Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

The most important design feature for me is tactical battles.

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Sep 20, 2019, 5:15:13 AM

I've played a lot of amplitude 4X games and I've loved them. I trust in Amplitude to make a good strategic layer, but the tactical combat in every one of Amplitude's games have been terrible. From the card games in Endless Space to the lacklustre turnbased combat in Endless Legend. Combat in these games are so boring that I find myself avoiding war entirely. Everything from the art design/lore to the strategic game mechanics are great in Amplitude's games, so I feel the easiest way to improve on these games is to make changes to the worst part and make combat actually satisfying to play.

I hope Amplitude takes a look at XCOM2 and, to an extent, Age of Wonders: Planetfall on ideas for how to make combat in the tactical layer really satisfying and visceral to play and also to look at. Its going to be difficult, I think, to balance the importance of the strategic layer and and tactical layer, and I don't envy Amplitude. If you make the strategic layer too important on the outcome of battles, tactics are useless and the only focus will be on producing units/researching better ones and players will ignore the tactical layer. Make the tactical layer too important and production doesnt matter and players will ignore their military in the strategic layer because they can win the tactical layer. I'm pretty hyped though and I hope to see good things from Amplitude!

In addition, I feel game mechanics in the tactical layer should have a much more impact on the player's experience than in the strategic one. It might feel fine to have a technology in the strategic layer that improves, say gold production by 10%, but its extremely boring to have tech that improves, say health of a unit by 10%, in the tactical layer. Often, these improvements feel meaningless because they don't effect any change in gameplay in the tactical layer. So what if your unit has a slightly better statistic? The player will still use the same tactica logic as they did before. Whereas changes in gameplay, say like a new ability/perk like in XCOM2, have a major effect on the way players approach a combat situation. Upgrades in the tactical layer should try not to improve meaningless statistics, but rather to give players more options and flexibility in the way that they use their units. Upgrades in statistics should not be meaningless, say a 10% increase in health from 60 to 66, but rather have an major effect on the survivability of a unit, say units have 6 health, and an upgrade gives 2 more health, and this allows you to tank 2 hits from a units 6 damage flanking attack instead of dying in one hit.

Its not only important for gameplay to feel exciting, but I feel also for the gameplay to *look* exciting. when I kill a unit in XCOM2, it feels really satisfying. When one of my units is killed/takes damage, it feels bad. I can only describe this experience as "visceral". We all know how underwhelming the Vaulter Marines from Endless Legend feel when they fire their crossbows, or when you use a Ardent Mages magical attack. It feels like you're playing an animated D&D campaign with a whole bunch of statistics and spreadsheets, and it doesn't feel right when you attack. It doesn't feel like combat is happening, it feels like numbers are going up/down on a piece of paper. There should be much more Impact (graphically and visual effects) when it come to the weapons being used and hitting the enemy unit.

Edit: I wanted to add something, The CIV 6 experience I think has taught us a lesson on the inclusion of features on launch. CIV 6 launched with features like religion/espionage and they both felt half-baked. The previous game CIV 5 was one of the best CIV's (after the expansions) that many people prefer over CIV 6. I feel its better, in general, to launch with less features and then add them afterwards in expansions to make sure each feature is well designed, instead of launching with a whole bunch of rushed/poorly designed gameplay mechanics. Better to have a few well designed game mechanics and add more in expansions than to have a whole bunch of mechanics that seem ok in the beginning, but as you play more you realize how shallow the mechanics are. Many fans of Amplitude, I think in my (possibly biased) opinion would be more than happy to support Amplitude by buying expansions of this type.

All in all, I'm really hyped for Humankind, Amplitude makes great games with amazing lore/mechanics and fan participation done right (games2gether). I just hope that the combat in this game is fun enough to play long term. I find myself unable to play Endless Legend/Space simply because the combat is so lacklustre, and I want to be able to play Humankind without the feeling like I have to force myself to ignore the combat/tactical layer. Best wishes and thanks for the Amplitude team and FlyByNo (love your music!).

