Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Denuvo DRM

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 6:26:52 AM

I don't see a threat about this here, but I also don't see a search function. If there is a thread, please point me to it and close this one.

Anyway, the Steam store page says that this game requires Denuvo DRM. I'm assuming that's a publisher decision. Still, the license agreement is quite ominous:

This Product may beprotected by anti-cheat/hacking software and/or Denuvo Anti-Tamper Protection Technology (“Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology”). You hereby acknowledge and agree to the following regarding the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology:

the installation of the Product will cause the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology to be installed on your device;

the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology may limit the number of installations of the Product;

the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology may install on your device additional components required for copy protection;

during the installation and/or the first launch of the Product, an online connection may be required to activate the Product and the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology; and

certain files of the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology may remain even after the Product is uninstalled from your device.

In no event shall SEGA be liable to you in connection with the components that may be installed on your device relating to the Denuvo Anti-Tamper Technology.

Can we get some clarification on exactly what this DRM is going to do on our computers? How often do we need to be online? How strict is it about checking for hardware changes? Will it really leave files behind once I uninstall the game? Is it collecting any information? How can I be sure that it doesn't install additional files in the future? Is it running with elevated privileges and thus creating security problems, like so many past DRM solutions did? There have been many reports about this specific DRM causing performance problems, locking people out of playing the game because of an overclocked processor or a RAM upgrade or a re-install of Windows, and so on.

It's rather poor that SEGA won't take responsibility for any damage that this DRM solution causes, too.

Can we convince you not to ship this obsolete DRM with the game? I really don't want it on my system. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 2:19:35 PM

Denuvo DRM is fairly common 3rd party implementation of copy-protection. What it aims to do is to delay piracy enough to drive sales up during the critical pre-order and immediate post-launch period. That's the publishers (SEGA) point of view and the actual devs may or may not have very little to say about it.

Now, for the negatives for you and me and other fellow pc-gamers. Running a game with it requires an online authentication at the first run and frequently there-after. So off-line mode for strictly single-player content is out of question. Denuvo drm also runs anti-tamper checks tied to various, pre-configured in-game actions. For example another game, Injustice 2 (which notoriously still includes it), executes a script every time a character jumps. Unless I remember wrong, this was discovered by inspecting real-time memory access. Technical stuff. Now, all this extra work consumes CPU time in the background and a poor implementations of Denuvo DRM has been known to cause stutters in select few games. But this is generally an exception.

For measurable downsides: 1) increased loading times due to bloated game footprint 2) possible caveat for hardware with weaker CPU.

This is the short and simple take on it. They added a notification on this drm around the delay was announced, although I doubt the two are connected. It still stinks for avid gamers like me who always wish for the best possible version of the product. I actively boycott Denuvo drm and only buy games without it or after it's been removed at a later date, the latter which has about 50/50 chance of happening. For more info on the effects on performance, see Overlord Gaming's channel on Youtube.

Edit: OP's post has a bunch of scary stuff that doesn't apply here. There won't be additional files outside the game folder, it won't require higher priviliges or cause security problems. And it certainly does not spy on you beyond DRM's purpose. Securom and Starforce are indeed the more invasive predecessors. Why people still hate Denuvo has more to do upholding principles

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 2:39:46 PM
Forgiven12 wrote:

Edit: OP's post has a bunch of scary stuff that doesn't apply here. There won't be additional files outside the game folder, it won't require higher priviliges or cause security problems. And it certainly does not spy on you beyond DRM's purpose. Securom and Starforce are indeed the more invasive predecessors. Why people still hate Denuvo has more to do upholding principles

How do we know that it doesn't do anything like that, though? The license agreement suggests that it does or that it could start doing so without notice at any time. Why are you so confident that SEGA isn't doing anything naughty, either by intent or due to oversight and carelessness? I'm not at all confident about that.

It would be nice to get some clarification from the developers and, if we can't entirely remove Denuvo, at least an updated license agreement that says what it's doing and what it's allowed to do.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 25, 2021, 4:21:07 PM

Sadly I just cancelled my preorder, this is the first time I will not buy a game from Amplitude studios. Personally it's my policy to never buy anything with Denuvo. As for the reasons why, it does have negative performance effect in most game where it were measured, even some developers complained about it.

I am very sad, but it looks like Humankind is not for me, at least not until Denuvo is removed and it looks like it will stay for a long time (If we look at last Total War from Sega).

