Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Not enough oil

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 9:39:17 AM

I'm wondering if this is a bug or I'm missing something. I've explored all of the map except for a bar about four or five tiles wide across the top of the map in the ocean and can only find one oil supply. I went to war and got that oil thinking it would be enough but of course I need more to do further space missions. Is it that there's possible more oil in the ocean? Or is this possibly a bug others have encountered?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 9:51:07 AM

Murrica!!!

But on a serious note, I've found 1 maybe 2 deposits on tiny maps, I haven't seen enough oil on tiny or small maps, it could just be me though, on normal size with 6 players there seems to be enough to do everything in the tech tree, you'll have to fight/trade to control enough deposits, I recommend eating the opponents, but that could be old endless space habits kicking in.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 5:04:24 PM

Lol yeah big Murrica vibes in that war I had. Maybe I'm unlucky then. It's a normal map, six players, and there's literally one oil resource on the three major continents. I guess I sail and maybe it's on a little chunk of land way up north, if that.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 6:34:30 PM

Yeah, I have the same problem. There is only 2 oil on the whole map (6 players). Hard to build alot of the units and buildings. Think they need to make some changes.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 7:54:18 PM
lord_bill wrote:

Yeah, I have the same problem. There is only 2 oil on the whole map (6 players). Hard to build alot of the units and buildings. Think they need to make some changes.

Agreed. I get that limited resources creates conflict and I really like the idea. However when there's only 2 oil on the map (I've built all satellites and can see everything, and there's only 2 oil) and the Mars mission requires 3 oil, that's hugely frustrating. It shouldn't be possible to spawn a map with too few resources to do something, especially when it's a game-ender. There's no way for me to know this either until near the end of my campaign due to resources being hidden until later ages.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 9:17:17 PM

I had the same issue on a map I played. I reported it as a bug since it seems apparent to me that regardless of the map size you should be able to do all the things.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 10:23:07 PM

I've say this as I did the steam forums.

I've been playing huge mode, and I've conquered 75% of my main continent, and fully colonized another, not one drop of oil spotted, plenty of coal, aluminum, bronze, and iron, and lucky 1 spat of uranium... but not a single dot of oil.

I end up finding 1 spat of oil, on the southern part of my map, right next to... get this... another uranium deposit! ON A ISLAND!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 10:42:26 PM
darkedone02 wrote:

I end up finding 1 spat of oil, on the southern part of my map, right next to... get this... another uranium deposit! ON A ISLAND!

Lol I had the same on a north island. And to make matters worse, I found it literally as my AI ally built an outpost on it the next turn. My ally who was still an era away from even knowing what oil was. Back to war I went...

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 10:51:08 PM

Same issue, normal map, 6 players, only one oil spawned anywhere in the world, was never able to build a single oil unit as I was already in the last era and it was my allies unimproved oil. Kind of a massive issue for me considering just how much of late game is locked out without oil. It's cool to have resource scarcity, but there should be more than 3 spawns on the map, not 1. Just doesn't lead to interesting gameplay when so much requires it.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 11:19:47 PM

I have played 5 games on large over the last week, seems fairly stable at around 5-6 across the board normally in the ice somewhere. Now when a heavy tank needs 3 thats a big ask but exactly what they want. Civ did the same and now they have allowed more oil in Civ the game is like the rest of the game. You need more challenges late game (some late game challenge)

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 11:21:08 PM
friendliestfire wrote:

Same issue, normal map, 6 players, only one oil spawned anywhere in the world, was never able to build a single oil unit as I was already in the last era and it was my allies unimproved oil. Kind of a massive issue for me considering just how much of late game is locked out without oil. It's cool to have resource scarcity, but there should be more than 3 spawns on the map, not 1. Just doesn't lead to interesting gameplay when so much requires it.

To build on this, when it's in an ally's territory and they haven't/aren't close to developing it, it sucks to have to either forego a bunch of tech or betray your alliance and take it from them. At least as a merchant you can invest in someone else's luxury resource but I saw no such alternative for strategics.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 11:36:48 PM
Victoria842 wrote:

I have played 5 games on large over the last week, seems fairly stable at around 5-6 across the board normally in the ice somewhere. Now when a heavy tank needs 3 thats a big ask but exactly what they want. Civ did the same and now they have allowed more oil in Civ the game is like the rest of the game. You need more challenges late game (some late game challenge)

Don't think you're really reading the situation here, my game had a total of one oil, anywhere. 5-6 or sounds great in comparison.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 12:37:17 AM
friendliestfire wrote:

ONE oil - luxury, sheer luxury - I didn't even get one - not one on the whole map :( Huge map here.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 11:17:54 AM

I have the same issue with horses. I couldnt see any. Then I discovered one eventually it just appeared out of the fog of war. Does this mean there might be others that I havent found? Because all of the other resources have clear icons showing their locations, whether discovered or not. But either way one lot of horses is not going to be enough for a decent game. You would have thought these things would have been play tested well before release ....

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 11:25:26 AM

They definitely need to make sure every map has at least 3 of all strategic resources. (Every continent with 2 or more players should probably have at least 2 of the early resources…Bronze/Horse/Iron)

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 11:39:09 AM

I have the same issue but with Aluminium. For a basic nuclear missile you need 3. As far as I can tell the huge map I am on has 5. 
The dev team insinuated they wanted to create a cold war vibe with the mutually assured destruction. But with 5 that's just outright not possible. I'm not going to trade Aluminium with my enemies and they don't trade it with me either. Result: One of us will eventually end up with 3, making it impossible for the other side to get the nukes.

I get that they want to make people want to trade but this is just a bit ridiculous. On the other side there are way more luxury resources than one would ever need. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 1:56:07 PM

I have not found one source of oil on my map.. it sucks to be playing for hours and then discovering you will never be able to build any planes or artillery :(

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 2:38:12 PM

Can someone help - I was a merchant culture, but I couldn't improve a independent or an ally's resources. It said something was already built on it, but I had full visibility and nothing was.

But also agreeing about the oil and lack of certain resources. For some luxuries, there can be up to 8 or so, but I haven't seen much oil. I'm trying a huge map now, and there's probably less than 5? resources still hidden so I'm afraid there either won't be enough oil, aluminum or nuclear.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 23, 2021, 12:59:18 AM

second time playing on the largest map size and not a single oil spawns anywhere on the map... I would like to try late game units but ???

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 23, 2021, 7:57:42 PM

Strange... just finished a Large map and there was enough of everything... not plenty, enough. I think the dev's idea is to encourage either trade OR conquest, so if you play the diplo game you can get the needed resources, and if you play the conquest game, then, well...

Small sample though; cannot state that it voids other's bad experiences with strats.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message