Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

About Denuvo removal

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jul 20, 2021, 6:23:35 PM

I just created the account to say thanks for removing Denuvo. I followed the developement of this game, and initially I had no plans of buying it soon, but after reading a new aboit it, I'll surely support you. Thanks!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 20, 2021, 7:21:45 PM

The main thread got locked - but I just came to share Ars Technica is running an article on the removal.

The comments section is full of "I'm going to buy this now just to show my support for the devs for this decision (removal)."

So positive press brings sales too =D    Keep up the good work guys and keep on keeping my trust.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 20, 2021, 10:01:45 PM

How to make something look good 101: make it worse and then bring it back how it was.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 3:42:57 AM

I suspect the Denuvo was Sega's idea since several games they publish all have Denuvo in them despite it being one of the most hated DRM programs and for good reason. Hopefully this starts a trend of them not putting Denuvo in everything anymore and removing it in older games, one can dream at least.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 4:50:18 AM

It's worth noting that there are some folks who will NOT buy this unless you remove the Denuvo reference on the Steam page. O just checked and it's still there. At this point, you're just self-harming every day it is there.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 10:51:04 AM

To anyone who was worried about the information on the Steam store page - thank you for your patience, it is up to date now!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 4:57:19 PM
Matcha wrote:

The main thread got locked - but I just came to share Ars Technica is running an article on the removal.

The comments section is full of "I'm going to buy this now just to show my support for the devs for this decision (removal)."

I don't want to be the guy saying, "I told you so" but ... I told you so:

Khaar wrote:

This could be a smart move causing a lot of positive PR!

There is also already an artice on PCGamesN: Humankind devs remove Denuvo anti-piracy software after performance hit

And I'm sure much more will follow!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 9:14:14 PM

I like how these news outlets are acting like the only reason people oppose Denuvo is performance issues.  Performance issues are only part of the problem - the other parts of the problem being eventual lockouts when the Denuvo servers close, possible problems with offline play, potential issues with modding, hassling your customers while the pirates get a better version of the game, etc, etc.  But hey, at least there is a measurable number of people out there who say that they're preordering because of the anti-DRM stance that Amplitude took here.  Very happy to see that happening.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 9:59:35 PM
SpikedWallMan wrote:

I like how these news outlets are acting like the only reason people oppose Denuvo is performance issues.  Performance issues are only part of the problem - the other parts of the problem being eventual lockouts when the Denuvo servers close, possible problems with offline play, potential issues with modding, hassling your customers while the pirates get a better version of the game, etc, etc.  But hey, at least there is a measurable number of people out there who say that they're preordering because of the anti-DRM stance that Amplitude took here.  Very happy to see that happening.

Well, in fairness to the media covering the story, performance is also the only reason that Amplitude gave for removing Denuvo. They also don't seem to care about the other problems, unfortunately.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 3:22:52 PM

Considering what Denuvo's current dislike is from Resident Evil Village having a severe performance hit dur to Denuvo proved to be true, right now thats the big news article. The other stupid mess the DRM system gives isnt as important right now to users/players and media.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 8:32:17 PM
TheLoneWildWolf wrote:
Resident Evil Village having a severe performance hit dur to Denuvo proved to be true,

How could they be proved to be true, if performance hiccups were fixed, yet Denuvo is still there? It was clearly Capcom's own DRM at fault.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 9:14:15 PM
Sublustris wrote:
TheLoneWildWolf wrote:
Resident Evil Village having a severe performance hit dur to Denuvo proved to be true,

How could they be proved to be true, if performance hiccups were fixed, yet Denuvo is still there? It was clearly Capcom's own DRM at fault.

Or Campcom's implementation of Denuvo, or the way that the two DRM systems interacted. We don't know and they aren't likely to tell us.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 5:54:53 AM
Kwami wrote:
Or Campcom's implementation of Denuvo

If it was, they wouldn't be able to fix that in mere days after press backlash. Guy that cracked it himself said Denuvo wasn't a culprit there.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 31, 2021, 10:52:49 AM

Just wanted to add my 2-cents as well, and say: Thank you, Amplitude!

