Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Sphere of Influence rework: A proposal to fix several interconnected issues

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 8:03:03 PM

Sorta connected to Victor Feedback, but decided to post the thread here since it emcompasses things not really connected to Victor also. In my games, discussing in the discord, and reading other player's feedback on these forums, I've found several repeating issues around Influence, Expansionists and Aesthete whom I shall describe below:

a) Expansionist stars feel "too hard" to achieve, especially on the mid-late game when most territories are claimed;
b) The game lacks a Influence "sink", with players accruing too much Influence in the mid-late game and having nothing to spend on;

c) Since expansion mostly require influence or war, Militarist, Expansionist and Aesthete Affinities sorta clash with one another, with overlapping metagame;

d) Unlike Builder, Agrarian, Scientist, Militarist and Merchant, Aesthete affinity does not have abilities that help it gather Aesthete Stars;

e) Expansionist in theory does have an ability that helps it gather Expansionist stars, but it is almost impossible to use;

f) Developers have stated that they intend Expansionist to be able to expand peacefully, but this is hardly encouraged by the current game mechanics;

g) Vassals give way too much money in the early game.

To solve those issues, I propose the following changes to the game:

1) Create a "Tourism Rating" for each Territory;

Each territory claimed by an Empire or IP should have a "Tourism Rating". This value is a function of several other values: Its population; the districts/holysites/wonders built on it, the presence or absence of Natural Wonders; Tech levels/Eras; etc. It should start very small and should increase towards the mid-late game. The Empire or IP who have the territory in its Sphere of Influence (i.e. whose culture influences) said territory gains its "Tourism Rating" as gold income per turn.

2) Remove passive Influence Spread and create an Add to Sphere of Influence action on the Culture Overlay;

Instead of having cultures passively spread due to influence gain, assign the Sphere of Influence of each territory using the following rules:
a. When an Empire or IP builds an outpost, it is automatically in the Sphere of Influence of that empire or IP;

b. When any Empire opens the Culture overlay, it can see a button near all outposts/admin centers/city centers outside its Sphere of Influence it can see on the map that allows it to pay Influence to instantly add that territory to its Sphere of Influence (culture bomb);

c. The Influence cost to add a territory to a empire's Sphere of Influence should depend on the tourism rating of the said territory, the presence of trade routes and shared religions, the cultural proximity of both empires, the distance between the target territory and the bombing empire's capital, and should increase each time the territory changes its cultural ownership;

3) Change the Expansionist star to trigger on territory ownership either by control or culture;

Instead of counting only the territories you control, the Expansionist stars will count the territories you either control (regardless of which Sphere of Influence it is in) or influence (territories you don't control but are part of your Sphere of Influence). This should allow for any empires to gain those stars even if they don't expand if they focus on influence and win the culture game, allowing for "peaceful expansionists" even if there's no more land to grab.  

4) Change Vassal income calculation to be based on Tourism Rating;

Instead of current vassal tribute formula, Vassals should pay their overlord all Tourism Income they would gain. This would make Vassal income scale naturally from the early into the late game. 

5) Rework Aesthete Abilities;

Instead of the current Abilities, I propose Aesthete to have two other abilities instead, one passive and one active:
PASSIVE: Your territories are harder to influence (increase the cost to use the "Add to Sphere of Influence" action on your territories that are part of your Sphere of Influence.
ACTIVE: Mecenas Mode: For X Turns, gain Influence instead of money with your Tourism Income.

This passive would help you control your territories and maintain your Tourism Income, which can be transformed to Influence by the active (similiar to the Builder and Science Modes from Builder and Scientist) helping your culture achieve the Aesthete Stars.

6) Rework Expansionist Abilities;

Instead of the current Abilities, I propose Expansionist to have two other abilities instead, one passive and one active:
ACTIVE: Influence Bomb: Instantly add a territory to your Sphere of Influence for zero influence cost, if the territory is adjacent to a territory on your Sphere of Influence. Works in a cooldown, similar to current Aesthete Ability.

PASSIVE: You may diplomatically buy territories from other Empires by offering a large sum of gold. This gold sum is N times the territory's Tourism Rating. You may only buy territories inside your Sphere of Influence.

