Hello everyone,

We have put together a short list of frequently asked questions about Humankind. While we will almost certainly expand this list in the future, we hope you will already find some useful answers here.

Gameplay: Cities 

How can I raze a city, e.g. one recently conquered from another empire? 

Cities can be razed by using the “Ransack” action of your armies on their Main Plaza. This can be done with cities under your control, even occupied cities. 

How can I reduce the number of cities under my control if I am above the limit but cannot merge cities? 

If you need to reduce the number of cities under your control without merging two cities, you can either raze the city (see above), or open the City List and “Liberate” one or more of your cities to become Independent People. 

Gameplay: Religion 

How does religion spread? 

If you have a state religion, each territory will generate Faith based on the dominant religion as well as Districts and Infrastructures in it. This Faith spreads to other territories, at full strength for adjacent territories, but at lower effect as distance increases. All Faith in a territory, both from local sources or spread from other territories, is added up, and if a significant portion of this faith belongs to a faith other than the currently dominant faith, a conversion will start over the course of several turns. 

How can I adopt a historic religion and change the appearance of my Holy Sites? 

When you select a new Tenet for your religion, but before you confirm your choice, the name of your religion will display a dropdown menu from which you can select one of the historic religions available in game. This will change the appearance of future holy sites, and you may receive narrative events specific to this religion. 

Gameplay: Armies and Battles 

How do I reinforce battles with another army? 

To use multiple armies in the same battle, you first need to research the ability to use reinforcements through the Organized Warfare technology. Once this has been researched, any of your armies within the battle area can join the battle. If they are within your deployment zone during the deployment phase, they can deploy alongside the army that started the battle. Otherwise, they can be deployed during your turn by using the + sign above their position or in the reinforcement tab of the army panel. 

How can I move land units across water? 

To move land units across water, you will first need to research a Naval Transport unit. These are available on the Trade Expeditions, Three-Masted Ship, and Amphibious Warfare Technologies. (Some Cultures may receive additional Naval Transport units available through other technologies.) Once you have unlocked a Naval Transport, you can order your Land Units to enter a water tile. This will consume all of their movement and transform them into a transport ship until you re-enter a land tile. 

How can I use train stations to move units quickly? 

Train stations in adjacent territories will be connected by rails, and your units will automatically use them to move between the Train Stations at a cost of one movement point per territory. 

How do I move units by airplane? 

When you place your army on your Airport (military Aerodromes do not work), a “Use Airport” button will appear in the army panel. Clicking this button will allow you to select any other Airport you own as a target tile, which allows you to move the army instantly at a cost of just one movement point. However, you must have access to at least 1 Oil to use this ability. 

I just finished a war, and now I cannot move the armies still in enemy territory. How can I save them? 

Your armies are currently trespassing, and you cannot order them to another tile on which they would be trespassing. You need to order them to a location you are allowed to enter, like unclaimed territory or your own territory. 

Gameplay: Diplomacy, Trade, Grievances, Demands, and War Resolution 

How do I gain territories in a war? 

To gain territories in a war, you need to reduce the opposing empire to 0 War Support first. Once you do, you can demand territories in the Surrender terms screen, spending your War Score on them accordingly. However, territories must be either unattached outposts, or part of a city you are currently occupying, for you to demand them during the surrender. (Note: Currently, the tooltip on territory demands is bugged and switches the names of the empires.) 

How can I customize the AI opponents in the New Game Lobby? 

You can change the color, icon, and persona assigned to each AI player by clicking on the round icon on their portrait. 

How can I unlock Influencer Personas? 

Influencer Personas are unlocked through Twitch drops when they play Humankind on their respective channels, and occasionally on the Amplitude twitch channel. To earn Twitch drops, you need to connect your Twitch and Games2Gether accounts first, which can be done from your Games2Gether Account settings. 

How can I use Influencer Personas in game? 

Influencer Personas can be used only as AI opponents: only the Influencers themselves can use them for their avatars. Once you have earned an Influencer Persona as a twitch drop, make sure you are logged into your Games2Gether account in game to access them. You can see a list of available avatars by clicking on the round button with the three sliders on their portrait.