Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

You can reach Mars with just 14 technologies (well more realistically in 16)

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 12:19:13 PM

Taken from my science math thread.

The shortest tech path that give rocket science which is needed to get build the Mars Colony is just 14 techs

Mars colony also require uranium in addition to oil and aluminium (who are unlocked by this tech path), unlocking uranium only need two more techs are research institute have no prerequisite at all except being in contemporary era. This mean in 16 techs you can reach Mars, in 14 if you can purchase Uranium.

And while this may not be possible in a real game or not optimal, it is quite telling that you only need 14 or 16 of the 92 techs in the game, or 15% to 17% of the tech tree completed to do something we have not managed to do yet in real life. You only need 3 or 5 out of 30 contemporary technologies to reach Mars. Like think about what you don't need to reach Mars in this game:

• No communication technology beyond priting press
  • No metal technology at all
  • No electricty
And this  is just some examples.

The tech cost is for these 14 technologies are less than 100k with the increase taken account for. It is more like 120k-130k with uranium techs.

The industry cost of the space program is not that much, 67500 I think on standard speed for all 3 projects.

Seems to me a bit easy to reach Mars right now, neither that much tech nor industry demand to be honest.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 12:26:46 PM
Arphenix wrote:

Cool extension of this study ! 

Some people wanted me to actually do things with the math I post.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 2:13:31 PM

The prerequisites for technologies are weird in this game. You can't build Steam Engines without Steel IRL, yet it is NOT a prerequisite for it in the game.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 2:39:08 PM

The tech tree would be helped a lot by

1. a Steeper increase in cost through the Eras

2. "Free Techs" for the laggars (or the people who bypassed things)

What I would suggest

Classical 50% more expensive

Medieval 2x

Early Modern 3x

Industrial 5x

Contemporary (not the Final) 7x

Final techs 12x

Then, whenever a civ has any influence pressure in your territories [not full sphere of influence, just some pressure], every turn you get +1 "Osmosis Point" on each tech they have but you don't. (increased to +2 if you are allies and +5 if you have the Scientific Agreement)

Whenever 2 or more Techs have the 100+ "Osmosis Points" you get to choose which one you get for free (it does not count for your science Era Stars because you didn't research it).  The Other Techs at 100+ points lose 1/2 their Osmosis Points.

This way. Researching Tech is expensive, but you only have to research the techs you want right now, you'll get the rest later from your neighbors.. beelining is good but going to far ahead will take way too long (you will need the food/stability/production boosts to build up the researchers+ research Quarters in the meantime).

[You could also get 1 free Osmosis point per turn on every tech that is two eras behind your current highest tech... so if you have a Medieval tech like Theology, you will slowly start to gain all the Ancient Techs you don't already have]

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 3:20:55 PM

It is funny that things such as rethoric or theology is needed to reach Mars but not things such as steel or computers.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 4:46:39 PM
Goodluck wrote:

And while this may not be possible in a real game or not optimal, it is quite telling that you only need 14 or 16 of the 92 techs in the game, or 15% to 17% of the tech tree completed to do something we have not managed to do yet in real life. You only need 3 or 5 out of 30 contemporary technologies to reach Mars. Like think about what you don't need to reach Mars in this game:

• No electricty

I am interested in the concept eluded here of certain high end Technology requiring prerequisites of your empire knowing how to use Electricity, metallurgy, and high speed communication. Although, I can't yet imagine how that could be implemented in the user interface in a simple manner.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 6:03:18 PM
Changlini wrote:
Goodluck wrote:

• No electricty

I am interested in the concept eluded here of certain high end Technology requiring prerequisites of your empire knowing how to use Electricity, metallurgy, and high speed communication. Although, I can't yet imagine how that could be implemented in the user interface in a simple manner.

It could be like civ, previous tech would have prerequisites to the point that you can't research some techs without fundamental previous techs, sort of like a chain of prerequisites that add up.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 6:31:09 PM
Sjru wrote:
It could be like civ, previous tech would have prerequisites to the point that you can't research some techs without fundamental previous techs, sort of like a chain of prerequisites that add up.

Maybe. I'm leaning towards the idea of having certain technology eras restricted behind pre-requisites. 

So, say, being able to research technologies in the contemporary era requires your nation to have already researched: Steam Engine, Combustion Engine, Mechanization, Electricity, and wireless Topography.  

Then, if we want to apply this form of requirement to certain technologies, like nukes; then we can make Research Institute require Scientific theory, while Uranium enrichment requires Combustion Engines, and Nuclear Fission requires both Steam engines and computing.

My problem with this, is figuring out how to not make it look messy on the technology screen, as those requirements already are going to make the lines go all over the place. Maybe have those technologies and Eras have a few circles that represent how many technologies are needed to fill the prerequisite--while also having the priority technologies has a special text or symbol?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 7:19:38 PM
Changlini wrote:

My problem with this, is figuring out how to not make it look messy on the technology screen, as those requirements already are going to make the lines go all over the place. Maybe have those technologies and Eras have a few circles that represent how many technologies are needed to fill the prerequisite--while also having the priority technologies has a special text or symbol?

Perhaps something like this? (Disclaimer I'm no designer nor artist and I'm sure something better could be done).

Hovering over the tech circle would show the tech requirement, first greyed out before researching and lighting up like they do when researched.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 7:38:14 PM
Arkalis wrote:
Perhaps something like this? (Disclaimer I'm no designer nor artist and I'm sure something better could be done).

Hovering over the tech circle would show the tech requirement, first greyed out before researching and lighting up like they do when researched.

If a tooltip pops up when the mouse is hovered over those circles, explaining "Electricity is required for your empire to have the industrial capacity to research [Technology]", then I think this is an excellent example of what I'm invisioning. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 29, 2021, 7:55:11 PM
Changlini wrote:

If a tooltip pops up when the mouse is hovered over those circles, explaining "Electricity is required for your empire to have the industrial capacity to research [Technology]", then I think this is an excellent example of what I'm invisioning. 

Yes, the tooltip would explain that it has a requisite and what it is but I thought it would be the other way around (using Electricity here for the example wasn't ideal). Instead tech requirements appear as circles within the tech. So to follow your proposal replace Electricity with, say, Uranium Enrichment and the required tech of Combustion Engine would appear as a circle.

It's a matter of presentation of course, but the fundamental idea I agree with, about having more prerequisites for certain techs that aren't displayed in the tech tree through lines because it would become too messy to display.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 30, 2021, 12:47:44 PM

Just making research institute have a prerequest in industrial era may impact the number of techs needed by quite alot.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message