Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

A pitch for two Native North American cultures

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Sep 11, 2019, 3:18:12 AM

So, given the Olmecs have been confirmed by Polygon's preview article on the game, I've since been considering what other Native American cultures could work besides simply the Inca, Aztecs, and Maya. As a result I've come up with two that can work as a trading medieval and possibly a diplomacy or cooperation-focused Early Modern culture: The Mississipians AKA Mound-builders of the southern and midwestern United States (the mounds, given around 8000 have been discovered so far, can be their special non-wonder district), with their capital as Cahokia (which is a historical site across the river from St Louis). The Mississipians are also the ancestors to at least a dozen known Native American tribes and nations, such as the Kansa, Alabama, Missouria, and quite a few others, several of which are still alive. As to in-game representation besides the mounds that revealed their existence, they were able to spread their culture far across what are today the American South and Midwest primarily through trade, with numerous urban centers composed of mounds and surrounded by suburban villages having been found by archaeologists from Florida to Missouri. So, their bonus as a culture can be trade-based, with mounds as a repeatable district acting as a bonus in a number of categories. (So far, according to archaeology, the mounds were used as foundations for homes, temples, and as cemetaries, as well as for trade and to establish superiority over smaller settlements.) The city of Cahokia was inhabited from the 11th century AD to the 14th, had over 120 confirmed mounds (hence why in my opinion restricting it to wonder status instead of district is a terrible idea), and is believed to have at once point been more populous than London in the same period, making Cahokia a metropolis of the Great Plains region.

The Early Modern one would be the Haudenosaunee, more commonly known in the US and Canada as the Iroquois/Five Nations, were a major power in the region of Ontario-Philadelphia for almost two full centuries, despite French and British conflict. It consisted of five, now six, allied nations based in the Great Lakes and New York areas sharing mostly the same language and culture, which also existed outside their confederation under the umbrella term "Iroquoian". As such, the tribes still exist and can be consulted as to their depiction in the game, and can suggest elements of their culture that can be referenced in-game, as the Celtic culture is referenced by the Druids event quest. Given their history, an in-game Iroquoian/Haudenosaunee culture could have a more diplomatic bonus given their cooperative nature, and their recorded assimilation of prisoners of war into their villages and culture in order to restore their numbers from those lost in combat. (Defeated units in-game could heal your infantry, perhaps?) The Haudenosaunee were established in either the 12th or 15th centuries, but were, as stated above, a major player in the 17th and 18th centuries' Anglo-French colonization of northeastern North America, making them a plausible Early Modern culture instead of Medieval.

I understand if this may be rather difficult to implement, but I hope at least one of these two cultures I've presented can one day be in Humankind. And, sorry about the relatively rough information, I'm relying on Wikipedia for much of this information.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this, and have a good day.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 11, 2019, 8:53:03 PM

Sounds interesting. What would be some options for earlier and later era civs in the same region, besides the USA? I'm actually wondering whether Mexico would be an appropriate culture for a later era? What about the Pueblo peoples, or the Inuit?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 12, 2019, 12:09:10 AM
Dinode wrote:

Sounds interesting. What would be some options for earlier and later era civs in the same region, besides the USA? I'm actually wondering whether Mexico would be an appropriate culture for a later era? What about the Pueblo peoples, or the Inuit?

That'll depend on if they have potential gameplay-appliable elements; Mexico in the first half of the 19th century was a capable opponent of the United States, so they could work as an Industrial culture for DLC of some sort. The Inuit could perhaps have a coastal food and arctic terrain bonus of some kind, or a unique unit that's a dogsled-using cavalry unit that performs best in tundra and arctic terrain. The Cree, Lakota/Dakota, and Shoshone come to mind, as do the Cherokee. However, I don't know much about South American native cultures besides the increasingly-referenced Inca and their mountainside terrace farms that still mark the Andes mountain range today.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 12, 2019, 12:23:01 PM

There are a lot of possibilities for american cultures, but I agree that Mound people and Iroquois are probably among the safest ones in Northern America. I would probably add the Pueblo and/or the Navajo who are rather well documented, and the Haïda who have a very distinct culture still alive today. But saying this there are also many others that come to mind... The hard part is really to make a choice.

The unique thing about Mound people I would say is prosperity, but not just through trade. Maybe a bonus to food or pop growth would represent their success in that area, especially since it was not a common thing for that time. This enabled them to build a complex society that wasn't as dependant on seasonal changes as their neighbours.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 12, 2019, 9:36:39 PM
Ezumiyr wrote:

The unique thing about Mound people I would say is prosperity, but not just through trade. Maybe a bonus to food or pop growth would represent their success in that area, especially since it was not a common thing for that time. This enabled them to build a complex society that wasn't as dependant on seasonal changes as their neighbours.

Yeah, that could work too; they'd be chosen for those who want tall new Medieval cities, I bet. And at the end of the announcement trailer (in that final group shot) there was, it turns out, an Iroquois-looking infantry unit holding guns, so they might be in the game already as an Early Modern culture.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 18, 2019, 11:33:27 PM

Love all of this, any ability to continue Native American cultures beyond the early ages is a welcome one.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 19, 2019, 12:12:58 AM
Xefjord wrote:

Love all of this, any ability to continue Native American cultures beyond the early ages is a welcome one.