Cheers!

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 21, 2019, 5:11:11 AM

I do agree that better tactics would be fun, although I should point out that they can all be time consuming too, which can be a problem in multiplayer. There is a reason that all the games have had an auto play button. This makes balance all the more complicated, because if you have the AI play worse than a human then they will never be satisfying opponants, but if you have the AI play as good or better then you never have a reason to play it yourself.

As for improving gameplay in the tactical layer, we know that all the cultures have their own unique units, in addition to units for all cultures in each era. I forget the exact number, but I think that's at least a hundred units. It would be difficult, but it may be possible to give each unit their own unique abilities, such as letting Egyptian chariots move, fire, and move again so long as they stay on flat terrain, making Roman legionaires immune to negative moral, giving a Byzantine navel unit Greek fire to apply damage over time to navel units, or letting German Panzers attack multiple times per turn. You could even add bonuses for particular types of terrain or elevation. In some ways it would be like getting new types of units from minor factions in Endless Legend, where they all have their own quirks.

Of course, we'd probably still need statistical increases to earlier units in a culture in order for them to stay competitive. It wouldn't make sense for chariots to go against tanks without replacing them with motercycles with sidecars for shooting from, but they'd maintain the same special ability. Maybe each era has techs for upgrading units from each previous era for this purpose, or perhaps there will simply be a "Classical/Medeival/etc" weapon/armor ability which upgrades the offensive or defensive abilities of the units from previous eras like the same techs from EL, although that raises the question of how and if strategic resources play a role in the game.

I don't think you'll get the same impact from this combat as you do from X-COM, as cool as that would be. Remember, these are representing hundreds if not thousands of warriors, and you know what they say: a ten is a tragedy, a million is a statistic. We neither can nor want to know our troops on an individual basis, and seperation is the inevitable result.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 21, 2019, 2:45:38 PM

Good posts and an interesting topic.

"its extremely boring to have tech that improves, say health of a unit by 10%, in the tactical layer. Often, these improvements feel meaningless because they don't effect any change in gameplay in the tactical layer. "

This is a very good point.  One of the problems I have with the Civ 6 combat system is that it plays the same throughout the game.  Unit attack strengths gradually increase and different troop types upgrade at different times, but your Classical battles and your Modern battles play out the same way.

I would prefer to see a system where the introduction of the machine gun dramatically changes battlefield tactics, where a horde of horse archers cannot be fought the same way you tackle an army of heavy foot, etc.

We also, however, have to be aware of game balance.  This is where limiting the effects of winning battles to historically realistic gains comes in.  In the traditional 4x system where you can capture all the cities and rule the whole world, introducing revolutionary battlefield impacts from being the first to adopt Maxim/Gatling guns might be bad game design, as first to that tech wins.  If there are pros and cons to conquest, if civs can lose wars and still bounce back, it becomes easier to include game-changing battlefield techs/tactis.

Similar considerations exist on the economic front.  There is no "revolution" in the Industrial Revolution in Civ 6.  It's just one more incremental production increase, fully offset by incremental production cost increases.  Economically, your Modern era cities look and behave the same as your Medieval cities.  From a traditional 4x game balance perspective, that makes sense.  You want economic growth to be incremental, not transformational, or else first past that line gains an insurmountable advantage.  Free up game play from the tyranny of "conquer the city, own the city" though, and now the U.K. industrializing first gives them an advantage, but doesn't knock the other civs out of the game.  They'll get around to their own transformation when they get to it.  

The Fame system, if it works well and is linked to fun and reasonable limits on expansion, could open up a lot of game play options that would sink traditional 4x games.  I'm looking forward to what Amplitude does with it.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 4, 2019, 3:13:43 PM

Actually just saw in one of the screenshots of Roman legionnaires fighting up a hill, and the front line units were in a Testudo formation, while the rear one was not. Potentially some unique unit abilities that can help in certain tactical situations are going to be included.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 10, 2019, 1:31:39 PM

Dont even know why people dislike Endless Legends combat so much, sure its no xcom, but it was a lot more engaging than civs one unit a turn.

