logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

QoL: Locating and Traversing Revealed Resources Easily

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jul 19, 2022, 12:22:08 PM

Hi All,

I'm no professional on Trade, but I think in the Trade Window if you click on a Resource you get to see it on the map.

Why not have such a convenience for your own resources?

Or just resources on the map that you have revealed but no one owns yet?

Currently, every time I want to remember where a Resource is, I have to hopelessly scan the entire map.

In my opinion, there should be an easy way to locate and traverse resources:

1. Clicking a resource on the map, could show left and right arrows on both sides of the resource icon.
    Clicking these will move you to the next visible resource of that type.
    Optionally, some other icon, maybe a double fast-forward arrow, should take you to the next different resource type that has been discovered on the map.

I think the grouping of the resources could be Strategic first, then Luxury.
    Within Strategic: by era.
    Within Luxury: by FIMS, with an inner sorting by luxury effect in each FIMS group being the same.

There could also be an internal separation within each resource type into: Your Resources, Each Empire's Resources and Unclaimed Resources.
  2. Clicking on a resource icon in the upper right corner summary could take you to one of your own resources of that type.
    From there on, it could behave the same way with the arrows. Perhaps only on your resources.
  3. Same goes for clicking on resources in a city\outpost - it could take you to the resource location. Although this is less useful, unless you have a very big city.
  4. On a side note: I think the luxury resources icons in the top right corner should be displayed in 4X5 or 5X4 because there are 4 FIMS and 5 resources in each FIMS.
    Also, in this display, they could be sorted by FIMS and by Effect Type in each FIMS.
    The current display is cluttered: there are 3 resources in each row and different FIMS resources are displayed intermittently.

How do you feel about this issue?

Do you also struggle to find resources on the map?

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 19, 2022, 3:36:57 PM

Agreed; it should be much easier to find my domestic resources.  In Endless Legend, when you advanced to the next era and gained visibility on new resources, you received start-of-era notifications for every resource in your territory, so you'd know what you had and could plan to tech/extract them and where they were.  In Humankind, it feels like I'm occasionally finding Iron and Gunpowder I didn't know I had.  Regular "You Have Unextracted Resources" notifications would probably be helpful too.

vensa wrote:
On a side note: I think the luxury resources icons in the top right corner should be displayed in 4X5 or 5X4 because there are 4 FIMS and 5 resources in each FIMS.

I like this idea.  I know why they did it: To cut down on clutter in the early eras.  But it's going to get cluttered later on, so maybe a luxury grid does make sense from the start. (With the Culturally-available luxuries of Weapons, Salted Meat, Pharmaceuticals and future ones appearing below).

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 20, 2022, 5:57:20 AM

I also struggle to find strategic resources on the map :P

One of my earlier suggestions to this issue was to have a query option in game to find stuff on the map, similar to the query option in Civ 6. I also like the suggestion of clicking on any strategic resource icon in the top right going to the next visible node for that strategic resource.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message