Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Option to not expand city walls

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
May 8, 2022, 8:00:18 AM

Proposal: add a tickbox to not update the position of walls when a new district is built.

Reasoning: I Always like to build my cities in nice elevated and defensible positions. This helps a lot to defend to early AI aggresion. 

The problem is that sometimes you need to expand into lower terrains to exploit better yields. This necessarily means to give up the defensible position. In this cases i would like to not expand walls so that the core of the city is still protected. Having houses outside of city walls is also realistic.

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 8, 2022, 4:27:02 PM

I agree, this would also increase the amount of tile that can be ransacked, giving a bigger window of opportunity to certain tactics

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 8, 2022, 7:05:18 PM

Would help alot; I've found that giant walls, especially the ones created by merging the main city into an administrative center, just leave gaps in your defenses.

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 8, 2022, 9:35:14 PM

I also agree.  I'd also love if the older, historical walls remained into the industrial and modern eras.  Just because I've researched chainlink fences doesn't mean I'm willing to tear down those gorgeous 15-foot-deep bastions that kept cannons out. ;P

- This could be done where city walls are a Ceremony/Repeatable instead of Infrastructure, so that every time you completed the project, your walls expanded to fit the current main city's borders.

- Alternately, building fortifications on a city tile could be a tile-based buildable, like adding Forests to undeveloped tiles.  This could let you gradually expand the city walls as needed.  The cost of fortifying could be higher when fortifying tiles not already adjacent to fortifications, or tile-based fortifying could even require fortifications to be built only adjacent to existing fortifications.  That could encourage you to build garrisons in/near parts of cities to make them more defensible, especially in distant territories controlled by administrative centres.

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 9, 2022, 11:38:52 AM

It would be a really nice addition. But not sure how easy could be implemented but we will take a look (I make no promises)

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 9, 2022, 2:40:34 PM
Daarkarrow wrote:

It would be a really nice addition. But not sure how easy could be implemented but we will take a look (I make no promises)

Thanks for the response, have a great day!

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 9, 2022, 4:54:28 PM
Daarkarrow wrote:

Thank you :)

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 9, 2022, 5:06:44 PM

It does sound like a great idea and historical.

Would it be possible to code it by putting a tick box of wall/no wall when you build each district? I assume the wall is applied to the full city and not the districts, so probably not possible. I wonder if there's any other way to keep the walls condensed - for example, ancient/classical walls within 2 tiles of city center; medieval within 3 and early modern within 4? That doesn't solve the OPs problem though.

0Send private message
2 years ago
May 10, 2022, 9:10:01 AM

There are several ways how you can play with this:

- make building walls tile based as a project, with separate costs. Which means the infrastructure Palisade, Stone Walls etc. changes to a repeatable (difficulty is what happens if you tech a new wall level, auto update? manual? Manual would in the later eras still have some resemblance of old city parts, which if it can be visually shown, would increase the beautification of your city ;))

- have the walls tied to pops. each x pops a tile can be fortified (either it happens automatically or by players choice)

- maybe have the walls not tile based all around but for each side separate. Like drawing a line on the tile seams for building a wall. This way, you could build something like the chinese wall since it does not need to be tied to the city tiles. But this requires probably a lot more code since the game/combat needs to identify attack/move direction if a side of a tile has a wall segment or not. (Personally, I would like to have this :))

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
May 10, 2022, 10:58:44 AM

I can see this being useful, but the ways to implement it seem like it would be great for very specific, defensive cities for early eras before they spill over multiple territories and then tedious annoyance to manage in every other case.

0Send private message
10 months ago
Jul 12, 2023, 8:48:34 AM
lbasil wrote:

Proposal: add a tickbox to not update the position of walls when a new district is built.

Reasoning: I Always like to build my cities in nice elevated and defensible positions. This helps a lot to defend to early AI aggresion. 

The problem is that sometimes you need to expand into lower terrains to exploit better yields. This necessarily means to give up the defensible position. In this cases i would like to not expand walls so that the core of the city is still protected. Having houses outside of city walls is also realistic.

https://mod.io/g/humankind/m/pause-wall-expansion

I just finished a mod that adds something like this. It's a bit clunky since you can't just draw wall borders but have to place a special district that caps off the wall from expanding further. Hope this helps. :)

Updated 10 months ago.
0Send private message
10 months ago
Jul 17, 2023, 10:20:11 AM
ineeddspelchek wrote:
lbasil wrote:

https://mod.io/g/humankind/m/pause-wall-expansion

I just finished a mod that adds something like this. It's a bit clunky since you can't just draw wall borders but have to place a special district that caps off the wall from expanding further. Hope this helps. :)

That's an interesting mod proposition

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message