Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Uhhh, I think Turkey is busted

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Oct 16, 2021, 10:32:26 PM

1 Public school surrounded by research quarters can give you over 1k science? Why?

The +300% research per research quarter adjacent is ridiculous. Way higher than what the other science cultures get in the last era honestly and I am not sure why.
It'd make more sense if the district gave less, but was very spammable/cheap, rather than 1 public school being better than multiple research quarters...
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 17, 2021, 9:52:44 AM

I honestly think it's fine, 1K research from just 1 district is op, but only if you look at it without the requirements. Because you do need to have 7 other districts to take advantage of it.  And additionally in the contemporary era both of the science cultures can put their cities in collective minds to get probably around 4k Science in my experience and that's without taking into account their district and trait bonuses. Considering the Era, it's absolutely fine. I would actually love to see more food cultures get a similar treatment and get other bonuses. Since food becomes useless around the early modern era. Or maybe add a mechanic that lets you transform food into something else.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 17, 2021, 1:32:22 PM

I suspect this is a bug in the math which lead to bug in description.

It would make a lot more sense if the bonus was 

Receive +300% Science from adjacent Science Research quarters

instead of the current

+300% Science per adjacent Science Research Quarter

Looks to me like the formula is

(Adjacency from all quarters + other bonuses ) * Number of research quarters adjacent * 3

The formula should probably be the following as it already triples the value of each adjacency quarter

(Adjacency from all quarters)  * 3 + other bonuses

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 17, 2021, 2:06:38 PM
SmileyD wrote:

I honestly think it's fine, 1K research from just 1 district is op, but only if you look at it without the requirements. Because you do need to have 7 other districts to take advantage of it.  And additionally in the contemporary era both of the science cultures can put their cities in collective minds to get probably around 4k Science in my experience and that's without taking into account their district and trait bonuses. Considering the Era, it's absolutely fine. I would actually love to see more food cultures get a similar treatment and get other bonuses. Since food becomes useless around the early modern era. Or maybe add a mechanic that lets you transform food into something else.

The problem is even with 3-4 quarters it's really strong and you WILL inevitably already have some set up from prior eras since. It's also just not very thematically fitting. I know public schools are great, but for them to give so much research its odd.

Here's an idea - remake it to be a hybrid district that gives adjacency to any nearby district instead. Makers, farmers, markets, research, doesn't matter, public school improves them all. Would be a lot more thematic and fitting imho.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Oct 17, 2021, 8:48:39 PM
StorytellerDave wrote:
SmileyD wrote:

I honestly think it's fine, 1K research from just 1 district is op, but only if you look at it without the requirements. Because you do need to have 7 other districts to take advantage of it.  And additionally in the contemporary era both of the science cultures can put their cities in collective minds to get probably around 4k Science in my experience and that's without taking into account their district and trait bonuses. Considering the Era, it's absolutely fine. I would actually love to see more food cultures get a similar treatment and get other bonuses. Since food becomes useless around the early modern era. Or maybe add a mechanic that lets you transform food into something else.

The problem is even with 3-4 quarters it's really strong and you WILL inevitably already have some set up from prior eras since. It's also just not very thematically fitting. I know public schools are great, but for them to give so much research its odd.

Here's an idea - remake it to be a hybrid district that gives adjacency to any nearby district instead. Makers, farmers, markets, research, doesn't matter, public school improves them all. Would be a lot more thematic and fitting imho.

Yeah that sound pretty neat as well and they can make it even more unique and make it count as everything as far as bonuses go. However i still think the numbers are fine, because i find their legacy trait to be quite weak, it's literary the same bonus as you would get from the Neolithic era legacy trait. I do like the change you suggested, but i think it's really not op, but still pretty good. Since again its the final era, you want to see some ridiculous stuff.

0Send private message
10 months ago
Jun 14, 2023, 4:42:42 PM

I see this is an old thread, but I'd still be interested in doing a bumpp - to offer the following proposals:

One suggestion you proposed is to remake the public school district as a hybrid district that provides adjacency bonuses for any nearby district, including producers, farmers, markets and research. This would make it more thematic and more appropriate in the context of the game. It could also add more strategic depth and flexibility to city planning.

SmileyD, raised a valid point that the current setup requires having several other districts to fully utilize the bonus. However, you mentioned that even with 3-4 quarters, it remains quite strong. Additionally, you expressed that thematically, it feels odd for public schools to provide such a significant research boost. 

Another idea could be balancing the numbers and making adjustments to the bonus offered by the public school district. That way, it can still provide a noticeable benefit without overshadowing other districts or being too strong.

Besides, with the help of this source https://phdessay.com/essay-type/informative/ I made an informative writing, referring to the given problem, from where I deduced this information I wrote above.

Updated 10 months ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message