Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Things of Note from the Unity Showcase Stream

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Mar 18, 2021, 10:09:25 PM

So Humankind got shown off during the Unity Showcase Stream, here's some stuff that was noticed by the Discord and the Reddit.

Firstly, the video had "ALPHA FOOTAGE" in the bottom right, so of course, all of this is subject to change.

Resources you do not know appear as ?s on the map, likely so you don't accidentally build a wonder on top of the only saltpeter in your surrounding area.

Outposts can now be deattached.

Killing a Mammoth now gives just 20 money.

The UI has been improved across the board, from cities, civics, events, and combat, looking a lot more bold and slick.

When selecting a civic choice in the civics menu, it now shows where the bar of the relevant axis is and where it moves!

Hovering over the status effect (Like Force-Labor or Patriotic) given to a city in an event now tells you what'll happen.

The Emblematic Units appear to get a special laurel styled flair to them on the tech tree, probably denoting their emblematicness. 

When placing a new district, the tooltip is much nicer, detailing what it gains from the district, what it gains from exploits, and what is lost by putting it down, including it's stability cost.

We got to see a few new player icon choices, including an fairly simple wings out eagle, ram's head, boar's head, horse head (the old Hun symbol), and a dragon-looking thing.

Upgrading an outpost into a city seems to cost a lump sum of influence.

Lack of stability now seems to cost money, according to a hovered over tooltip.

Units now have a small money and population symbol under them, denoting whether or not you have the required population and money to produce the unit. Yes, that means to produce a unit, you now need population, industry, and a lump sum of cash. For example, when they started to construct a single Mycenaean Promchoi, it cost 135 industry, 180 money, and 1 population.

When you unlock an Era Star, the game now informs you which Era Star you unlocked.

There are also bars on the side of the screen beneath your info in the upper left with a symbol of the various types of era stars that appear when you are close to gaining that era star.

There are now a bunch more notifications for things it seems, such as having a war declared on you, winning battles, and when you are nearing victory in a war.

Additionally, some notifications now refer to the specific empire they mention, where it was previously something like "You have a new grievance against Empire 3." it now displays the symbol and the name of the culture they currently are in their selected color, so it would be something like "You have a new grievance against [Ram's Head] Nubia!"

A confirmation that your avatar's perks and whatnot do not effect you when playing single player. (Some people thought that they did, apparently.)

Districts Stability Reduction has gone from -5 to -10.

The trade screen in the Diplomacy screen had the option to show Imports and Exports, but we never got to see what that looks like.

A special icon appears when moving units into rivers.

Yield Icons are generally clearer and appear more stylish.

The Mycenaean Cyclopean Fortress has a +5 stability modifier.

Additionally of note, with some speculation, the Cyclopean Fortress has a part on it reading "Placement Prerequisites: Can be built once per Territory." The Cyclopean Fortress is not a Garrison replacement, so it's likely not a limit to the number of Garrisons that can be placed per territory, but instead, a hard cap on the number of a culture's EQs that you can have per territory.

Contemporary Culture Cards will start coming out "soon."

They also won the streams "Most Anticipated Unity Game Award" so congrats to that.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 12:12:41 AM

Thank you for the summary. So it looks like numerous things have been improved/balanced.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 12:25:28 AM
RobotDoctorRobot wrote:
Additionally of note, with some speculation, the Cyclopean Fortress has a part on it reading "Placement Prerequisites: Can be built once per Territory." The Cyclopean Fortress is not a Garrison replacement, so it's likely not a limit to the number of Garrisons that can be placed per territory, but instead, a hard cap on the number of a culture's EQs that you can have per territory.

I am 100% okay with this.

RobotDoctorRobot wrote:
The trade screen in the Diplomacy screen had the option to show Imports and Exports, but we never got to see what that looks like.

And I like this.

RobotDoctorRobot wrote:
Units now have a small money and population symbol under them, denoting whether or not you have the required population and money to produce the unit. Yes, that means to produce a unit, you now need population, industry, and a lump sum of cash. For example, when they started to construct a single Mycenaean Promchoi, it cost 135 industry, 180 money, and 1 population.

And I really like this. I mean, I'll probably hate not having the money to support my army in game, but that's a me problem lol

0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 12:38:42 AM

There a lot of tidbits of good information in the Unity Showcase about what the community had noticed during Opendevs. Of course everything is subject to change, but its nice to see where progress has been made. 

CIty UI:

Before

After:

Combat UI:

Before

After

The UIs contain so much that it's difficult fitting everything in without taking too much space. 

The Mycenaean's EQ being limited to one per territory is interesting as EQs did not have any limitations during opendev. Personally, I'm fine a restriction on powerful quarters but it's all about balancing the benefit out compared to (potentially) spammable EQs. As long as the restricted quarter can compete, I don't see much or an issue.  

Military units costing population, industry, and money to produce is going to be interesting. Such weighty costs go against an additional quarter or infrastructure... so investing in military will be a tougher choice. On another note, players will have to balance multiple resources instead the traditional focus industry to produce that strong military. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 7:13:56 AM

Wow, thank you very much for the summary!

This is very good news, seems like they addressed all the (reasonably fixable, at least) issues I had.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 8:22:53 AM
RNGZero wrote:

The UIs contain so much that it's difficult fitting everything in without taking too much space. 

Isn't that how it has already been looking in Lucy OpenDev?

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 2:28:19 PM
Does now a territory get a name when attached to a city?

I am looking at that territory northwest of Mikenae that seems to got named "Almach" when attached to that city. I don't remember that from previous versions of the game.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 5:51:07 PM
aguaacrobata wrote:

I am looking at that territory northwest of Mikenae that seems to got named "Almach" when attached to that city. I don't remember that from previous versions of the game.

Certain geographical landscapes of significant size are given names much like we do in the real world (Mississippi River, Amazon Rainforest, etc.). 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 19, 2021, 6:55:46 PM

I would love to see some sort of communication from Amplitude along the lines of "Here's some things we fixed or changed from the OpenDev". A lot of these improvements look great and I'm sure there's a lot more that we haven't seen.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 23, 2021, 11:04:08 AM
RNGZero wrote:
aguaacrobata wrote:

Certain geographical landscapes of significant size are given names much like we do in the real world (Mississippi River, Amazon Rainforest, etc.). 

Yes, but I mean the outpost northwest from the capital city of Mykena, that once attached appeared the word "Almach" over it. I don't know if this word is meant to be like a Name or if it has another porpouse... I remember there was some discussion on reddit after the Lucy Opendev about the convinience of naming the outposts and attached territories, and maybe something like this was implemented.

Before being attached:

After being attached:

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 23, 2021, 4:49:26 PM
aguaacrobata wrote:

Before being attached:

After being attached:

I imagine Almach is probably a name on the Mycenaean city list, and it was named that. Think of it in the way that both Buda and Pest were cities that got big enough to combine into one Budapest.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message