Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

No Aesthetes in Medieval

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 3:55:48 PM

Title, anyone else think it's a bad idea ?  The idea of not having the opportunity of really playing the affinity you want really feel bad, it also feel like bad game design, restricting a player option feel like being punished for nothing and the choice of not including Aesthete really doesn't make sense imo. 

0Send private message
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 3:59:19 PM

I was surprised by this, mostly because it seemed before that the game wanted us to choose how we "left our mark on Humankind". We don't know how powerful the trait abilities are but we do know that you get more Fame from the Era Stars of your trait, which means we're limited on that regard for this era at least. Who knows if they will be the same case in future eras.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 4:07:31 PM

IMO not including a certain affinity can actually push players to look for other options like switching to other affinities or transcending, instead of sticking with one affinity you like. So while it could be bit disappointing, I think this decision would be a deliberate one that will improve general flow of the gameplay.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 4:11:29 PM

Yeah, I definitely agree. It's weird to have a game that's supposed to be about the choices you can make with the cultures you pick, and how they allow you to adapt to different situations and then just exclude one of the play styles for the medieval era. If you needed to generate more influence in the medieval era or use it better after what you'd done in the previous two, or if you just wanted to try that gameplay style, well you can choose a culture that's got an EQ or legacy bonus to influence but that's not going to be as optimal. You're just forced to pick something else. And it's not like being forced to pick something else is in itself bad, it can happen if someone else gets to the culture you were planning on first, but then it's your own fault for not getting there in time. This is just taking a choice away for what doesn't seem like a good reason.

Also to be honest, it kind of leaves me questioning why even have the broad orientations in the first place then? Why use them if you're not going to use them to diversify the options per era, but instead to goad us away from a playstyle? And it's clear that these aren't minor things. They give you big boosts and abilities and they influence how you can get the points that help you win the game.

It's also made worse by the other culture picks to be honest. We have three militarists instead, which in itself seems kind of excessive, but one of them would be more fitting as expansionist anyway (Vikings) and another isn't even all that medieval (the Aztecs). And it can't be blamed on them having to make the best choices for the cultures they picked because the Byzantines are right there and would work perfectly well as aesthetes. It just seems so unnecessary. We could've had aesthete byzantines, we could've had something else instead of one of the militarists. What's even the point of having three militarists and no aesthete? Just force more conflict during the middle ages? You could've just had one less merchant then. 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 4:14:28 PM

If one type is reintroduced and seven types are guaranteed, I can also think it is a good choice.Because that will give people a sense of progress of the times.But it's not a good idea to lack basic choices and force players to make other choices.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 4:16:59 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea per se, and probably some other affinities might not appear in other eras, which is interesting. Would be good to see thought behind the decision from the devs. "I want to play a single affinity during the whole game and you are restrictring my freedom" doesn't strike me as a compelling counter argument, though, especially without knowing the details of the civs and also it might not even be a good strategy at all. Affinity is only a part of the civs, and the legacy trait + emblematic quarter can definitely push influence as Aesthete (unless aesthete is faith?). For example, from the known civs:

Mauryans are Aesthete. Their trait and quarter focus completely on science and faith.

Greeks are Scientist and Romans are expansionist, they both give influence in their quarters.

Goths are militarist and give influence and faith.

My point is that the "Aesthete" focus is just a part of a civ, and we don't even KNOW the ability it gives. I know that the inner "simmetrist" in me would like always to have one of each, but it makes no sense as the civs are not  "one note" and are composed of very different parts that complement the focus.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 4:18:18 PM

Then there will be three East Asian civilizations in the next era. I think about it now and I will have a headache

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 4:26:00 PM

I've made sure that if the Middle Ages kept aestheticists out of the original, and then added aestheticians to the new paid packages, it would be widely criticized.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 5:03:52 PM

I don't buy the argument of looking for other options. Because yes, maybe you were Aesthete in the earlier eras and now you have to switch. But what if you weren't? What if you wanted to switch from something else? You could try any of the other traits, but odds are it's gonna be Military or Expansionist. So if you were doing that already, it's actually making it more likely you won't look for other options, which is the opposite of this intent.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 5:06:54 PM
Arkalis wrote:

I was surprised by this, mostly because it seemed before that the game wanted us to choose how we "left our mark on Humankind". We don't know how powerful the trait abilities are but we do know that you get more Fame from the Era Stars of your trait, which means we're limited on that regard for this era at least. Who knows if they will be the same case in future eras.

