Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Aquatic expansions

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Aug 29, 2019, 4:02:53 PM

Would it be possible to construct districts on the water in later eras besides the harbors, such as maybe high-end waterborne apartments (like in the city of Monaco), fish farms, tidal power plants, etc? It'd make the coasts useful for more than trade and military travel.

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 29, 2019, 7:16:08 PM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

Why stop there, go full alpha centauri and allow Ocean cities and ocean improvements

This would build up to that perhaps being a DLC, was my thought process.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 2:45:09 AM

could also be a mod

im sure there will be harbors and the like (cant have a historical 4x without navy)

but building floating cities? Maybe a bit too niche for basegame integration.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 3:41:26 AM

That's fair, it would be a neat addition for sure, but it makes more thematic sense when you are colonizing an alien planet with the best technology available.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 4:05:24 AM
HappyHead wrote:

could also be a mod

im sure there will be harbors and the like (cant have a historical 4x without navy)

but building floating cities? Maybe a bit too niche for basegame integration.

This is too big for a mod, and yes there's already harbors confirmed.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 4:06:36 AM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

That's fair, it would be a neat addition for sure, but it makes more thematic sense when you are colonizing an alien planet with the best technology available.

Yes, except the idea can be done on Earth, so why not do it before interplanetary colonization?

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 6:51:26 AM

If the game ends in the Modern Era, we can forget about ozean cities. But I would really like the idea to use your coastal area in more ways than you can usually do.

I just want some gameplay and more information... I hate it to be that hyped for a game, when it still takes about a year to release.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 30, 2019, 7:17:41 AM

They could go the EL Tempest expansion route and add some exploitable nodes on the water for oil platforms, fishing and other natural ressources. Also oceans could be regions like in Tempest and they could be claimed as territory.

The foundation is allready there.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 31, 2019, 2:12:46 PM

I think it doesn't make sense to have actual waterborne districts outside of ports and docks and all that, but what I do think could be cool is exploiting the ocean from the land, as well as disputes over it . Like how British fishing towns kinda died after the British lost the Cod wars. Imagine stuff like that in-game. And without physical structures (ignoring oil platforms which would come pretty late anyway) , territorial rights over water could be really dynamic.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 31, 2019, 2:27:20 PM
Sinnatio wrote:

I think it doesn't make sense to have actual waterborne districts outside of ports and docks and all that, but what I do think could be cool is exploiting the ocean from the land, as well as disputes over it . Like how British fishing towns kinda died after the British lost the Cod wars. Imagine stuff like that in-game. And without physical structures (ignoring oil platforms which would come pretty late anyway) , territorial rights over water could be really dynamic.

Such as a body of water a nation controls (like those in Tempest) giving buffs to coastal exploitations and harbor districts in adjacent cities?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 12, 2019, 12:37:16 PM

The problem is that we won't find many examples of ocean districts before modern times. So yeah, it's essentially harbours, since the seas were exploited by mobile boats, except for a few cultures that had floating fishing villages.

More recently though we could have more things, such as oil or wind platforms, aquacultures and such. The rest is too futuristic for a game ending in the modern era.

The thing is that in human history so far, the ocean isn't a place where you build things that don't move, it's a place for trade routes, exploration and exploitation. Fishing means sending people sometimes very far away to find fish, which is a very different way to produce food compared to farming for instance. I'm not sure it's worth representing through gameplay, but it is indeed quite dynamic even when it's not (just) about trade.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 14, 2019, 5:44:21 AM
Ezumiyr wrote:

Fishing means sending people sometimes very far away to find fish, which is a very different way to produce food compared to farming for instance.

Huh. That would be actually cool. We already know they have things like mammoths and other animals to hunt in the early game, wouldn't it be cool if fishing boats could see and engage in "combat" with schools of fish that gave the boat a resource that can be brought back to a port city to give a bonus in food? With later techs you could start hunting whales with greater ease. Since there is a limited pool of fish available and it only replenishes slowly, it can eventually lead to over fishing, and since it is a limited resource cultures could clash over "fishing rights".