These new abilities would both help you gain Expansionist Stars and simulate the peaceful expansion the devs wanted the Expansionists to be able to do.

--------------------------------------------------

I think those six changes could solve the issues listed above, making for a more gratifiying gameplay in the culture part of the game, while also allowing a new design space for Civics, Technologies, Religious Tenets, EUs, EQ, and LT related to Tourism Income, adding territories to one's Sphere of Influence (and the defending from it), and gaining bonuses/penalties when fighting on territories in your Sphere of Influence (or not).

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 10:25:49 PM

1 & 2. Having the default state of empires be a bubble of influence that generates money from other empires is interesting. I think there's a lot of potential in this as a catch-up mechanic, where the smaller neighbour of a larger empire can essentially use that larger empire's population to get a form of passive income. A bit like trade if it worked off population but more for Aesthetes. I don't think you need to remove the passive influence spread at all, the influence spread mechanic simply needs more clarity in order to function as it currently is. The current system is fine and would work for your proposed idea without needing to micro-manage all that. I'm also hesitant about giving this game ANOTHER way to generate money, since it's already really easy to get way way too much.

3. I disagree with the proposed change, Expansionists just need their own way to generate influence to claim territories peacefully, as well as a change to the territory needed to be controlled for expansionist stars. Plus they can already "peacefully" gain territories from others by demanding them with the diplomacy system, although that's not really unique to them.

4. Seems fine, just another form of income you can extract.

5. I came up with a different smaller change to the Aesthete ability, where if you use culture bomb on your own province that's already in your sphere of influence, you gain a % boost to that province's influence generation.

6. I like the idea of giving expansionists more influence related abilities(I subscribe to the idea of lowering the penalty for being above the city limit for them, and having expansionists generate influence when they create military units. Oh and they ignore closed boarders). Also their passive is already a system within Humankind that anyone can use, it's just a demand you can do.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 11:02:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I hope this discussion helps the Devs in tackling the issues mentioned on the first post.

1 & 2 My problem with it is not that it is passive, but rather that it scales with influence GENERATION. This means that if you generate a lot of influence, you'll be good at claiming land AND building wonders AND adding territories to your sphere of influence. Having it be a expenditure means it becomes an influence sink (which I saw a lot of players complaining there isn't) and means you'll have to do a counscious decision: would you prefer claim land and build wonders OR would you prefer to add territories to your sphere of influence for that sweet Tourism Income and Grievances?

However, if "too-much-micro" is the concern, I think the system can work by having you put your influence into a "sphere pool" where you click a button to dump your influence and let it flow passively to other lands, or even have the culture spread key off your BANKED influence: the less you spend Influence, the more your culture spreads. Make a big Influence expenditure like claiming a wonder or building your 4th city and you're suddenly vulnerable to other Empire's influence.

3. Making Expansionists have something to gain more influence as a trait of the affinity would make the borders between Aesthete and Expansionist even more muddy. Also I still think the "opressing my people" grievance and its demand is nice should be kept as is, but it isn't that "peaceful" anyway :P

5. That would be nice. I'm all for any Aesthete ability that helps them getting their aesthete stars.

6. I disagree that the Expansionist passive I proposed and the "opressing my people" Grievance are the same. First, the expansionist passive would require a lump sum of money to be paid, so it'll be mutually beneficial to both players (probably more beneficial to the Expansionist - see the Alaska and Louisiana purchases) and thus the AI would certainly be more happy to accept. Second, it is not a Demand, so it would not hamper trade, generate war support or even be a cause for instant war, like pushing a demand and having it to be rejected. To argue that the proposed passive is the same as the base "oppressing my people demand" is like arguing the Merchant Passive doesn't do anything, since you can already buy and sell resources in the market, even though it modifies the act of buying and selling.

The proposed changes are based on systems that already exist in HK (there is already a tourism monetary income in HK, but only for Aesthetes; The "culture bomb" action already exist as the Aesthete action; the "toggable modes" system are already in place with builders and scientists; and the territory buyout is close to the grievances/demand system) for a reason: because they should be as easy to code as possible, and having systems that work similarly to systems that are already in the game help that objective (there is, after all, a release date to meet).