My point exactly, I don't feel like the catchphrase make much sense anymore. It kinda feel like "So, what are you waiting for ? Leave your mark on Humankind ! PS : You'll be limited and won't have access to every archetype so I hope you do believe in the Medieval Dark Age Theory!" 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 5:25:12 PM

No one is locking you out from going for Aesthete era stars, you don't get Aestethe affinity to stick around AFTER the Medieval era. Your ultimate culture gets its traits and the EQs you've built to stick around. Having more militaristic cultures imo makes for a more aggressive midgame, not having Aesthetes while being limiting, it isn't all that gamebreaking. You would still need to get 4 era stars from other affinities to get to the next era, I don't think you can fully go all Aesthete in any case, you would still need to do other things, perhaps doing some Builder Era stars, or Scientist. If you picked Aesthete culture/s in the prior eras it would make sense to think about getting a bit of Builder, or Merchant for example. If you are lagging on military Medieval era is the chance to fix that. Again, no one is locking you out of any particular Era star gain. You won't get more fame from prioritizing Aesthete stars, yes, but you could still go for your second best affinity to make up for that.

As vips in discord said, it isn't all that much of a problem not having an Aesthete culture in Medieval era.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 6:28:17 PM

I think there's a bit of clarification I think about what this means and what matters here that bares stressing. Going to roughly respond to some ideas and arugments raised in the discord discussion too.

The lack of an aesthete culture in an era means one thing above all; the lack of being able to choose an aesthete culture for the sake of an aesthete culture. What that inturn means is simply whatever the specific aesthete ability *is*, we dont know yet but thats irrelevant, and the ability to gain specific era stars and fame easier/more of as far as we can tell. This matters in as much as it matters to players who want that and I think there's a lot of attempts at arguments, some here but the discord debate hinged on this at times, that try and justify this from the stand point of trying to convince a hypothetical person away from that desire. I'm not a fan of that line of reasoning and rhetoric and don't think this is a matter of balancing arguments and counter arguments along those lines.

Cultures are indeed a mix of 4 components of which the trait specific ability is but one, alongside EU, EQ, and the cultures legacy ability. There's an argument that hinges on stressing those other aspects but my point here is that a player choosing to prioritize one of those in their personal decision making process is and should be recognized as valid, and concerns that that priority is negated in one specific era are reasonable in that regard. Its just as valid for me to for example to, regardless of traits, prioritize EQs that are maritime focused. A lack of a maritime focus of some kind in an era would also be a cause for concern, as a comparitive example.

Evoking optimal play and whether this also harms ones game run is also a double edged sword here; we have both the evoking of the point that you can just transcend, which is suboptimal to begin with, and attempts to defend not getting an aesthete culture in Midieval as not harming optimal game strategy. I think this latter point is again not a good one if we're talking about player subjectivity, which is what I think is the main concern; the lack of the option to play an aesthete culture for the sake of an aesthete culture is not good just because its not an optimal way to play the game anyway because playing suboptimally is a valid choice regardless of reasoning. One of these defends the game hamstringing a player into a situation to play their desired path the other says "its not a progamer strat anyway, dont worry about it" which are equally flawed.

Which is ultimately back to the main point that I think these arugments misunderstand; a lack of aesthete means a lack of aesthete's specific focus. And that's a true observation and a legitimate point regarding restricted player choice for a still relatively early era. It doesn't mean we're restricted in influnence producing EQs or such things. It doesn't mean we can't get influence related era starts at all and no one was saying as such, only an approach that prioritizes them is gone. 

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 7:15:02 PM

no aesthete = no bueno ;)

I'm curious for the next era, there will maybe new affinity which don't exist in the era we actually knows for exemple.

