Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Feature Request: "Abandon City"

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Sep 13, 2021, 6:01:14 PM

So you've taken on a city that you don't want because it's in a territory you do.  Maybe it was the spoils of war, or maybe it was an Independent Peoples with prime real estate (or who you wanted to keep out of the hands of your neighbour).  You want to absorb it into a neighbouring city, but that 7k-11k could be better spent on, well, everything.  The workaround is to ransack your own city centre and build an outpost on its ruins, but that's a weird workaround.

So why not introduce a new feature to Abandon that city?

1. Main plaza and administrative centres reduced to outposts
  2. Districts become nonfunctional (as though the centre were ransacked), and may fall to ruins over following turns
  3. The city's infrastructure is lost.  Yes, that's the cost to abandoning the city instead of merging.
  4. A limited amount of population (6 or so max?) is redistributed to nearby territories, like a reverse "Greener Pastures" Agrarian ability.  (If the city was seized through conquest and then abandoned, most of the citizens return to their home empire's cities)

And you're left with territory you control that isn't a city anymore, ready to be attached to existing cities for a reasonable price.  We get the territory we want without needing to balance infrastructure and population against a prohibitive amount of influence.  We can ransack a city anyways, so why not make this solution more elegant?
Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 13, 2021, 6:03:17 PM

Checks and balances should exist to make sure this isn't abused to deny invaders a juicy city at the 11th hour: Abandonning a city could take several turns, can't be done under siege, or have other reasonable restrictions.

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 14, 2021, 2:24:14 PM

I agree, this is very much needed.

Also, I agree that some wartime balance is needed. Possibly, it should not function while ate war.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 14, 2021, 3:39:27 PM
Bankipriel wrote:

Also, I agree that some wartime balance is needed. Possibly, it should not function while ate war.

The only time I think it should be stopped is in the middle of a siege, maybe if there are enemy units in the territory. (right now you can ransack the city in 1 turn outside of a siege)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 14, 2021, 11:58:05 PM

Another reason why this feature is very much needed: the AI doesn't know the ransack-rebuild trick so when they get many cities thru conquest and end up way over cap they get crippled with -5000 influence per turn. Adding this feature and let the AI use it in those situations would increase AI competitiveness which is very much needed

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 15, 2021, 11:36:55 AM
Bankipriel wrote:

It could be use as a scorched earth strategy, it was pretty effective against Napoleon, so why not

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 15, 2021, 1:03:12 PM

Super idea! I was looking for this since the game release. It feels wired that a feature like this one was not included in the base game. Hope this will be transformed in a base game mechanics!!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 15, 2021, 3:15:33 PM
Yeah, this is in line with how EL/ES2 had a raze function, and it'd mean I don't have to prioritize pillaging enemy cities/administrative centres during the war because I'm unhappy with their placement for when I finally take over
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 15, 2021, 9:22:01 PM

Too powerful, I disagree with this suggestion.  You've basically just said - make it WAY more advantageous to capture cities without thinking about the strategy.  For one, population should NOT be distributed.  Since population is the cost of raising an army this is WAY too powerful. There already is an option which incurs a correctly difficult penalty for making this strategic decision - ransack it.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 21, 2021, 9:41:53 PM

I agree with the this, ransacking and rebuilding  is way too complicated and feels like a no needed feature, it gives nothing to gameplay, so +1 to this idea of downgrade

0Send private message
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jun 3, 2022, 2:32:27 PM
RedSirus wrote:

[...]

1. The city's infrastructure is lost.  Yes, that's the cost to abandoning the city instead of merging. [...]

I'm unsure if this is that much of a cost in the end. If your intent is to merge the abandoned territory with a city, it will have all the infrastructure of the city you are merging it with, so I don't think anyone would care that the original infrastructure of the abandoned city is lost. It would be lost anyway if you were to merge them without abandoning (unless the newly captured city had more infrastructure than yours). Otherwise I think it's a great idea and a very nice way to make something that's already happening less jarring and more inmersive.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jun 5, 2022, 1:38:11 AM
Morgawr wrote:

Another reason why this feature is very much needed: the AI doesn't know the ransack-rebuild trick so when they get many cities thru conquest and end up way over cap they get crippled with -5000 influence per turn. Adding this feature and let the AI use it in those situations would increase AI competitiveness which is very much needed

Agree that the current situation is a real handicap to the AI.

Also, have you noticed that when you capture enemy cities during a war, sometimes they will upgrade their outpost to a city. That's another thing that can put them over the cap when the war is over (if you don't take their cities)

And to the OP, the one part I disagree with is turning districts to ruins. I think RUINS should be eliminated from the game. They add nothing but an annoyance. They serve no purpose except to mess up the exploitation mechanic.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jun 7, 2022, 6:43:16 PM
Oddible wrote:

Too powerful, I disagree with this suggestion.  You've basically just said - make it WAY more advantageous to capture cities without thinking about the strategy.  For one, population should NOT be distributed.  Since population is the cost of raising an army this is WAY too powerful. There already is an option which incurs a correctly difficult penalty for making this strategic decision - ransack it.

I don't see why this would not "require thinking about the strategy" to be honest.  Depending on the situation, you may not get but 1 or 2 population from a city of 15+ people if it's not near your territory.  Also, as others have mentioned -- the A.I. is not capable of calculating a ransack, so adding this sort of feature would allow the A.I. to play more competitively -- which is needed FOR sure. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message