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 11:14:33 PM

3. I don't think it necessarily muddies the boarder between the two affinities. Their traits are about accomplishing two things in separate ways using the same resource. Aesthetes are all about projecting influence, and profiting off that projected influence. Expansionists are about taking land, and with this new affinity bonus I had in mind they can found their own land easier, and maintain more cities. Also somewhat relevant but I designed the influence gain on unit production based on the current system, where your sphere is based on influence production. The influence you gain when making units would not count for that, so that influence can only be used for spending. Under your more active system that influence would fulfill both purposes. I don't really want that.

6. Honestly that's a good point, would be cool if demands as expansionists were different and didn't do things like stop ongoing trade. I'd consider it a good addition.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 11:32:17 PM

To preface this point, I would like to reinstate that I do think that having expansionists be able to control more land more easily (like ignoring closed borders to allow them to settle behind other empires and facilitate the steal land ability) would be a good move, and have even suggested it on the past. If Expansionists are about taking land and they get a design that helps them get more land I'm absolutely 100% on that boat.

My problem is that there is a disconnection between Aesthetes' "my affinity is about projecting influence and profiting off it" idea and the actual trigger for Aesthete Stars (which is simply "gain more influence"). If the Aesthete star trigger was "have X foreign territories in your Sphere of Influence" like FlamingKetchup was discussing in the Discord, then yes, I fully agree with your point that giving "Expansionist gain influence on building Units" would absolutely NOT step on Aesthete shoes. But as the Aesthete is now, gaining more influence thru unitbuilding would make Expansionists have an easier time than Aesthetes making those Aesthete stars. In other words, the Expansionist Assyrians (which have no LT/EQ/EU that increases Influence) would be BETTER at making the Aesthete stars than the Aesthete Zhou (which also have no LT/EU/EQ that increases Influence). This is what sounds wrong to me, at least in paper, and this is part of the reason why I created this post - reason "d)" to be exact.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 11:56:52 PM

Perhaps it was a mistake to have Aesthete stars be entirely Influence based. Making them based on territories under your sphere of influence would be a lot more engaging. It also works with my concept of expansionist's unique method of influence gain not adding to your sphere of influence.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 8, 2021, 12:02:59 PM

How this suggestion, after applied, can change Aesthete and Expansionist cultures? Lets brainstorm together.

Ancient

Olmecs

Olmecs are on a fantastic place right and work very well with this new system, so no need to change them. If anything, the Javelin Throwers could lose a few CS as they're very strong.

Zhou

Zhou is on a good place power wise, and bring a unique take: an science-focused Aesthete. However, I do feel that while they are in a good powerlevel, they could have a sidegrade to emphasize its affinity by changing the Confucian School's base + 1 Science to either +1 Influence or +1 Faith. It will still be a mainly Science building with its science adjacency and researcher slot, but will help the Zhou gain a bit of influence or faith, since it has no other way to go for influence this early in the game.

Assyrians

The Assyrians are quite underpowered right now, and one of the key reason is that the Dunnu is just a weaker form of the Cyclopean Fortress. It got the exact same stats, but lower fortification, lower combat strenght to allies, and do not make enemy slower. I think the other parts of the Assyrian kit are in a great place, but the Dunnu could use a rework. A few ideas about it are: a) they could grant the swift modifier to allied units passing through it (a nod to the Assyrian King's Road that spawned between Dunnu) ; b) Make the Dunnu grant +5 Stability like other garrison districts; c) Grant it +2 influence income, which would help with early settling; and/or d) Make territories with a Dunnu act as your capital to calculate Outpost costs (outposts are cheaper the closer they are to your capital, and the Dunnu would lower the influence cost for claiming territories). I think a combination of 2 or 3 of the above effects would help the Assyrians reach a similar power level to other Ancient Civilization while enhancing its "expansionist" direction.

Classical

Achaemenids

The Achaemenids are also in a fantastic position and I think they need no change.