Agreed! I've never been happy with Civ's natives always losing their uniqueness (units, mostly) once guns come around. And it looks like the Iroquois are an Early Modern culture already, as the trailer's final shot shows what looks a lot like a musket-holding unit in their traditional war dress, so they're around until the Industrial era so far. I don't know what they'll continue as besides modern American countries like the US, Mexico, etc, but Native Americans with their own guns is a great sign.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 2, 2020, 5:48:52 PM

The twitter feed mentioned the Zapotecs in their sneak peak of the Olmecs - I wonder, could they be in the game? It seems unlikely given that they aren't really mentioned much in popular media (and I personally had only heard of them, like, once before) but could they be in the game as a Mesoamerican alternative to the Mayans or Aztecs? They developed one of the first writing systems in the Americas, made finely crafted artifacts and jewelry, and built several settlements and monuments that still stand today. They also faced off against both the Aztec and the Spanish, and their inclusion could help show the complex politics of the region at the time of the arrival of Europeans.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 28, 2020, 8:03:49 PM

By watching carefully the video of the Gamescon 2019, we can see a couple of time this city with curvy wood houses and long houses of wood, typically Haudenosaunee style! (BTW, Haudenosaunee meens "People of the Longhouse"  so....)

0Send private message
0Send private message
4 years ago
Feb 28, 2020, 9:47:17 PM
Ananashi wrote:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but those are definitely Nordic longhouses.

Yeaps!! You're right! It's more viking than iroquois.. Nevertheless I hope to see them in the game .

0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 3, 2020, 1:30:16 AM

I was surprised that only 1 American culture made the initial cut while 2 separate mesopotamian and nilotic cultures are represented.

I would have expected a Caral/Norte Chico culture; that's the only cradle of civilization that didn't make the game. It's also the only continent not represented.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 3, 2020, 9:02:13 AM
pineappledan wrote:

It's also the only continent not represented.

Australia - is also a continent.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 3, 2020, 12:28:40 PM

Ok now every body is going to come with its hanfull of more or less obscur tribe.

Failed concept at its root.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 3, 2020, 6:14:30 PM
Shukfir wrote:
pineappledan wrote:

It's also the only continent not represented.

Australia - is also a continent.

Sure enough, but I'm not aware of a 'civilization' per se from Australia. The wider Oceania region however, is ripe for at least 1 addition. An Austronesian culture like the Sa Huynh from Vietnam or the Ifugao of the Philippines. Maybe even a Polynesian culture. That would at least give some more coverage. 

IMO, It's rather incredible that Babylonians, Assyrians, Phoenicians, Nubians, Myceneans, and Hittites are all in the game at once as the first cultural age. All of those cultures were cross-pollinating and trading with each other. Babylonian and Assyrian cultures are extremely similar to each other ethnically, linguistically, and culturally. Nubian and Egyptian cultures cross-pollinated to an enormous degree, such that it is hard to call them particularly distinct. Phoenician gods, language, and culture left a deep mark all over Greece. It's hard not to see this list as a bit... dissappointingly incestuous. If the game is really going to "Create your own civilization by combining 60 historical cultures from the Bronze to the Modern Age", then your starting cultures should probably not be 10%-25% similar to each other; they should be 0% similar to each other.

10 bronze age cultures are announced, but there could be more in expansions/later additions. 6 of them from the Mediterranean and 4 of them are from the Fertile Crescent alone. There are a total of 6 accepted 'cradles of civilization', and the Andean coast is the only one not represented at all:

Nilotic (Egypt & Nubia)

Mesopotamian (Babylon, Assyria)

Indus Valley (Harappa)

Yellow River (Yuan)

Mesoamerica (Olmec)

Andean Coast (?Caral?)

Meanwhile, the Levant (Phoenicia) and Anatolia (Hittite) are somehow there, but not a Northern European culture (eg. Celts or Slavs), and no Southeast Asian culture. There are also much younger civilizations like the Pacific Northwest (Tlingit, Haida, Salish, etc.) or the Mississipian culture which are far more culturally and geographically distinct that could round out the list.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Mar 3, 2020, 8:34:25 PM

Sure enough, but I'm not aware of a 'civilization' per se from Australia.

Could a people that has developped hunting/gathering, a very deep knowledge of semi arid climate, that had its own thrown weapons *, and specific "music" instruments ** , and painted its bodies, like picts or native americans, and many others, and especially some very deep mystic/dreamy view of the world, to the point of "creating" a world wonder... Uluru... And yes, one could call this people "aborigenes". Would this make a leggit "civilisation" in this game ? Or just because they lived like cavemen until the 19th century takes them ou of the race, despite their mystic and nature knowledge achievements ?

You don't necessarily need fantasy to bring magic into this world... 

I otherwise like your post Pineappledan, I think it brings very leggit points.

* boomerang

**didgeridoo

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message