Also, you could have smuggler units that have really weak combat strength but are both harder to see and can conduct "missions" upon reaching an enemy shore, mostly selling contrabrand that both decreases stability in the region and give you gold based on how low the stability alread is.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 14, 2019, 12:29:37 PM
Dinode wrote:
Ezumiyr wrote:

Fishing means sending people sometimes very far away to find fish, which is a very different way to produce food compared to farming for instance.

Huh. That would be actually cool. We already know they have things like mammoths and other animals to hunt in the early game, wouldn't it be cool if fishing boats could see and engage in "combat" with schools of fish that gave the boat a resource that can be brought back to a port city to give a bonus in food? With later techs you could start hunting whales with greater ease. Since there is a limited pool of fish available and it only replenishes slowly, it can eventually lead to over fishing, and since it is a limited resource cultures could clash over "fishing rights".

Also, you could have smuggler units that have really weak combat strength but are both harder to see and can conduct "missions" upon reaching an enemy shore, mostly selling contrabrand that both decreases stability in the region and give you gold based on how low the stability alread is.

Agreed about the ocean resources.  Like @Ezumiyr described, I've always disagreed with how the Civ series extends your influence over ocean tiles the same way it extends your influence over land tiles.  The Grand Banks off Newfoundland were one of the key resources drawing Europeans to North America, and were fished by multiple different countries simultaneously.  Many of the first European settlements in Canada were driven by a desire to avoid the long trip back and forth each year; some fisherman started setting up camps on land which eventually became their full time residences.  The city of St. John's, for example, started off that way.  If there are ocean resources in HK (fish, whales, etc.), then the ability to exploit them should be based on your ocean going technology.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 5:38:05 PM

In many 4X games, water tiles are useless, boring tiles since we humankind live on lands. Civ6 tried to improve this situation by water resource, improvements, and waterpark. For Endless Legand, it is tempest.

Personally my favorite solution is the one Civ: rising tide. The future technologies allow players to build cities on the seas, and sea resources are no less then land resources. By doing so the oceans becomes alive.

However we wont be able to see it in humankind unless amplitude creates a "future" in the coming dlc. (For certain, I will buy it when pre-order!)

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 5:39:55 PM
tomsonhagen wrote:

If the game ends in the Modern Era, we can forget about ozean cities. But I would really like the idea to use your coastal area in more ways than you can usually do.

I just want some gameplay and more information... I hate it to be that hyped for a game, when it still takes about a year to release.

No one love to wait lol

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 6:21:17 PM
Bigben wrote:

In many 4X games, water tiles are useless, boring tiles since we humankind live on lands. Civ6 tried to improve this situation by water resource, improvements, and waterpark. For Endless Legand, it is tempest.

Personally my favorite solution is the one Civ: rising tide. The future technologies allow players to build cities on the seas, and sea resources are no less then land resources. By doing so the oceans becomes alive.

However we wont be able to see it in humankind unless amplitude creates a "future" in the coming dlc. (For certain, I will buy it when pre-order!)

Well, maybe a "hypothetical" bunch of cultures could be added for a future era, if they're open to making the game partially sci-fi.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 6:50:42 PM
ImperatorTempus42 wrote:
Bigben wrote:

Well, maybe a "hypothetical" bunch of cultures could be added for a future era, if they're open to making the game partially sci-fi.

I believe their target "cut off" is 2020 to 2030.  So just enough into the future that "near possible" techs could be included, but presumably nothing too far fetched.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 8:53:51 PM
TravlingCanuck wrote:
ImperatorTempus42 wrote:
Bigben wrote:

I believe their target "cut off" is 2020 to 2030.  So just enough into the future that "near possible" techs could be included, but presumably nothing too far fetched.

Indeed it is, although the Dutch right now are making islands and IIRC are also pushing their coastline into the sea, which Civ: Beyond Earth's Rising Tide expansion based its aquatic cities on. So, the potential is there if we're talking a decade or two into the future, maybe.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message