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 25, 2021, 7:00:00 PM

Yeah, I'm unfortunately leaning in the same direction. It'd be nice to get some kind of response from the studio or the publisher, though. Maybe they can at least update the license agreement to strictly limit with Denuvo is allowed to do. That won't fix the performance loss, but it would at least alleviate the concerns about leftover files, data collection, security holes, and so on.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 2:11:33 AM
Forgiven12 wrote:
So off-line mode for strictly single-player content is out of question.

If this is true I seriously have to consider refunding.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 4:59:39 AM

This is incredibly disappointing.  DRM is ineffective and only punishes paying customers.  Please reconsider Amplitude.  Inclusion of Denuvo is enough to lose a lot of goodwill with me.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 6:35:50 AM

I am here to help with finding the search function!

The denuvo related posts seem currently on the rise although they do not neccesarily have it in the thread name, which is a shame.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 7:19:36 AM

Yeah, it's very disappointing. Amplitude was one of the last strategy game developers I respected, but I will also be refunding the game and waiting until Denuvo is removed.

I am pretty bummed, as this is really the only game I want to play this summer, but voting with my wallet is the only real voice I have on these matters.

DRM, and Denuvo (and particularly the EULA as it stands with this product, Humankind) are quite simply unacceptable.

I feel very bad for Amplitude and the team working on Humankind, as they probably had little to no say on the matter, but I hope people vote with their wallets and make it clear to Sega that adding Denuvo is unacceptable and will lowers sales rather than increase them.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 9:22:09 AM
Bankipriel wrote:
I feel very bad for Amplitude and the team working on Humankind

I don't. This is what you get for working with these publishers.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 10:20:50 AM

How do you go about requesting a refund if you pre-purchased via Steam? There's no clear link anywhere here or at Steam - not the I can see, anyway. I don't like this Denuvo thing and their get-out-of-jail-free EULA either.

*NVM - I found it, eventually. Nobody makes these actions easy... I, too, have requested a refund. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 12:02:55 PM

I had no idea until now that Humankind is infected with this Denuvo DRM tech. No wonder people where complaining how bad it runs in some systems and one player said that on his older machine the difference between Cyberpunk 2077 and Humankind is that Humankind runs worse and with more resource consumption

Now to be completely honest you can`t put that tech in a game if the producing studio, namely Amplitude is not 100% on board. If they would not want that they would just turn to another publisher or went to a crowdfunding platform to get financed and so on

Such an unfortunate decision from these companies

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 3:48:12 PM
GlorySign wrote:

I had no idea until now that Humankind is infected with this Denuvo DRM tech. No wonder people where complaining how bad it runs in some systems and one player said that on his older machine the difference between Cyberpunk 2077 and Humankind is that Humankind runs worse and with more resource consumption

Now to be completely honest you can`t put that tech in a game if the producing studio, namely Amplitude is not 100% on board. If they would not want that they would just turn to another publisher or went to a crowdfunding platform to get financed and so on

Such an unfortunate decision from these companies

I don't think Amplitude can find another publisher. They're actually a part of Sega now.

koxsos wrote:

I am here to help with finding the search function!

The denuvo related posts seem currently on the rise although they do not neccesarily have it in the thread name, which is a shame.

Thanks! I found it after I made this thread.

@SpikedWallMan: That other thread is actually newer than this one!

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 5:00:09 PM
Kwami wrote:
I don't think Amplitude can find another publisher. They're actually a part of Sega now.

Thanks for the info, i had no idea that they are so deep into Sega. Are they fully acquired or partially independent?

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 5:31:17 PM

Again, thank you for the info and the quick responses, good vibes to you guys. It saddens me to find out this. And than this also means they 100% wanted and agreed to get acquired by Sega and renounce their independence status by their own free will.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 5:50:56 PM

Probably wanted to expand their studio to make more ambitious games and keep creative freedom, but could not afford to pay the bills for that on their own.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 8:10:14 PM
Sublustris wrote:

Probably wanted to expand their studio to make more ambitious games and keep creative freedom, but could not afford to pay the bills for that on their own.

Sure. They also said that they wanted to work with some of SEGA's other studios, like Relic. I don't hold anything against Amplitude for selling out to SEGA. Business is business. But I don't know how to talk to SEGA, so I posted about Denuvo here instead. Aside from not buying the game (which is quite likely at this point), it's all that I can really do, I think.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 26, 2021, 8:47:44 PM
Sublustris wrote:

Yes, Sega surely is in the expansion, helping and giving you all the creative freedom business as neutrals are expanded in our empire when we played the Poe Closed Beta :)))

At least in game neutral factions had no other choice

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment
0Send private message