Due to the removal of Denuvo, I have pre-ordered Humankind, which was the only game I really wanted to play this summer, and one I was going to hard-pass on account of the DRM.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 14, 2021, 9:40:33 AM

One thing bummers me though. They removed Denuvo but didn't drop the prices:

It's expensive everywhere, and it will stimulate piracy since protection is gone now.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 14, 2021, 1:22:39 PM
Sublustris wrote:

One thing bummers me though. They removed Denuvo but didn't drop the prices:

It's expensive everywhere, and it will stimulate piracy since protection is gone now.

I do not find that surprising.  The presence/absence of Denuvo doesn't seem to directly affect the price of any game.

Now if you're commenting on the price of the game in general being higher than Amplitude's other games, then that topic is completely unrelated to Denuvo.  Amplitude is entitled to sell the game for however much they want.  The notion that cheap games don't get pirated is not true.  For example, Sonic Mania and Yesterday Origins are cheaper Denuvo titles, and both were cracked very soon after release.  So if Humankind was cheaper, it would still be cracked and pirated.  History has shown us that piracy is something will almost always happen, and there's nothing that any game or DRM developer can do to stop it.  So the dev's focus should always be on providing a great experience for their paying customers and not on combating non-customer pirates.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 14, 2021, 5:12:17 PM
SpikedWallMan wrote:
The notion that cheap games don't get pirated is not true.

Don't deal in absolutes, notion is that expensive games are more prone to be pirated. It can be cracked day one, it can be cracked in 180 days, but a person that wants to play now will be more inclined to pirate then wait who knows how long for 30-50% discount to reach price he can afford or seems acceptable to him.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 14, 2021, 5:45:55 PM
Sublustris wrote:
Don't deal in absolutes

You made the assertion that lowering the price will reduce piracy, and I simply provided counterexamples which show that dropping the price of this game even to 1/2 or 1/3 of its current price won't be enough to make it less interesting to pirates. 

Sublustris wrote:

notion is that expensive games are more prone to be pirated.

Expensive games very often get more advertising because they usually have lots of money backing them.  So of course they will be bigger targets due to their visibility/reputation/etc, and I don't see where it's solely the price that is driving piracy in this case.

Sublustris wrote:

It can be cracked day one, it can be cracked in 180 days, but a person that wants to play now will be more inclined to pirate then wait who knows how long for 30-50% discount to reach price he can afford or seems acceptable to him.

Anyone who wants to play/pirate now but doesn't want to pay is a non-customer.

Regardless, if there is a discussion to be had about the price of Humankind, I believe that discussion would be better if it was moved to a new topic instead of hijacking this one.  (IIRC, there is already a topic discussing the price somewhere.)  Otherwise, it looks like the Denuvo issue is dead and buried (with Amplitude making a pro-customer choice here), and I vote that this topic be closed so it doesn't keep cluttering the G2G activity feed.
Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 15, 2021, 7:40:03 AM
SpikedWallMan wrote:
I simply provided counterexamples which show that dropping the price of this game even to 1/2 or 1/3 of its current price won't be enough to make it less interesting to pirates.

You didn't, you've stated it will still be pirated, which is obvious, but you didn't argue anything about interest rate. Yeah, it'll still be there. But will it change? I assert it will.

SpikedWallMan wrote:
I don't see where it's solely the price that is driving piracy in this case

Not solely, of course, but a major factor nonetheless.

SpikedWallMan wrote:
Anyone who wants to play/pirate now but doesn't want to pay is a non-customer.

Now that's just silly, would you pay $600 for the game, or would you not want to play it solely because of the unreasonably high price? 

SpikedWallMan wrote:
instead of hijacking this one.

I believe this to be related and valid issue, hijacking isn't at place.

SpikedWallMan wrote:
so it doesn't keep cluttering the G2G activity feed

Unsubscribe from the thread, if it bothers you that much.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message