Terrain had an impact on how effective your army could be as well as the physical properties of each unit like flying and whatnot.

I wouldnt mind an enhanced versiom of that combat with more control 

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 10, 2019, 2:10:13 PM

My biggest issue was the whole "pick what your units do before the turn starts" issue leading to some odd things happening. I know it saves some time, but it still is annoying to have to decide what a unit that might not even live to take it's turn will do.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 10, 2019, 4:41:40 PM
Dinode wrote:

My biggest issue was the whole "pick what your units do before the turn starts" issue leading to some odd things happening. I know it saves some time, but it still is annoying to have to decide what a unit that might not even live to take it's turn will do.

As an old table top miniatures grognard, I love combat systems where you issue orders in advance and see how things play out.

I do get that this system would not be for everyone, but it does have the potential to be fun, as long as you're okay with the reduced control that comes from this type of "fog of war".

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 11, 2019, 11:41:00 AM

I generally favor the "issue commands in advance" form of tactical combat because it allows you to create and attempt to orchestrate a general combat strategy and employ your tactics turn-by-turn while the enemy can upset your plans by killing units before they can act. 

I could see an argument for unit-by-unit instructions as they come up in the turn order but this dynamically changes the combat from a strategy being executed to a reactive form of combat. 

Both are fine with me, it just comes down to what system fits the game design better. Are they trying to create a more "large army, execute strategy" feel or more of a "small army, react in real time" feel. 

0Send private message
5 years ago
Oct 12, 2019, 1:13:07 AM

When your life is on the line people tend to get very, very conservative. That means that armies and units in those armies tend to have certain ways they fight and do things, and are very reluctant to 'try something new' that might just get them killed faster. This is called Doctrine, and leaving it out of any tactical game system turns a 'historical' game into fantasy.

That means a Roman Legion will fight in certain ways, in certain formations - and they will not be the same formations or tactics that a French infantry force of the Seven Year's War will use, or that a force of Dark Age Northumbrians would use in the 8th century CE. Only part of this is due to differences in weapons: more of it is differences in training and leadership on the personal and unit level, cultural values ("Victory or Death" as a choice  gets very different answers from different people in different cultures!) and amount of 'engagement' by the participants in their military endeavors.

Therefore, even if everybody fields your basic Spearman with a big wooden shield the units/armies can be as different as Spartan Hoplites, Sumerian militia from the Vulture Stele or Saxon Fyrd at Hastings: they won't fight the same way, and you cannt make them fight the same way without lots of pre-battle work stretching over a long time. And, of course, even within the same army some units are better than others, may be able to do things others cannot: there's a reason some units in European Armies got nicknamed "The Iron Division" - or Brigade, or Regiment (hint: that doesn't mean they are rusty, it means, if they are on the other side, you should Avoid Them at all costs!)

In game terms, specifically in Humankind's potential tactical mechanism, that means a lot of Intiial Placement and movement could be relatively Fixed. A Greek Phalanx Will form up in a deep line and advance on a broad front - unless you have a General of talent like Epiminendas who can 'weight' one side of the line and crush you. IF your army is all Militia or other part-time semi-civilian soldiers, there's not much you can do with them, and certainly nothing fancy. If you are facing professional Roman Legionaires or Alexander's full-time Pezhetairoi, the relative weapons won't matter much, they are going to do things that you absolutely cannot do, and do them To You. If in addition they are commanded by a Germanicus or Alexander, then in game terms your best tactic is probably to Avoid Battle.

There are lots of good details and examples of all this in all eras in good miniature wargame rules, because virtually all miniatures games are Tactical. Take a look at the relative factors and capabilities and requirements for units in rules like Age of Reason (18th century), Fire and Fury (19th century) or BattleFront (WWII) - they tend to concentrate the 'tactical lessons' much better than wading through stacks of volumes of military history trying to glean what's useful . . .

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message