Or other exemple no more expansionist affinity in the last era ... We can't really know, for now

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 7:42:47 PM

Why not just make Byzantines into Aesthetes? Their architecture was absolutely gorgeous, their art was leagues ahead of anything of the time, they had plenty of writers and historians, and were even deeply religious, which seems to also be tied to Aesthete. They are literally one of the best picks for Aesthete. We already have a merchant culture in medieval anyways, do we really need two for the sake of Aesthete? I mean if you absolutely have to, you could play the unexpected card and make Vikings trader instead, so we wont have to have three militarists. I honestly think even Aztecs were an ok Aesthete candidate: Poetry was a big part of their culture, so was religion and art. And their city planning and sanitation greatly exceeded anything of the time in Europe. Isnt Aesthete defined partly as culture focused on citizen well-being? What fits more than sanitation and advanced city planning? Not to mention the ballcourt game for entertainment. That would make a very good Aesthete quarter, instead of a religious quarter, which we already saw in both the Olmecs and the Mayans.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jun 30, 2020, 10:22:59 PM

If you chose an Aesthete in a previous era then you can choose to not advance your culture and keep your Aesthete culture from the previous era. Additionally they will be adding more cultures in DLCs and I imagine a medieval Aesthete will be in the first DLC. This will only be a minor inconvenience for the first few months after launch.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 1, 2020, 3:48:40 AM
Rubliko wrote:

Why not just make Byzantines into Aesthetes? Their architecture was absolutely gorgeous, their art was leagues ahead of anything of the time, they had plenty of writers and historians, and were even deeply religious, which seems to also be tied to Aesthete. They are literally one of the best picks for Aesthete. We already have a merchant culture in medieval anyways, do we really need two for the sake of Aesthete? I mean if you absolutely have to, you could play the unexpected card and make Vikings trader instead, so we wont have to have three militarists. I honestly think even Aztecs were an ok Aesthete candidate: Poetry was a big part of their culture, so was religion and art. And their city planning and sanitation greatly exceeded anything of the time in Europe. Isnt Aesthete defined partly as culture focused on citizen well-being? What fits more than sanitation and advanced city planning? Not to mention the ballcourt game for entertainment. That would make a very good Aesthete quarter, instead of a religious quarter, which we already saw in both the Olmecs and the Mayans.

I very much agree that the culture traits could easily be reshufflled, and that the Byzantines could easily fill the role of Aesthete. My theory (and hope) is that the devs are already planning to make this change, and the culture cards that have been released are simply outdated. (Similar to how they announced that the Bronze Era would be renamed to "Ancient Era" in the final release)

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 1, 2020, 4:26:41 AM

Obviously, this kind of planning is implying that the middle ages are different from those before. However, due to the improper arrangement of publicity, we can not know what special arrangements the designers have. Many theories are not in line with reality, for example, the creators avoid the emergence of militarists in modern times.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 1, 2020, 8:47:22 AM

It also seems strange to me the absence of aesthetes in the Middle Ages.

After three eras, we get: science - 3, builders - 3, aesthetes - 3, agrarians - 3, expansionists - 5, merchants - 6, militarists - 7.

Obviously there is a certain imbalance in the types of сultures.

Perhaps in the next eras there will be fewer merchants? I see no reason for this. Fewer militarists? Perhaps, but this is cunning - there have been wars at all times. Fewer expansionists? It makes sense. Especially if it implies a peaceful expansion of unoccupied territories.

In any case, I would like to know the reasons for this decision from the developers. I'm very interested.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 1, 2020, 1:46:47 PM
Salterius wrote:

No one is locking you out from going for Aesthete era stars, you don't get Aestethe affinity to stick around AFTER the Medieval era. Your ultimate culture gets its traits and the EQs you've built to stick around. Having more militaristic cultures imo makes for a more aggressive midgame, not having Aesthetes while being limiting, it isn't all that gamebreaking. You would still need to get 4 era stars from other affinities to get to the next era, I don't think you can fully go all Aesthete in any case, you would still need to do other things, perhaps doing some Builder Era stars, or Scientist. If you picked Aesthete culture/s in the prior eras it would make sense to think about getting a bit of Builder, or Merchant for example. If you are lagging on military Medieval era is the chance to fix that. Again, no one is locking you out of any particular Era star gain. You won't get more fame from prioritizing Aesthete stars, yes, but you could still go for your second best affinity to make up for that.

As vips in discord said, it isn't all that much of a problem not having an Aesthete culture in Medieval era.

Affinity Star counts as more fame, it's definitely irreplaceable given fame the ultimate winning condition. What you said is always for someone who played Aesthete BEFORE Medieval Era, but why can't someone play as, for example, Scientist → Expansionist → Aesthete? Why waiting until Medieval to burst influence is out of the table? Can you justify

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message