket Cart Design

The art of Ming's Rocket Cart is so wrong. It looks like Hwacha of Joseon.

So, Let's compare what's different !

Here's the art of Ming's Rocket Cart 

And this is Hwacha 

Doesn't it look too similar to each other?

That's right! It's because there are many similarities.

Now Let's take a look at the real Ming's Rocket Cart

架火戰車, Jia Huo Zhan Che (means 'Chariot of fire rack') from 'Wu Bei Zhi (武備志)

The difference between Joseon and Ming Dynasty is that Hwacha has two wheels, but Ming has one.

and also they don't have Large Board Plate between wheel and Launch pad but Joseon has.

This is because flexible angle control was needed to fight in the mountain fortress or mountains.

( Cart of MunJong's Hwacha of Joseon )

Now can you see the difference?

There was one wheel the center of cart and no large Board plate between Wheel and Launch Pad.

So, I attach more data to help you design the Ming Dynasty's Rocket Cart.

(Linked Jia Huo zhan Che, from Wu Bei Zhi)

and also, if you follow the below link, there is some detailed explanation about Ming's Rocket Cart, so please refer to it.

The Link (English)

Introduce of Ming's Rocket Cart from History Channel
Start at 2:02

Thank you !

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 7, 2020, 3:27:58 AM

Do you have a more credible argument or support evidence to prove the Korean version rocket cart? I have seen two posts of suggestions on Ming's rocket cart design, both of you have mentioned an important historical material: Wu bei zhi. But I haven't seen the Korean historical record on the Korean version rocket cart, you and your friend didnt provide it. I believe a strict historical recording is more receivable than one 3D figure, modern model, Wikipedia, or movie clips.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 7, 2020, 8:37:37 AM
hehtdezx wrote:

Do you have a more credible argument or support evidence to prove the Korean version rocket cart? I have seen two posts of suggestions on Ming's rocket cart design, both of you have mentioned an important historical material: Wu bei zhi. But I haven't seen the Korean historical record on the Korean version rocket cart, you and your friend didnt provide it. I believe a strict historical recording is more receivable than one 3D figure, modern model, Wikipedia, or movie clips.

You can find a lot of historical data and records about the Hwacha. 

There is 國朝五禮儀序例 (Kuk Jo Oh Rye W Seo Rye, 1474), one of the ancient books famous for the description of the Hwacha. This books provides a detailed description of Joseon's weapons and armor at the time. The Hwacha can be found in section 兵器圖說 (Byeong Gi Do Seol), where gunpowder weapons are recorded. 

This book is being kept at Gyujanggak(Royal Library of the Joseon Dynasty)

( A replica made by reference to 國朝五禮儀序例 )

And also you can find another description about Hwacha in the 戎垣必備 (Yung Won Pil Bi, 1813)

This book records detailed data and standards of Joseon's gunpower weapons.

And I tried to find about Ming Dynasty Rocket Cart, But Ming Dynasty Rocket Cart has poor historical records, so there is no accurate data or detailed explantion, just only a little painting or explanation.
There are two ancient books about chinese rocket carts. One is a manuscript and the contents continue to be replenished over time, so It's unreliable. (火龍經, Huolongjing, 1368-1683) and another one is 武備志 (Wubei Zhi, 1621) but this one is also no accurate data or detailed exlpantion. :(
But We know how it looks like.

First, I mentioned about Large Board plate, this part was only on the Hwacha (I tried to find the Large board plate in the chinese rocket cart in the historical recoards, but I couldn't find it.)

Second, about the wheels. There are 2 types of cart design of the Ming Dynasty.

Left, 架火戰車(Jia Huo Zhan Che) from 武備志 (Wubei Zhi, 1621) / Right, 火櫃攻敵車 from 武備志 (Wubei Zhi, 1621)

As you can see the Left one only has 1 wheel, and Right one has 2 wheels.

If Humankind art team refer to Right one, but the design is completely different from Right one. that's why I'm suggest to change the design of Ming's Rocket Cart

If you need more information about Hwacha, I give you some more.

Picture of Hwacha from National Science Museum (Korean)

About Hwacha (Wiki)

Movie Clip from Jigijeon

Hwacha from Mythbuster

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 7, 2020, 9:02:45 AM

Beat me to it. I'll just add that you can find a copy of the thing here with this chapter being the one containing this stuff. Also, ElsepehthSermon, you can drop mentioning the other one from 戎垣必備. That one is a gun gallery, unless the text other than on those pictures does talk about equipping it with fire arrows. I heavily doubt that as those were just extremely outdated by 1813 (they were outdated and ineffective even by the Imjin war but you take what you can get...).

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 7, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
Ananashi wrote:

Beat me to it. I'll just add that you can find a copy of the thing here with this chapter being the one containing this stuff. Also, ElsepehthSermon, you can drop mentioning the other one from 戎垣必備. That one is a gun gallery, unless the text other than on those pictures does talk about equipping it with fire arrows. I heavily doubt that as those were just extremely outdated by 1813 (they were outdated and ineffective even by the Imjin war but you take what you can get...).

戎垣必備 is a book on military technology compiled and published by the 訓練都監(Hullyondogam) in 1813 (the 13th year of King Sunjo's reign)
This book is believed to have inherited the 總筒謄錄(Chongtongdeungrok, published in September 1448 (the 30th year of King Sejong's reign) ), which was compiled and published by recording in detail the casting process, usage methods of gunpowder of all cannons in the early Joseon Dynasty.

Through this book, you can learn about the unique style and specifications of firearms in Joseon and the development process Joseon's weapons from the Imjin War( Japanese Invasion of Korea) to the late Joseon Dynasty.

戎垣必備  details the specifications, range, and amount of gunpowder for these weapons.

For example, Details of CheonjaChongtong was written.

口徑(Caliber) is 5寸 6分 / Length 6尺 6寸 3分 / Weight 1,209斤 / Amount of gunpowder 30兩 / Range 1,200步 / Jeon or Tan are using 大將軍筒, 水鐵鉛衣丸(kind of cannon ball) 

so, it's not just a gun gallery. 

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 7, 2020, 10:37:59 AM

A gun gallery means a carriage with lots of guns in it (synonymous with organ gun, volley gun, etc.). The main point being that the drawing is that of a carriage equipped with rows of guns, stacked on top of each other and not fire arrows, which is what we're after here.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Aug 7, 2020, 12:40:16 PM
Ananashi wrote:

A gun gallery means a carriage with lots of guns in it (synonymous with organ gun, volley gun, etc.). The main point being that the drawing is that of a carriage equipped with rows of guns, stacked on top of each other and not fire arrows, which is what we're after here.

Sorry for misunderstand XP

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message