Mauryans

The Mauryans are also in a great place. Its LT is a bit on the weaker side right now, but the changes proposed here will grant them more influence through Mecenas Mode which can help them patronize IP easier, and their great EQ and EU surely make up for the weaker LT, so I don't think they need to be changed.

Romans

Romans do have a very strong EU, balanced by the fact it comes very late in the tech tree. However, both its LT and EQ are on the weaker side and they bring this civilization down. The EQ is the easiest to fix - Triumphal Archs should not have the base -10 stability. As it is now, it is better to build common's quarters than it is to build Triumphal Archs, which is a bit strange. Having the LT give +3 stability base instead of -7 (+3-10) would fix that. As for the LT... The LT is almost useless right now, and unless there is either a Generals System, an Army Cap,a Reinforcement Cap, or a huge increase to Army Upkeep enforced it will not do much. If the army size is still a minor consideration due to the current systems, Romans could use an entirely new LT, maybe related to road movement, increased war support, or diplomacy (easier/longer grievances?).   

Medieval
Franks

Franks are thematically in a fantastic place, but their LT is a tad too strong. They clash with the Industrial Mexicans which have the same LT but weaker (+50% food vs +20% food), so a few adjustments could be done. One such adjustment is to restrict the Frank bonus to apply only for the capital (Paris was, indeed, a huge city in the medieval era), or change it to a different growth-based LT (I have suggested it to become -20% food consumption on pops), and another suggestion I've heard in discord is to tone down Franks to +20% food and change the Mexican one (maybe to this -20% food consumption idea).

Teutons

Teutons are in a great place overall and I think they need no changes. A sidegrade that could be done is to remove the Kaiserdom's faith bonuses and give it a religion defense buff (-X% to enemy religious pressure on this territory). Teutons actually do not want their faith to spread to enemy lands through faith, since they'll lose their crusading bonuses, so making the Kaiserdom weaken enemy religious pressure can both protect the Teutons' religion AND help convert the lands they conquer by the sword, while not help expanding their religion to outside their own borders.  

Early Modern

Edo Japanese

The Edo are way too overtuned with their LT. +1 influence per district would grant plenty of influence already, having it give +3 is absolutely too strong. Other than that, its weaker EQ is counterbalanced by the amazing EU and its LT, even after nerfed.

Ming

While the Ming were in the weaker side on Victor, with several players reporting that civics were too easy to get, I think that once you can adjust stability to make it harder to stay at 100% all the time (my suggestion would be reducing the effects of "free" stability sources like Procession and religion, and reducing the stability effects of luxury resources), this can be a very good pick. I would not change anything about the Ming.

Ottomans

Another civilization that is on the weaker side, the Ottomans have a nice EQ and EU and is only let down by its lackluster LT. I would increase the LT reduction from 15 to 25%, and have it apply to not only attach outpost, but also to found cities. Other than that, they're in a good spot. 

Spanish

Another example of the "conquering expansionist" type, the Spanish are in a great position. While their EQ is on the weaker side, their fantastic LT and great EU make for it, so I would not change it.

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 8, 2021, 4:15:35 PM

While you do make some very good suggestions about how things can be fixed, when it comes to Expansionists, I have a major disagreement with the developers and thus the entire premise of their ability and any suggestions to make it work better. That is that being an Expansionist has anything to do with "peaceful" expansion given the cultures that are Expansionist. Let Aesthetes do that with influence bomb and cultural grievances. The Assyrians, the Romans, the Spanish, the British, the Americans, and every other Expansionist in this game historically expanded through bloody campaigns of slaughter and conquest, and their orientation abilities should reflect and facilitate that.

The only times land has really been purchased in history has been when the "owner" of that land had no further use of it and didn't think it would be worth their own efforts and goals for expansion. Even then, the period following the Louisiana Purchase was followed by violent conquest of the same region the US had just bought. Either way, maybe purchasing land should be a diplomatic option, but it shouldn't be one unique to Expansionists.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 11, 2021, 8:37:30 PM

Delving a little deeper on the Tourism mechanics, here's an initial draft of which could be the tourism sources up to Industrial era. Only thing that isn't in the table is the Industrial LT/EQ, since I couldn't play with them and can't assess which cultures could have a buff on that area. My thematic reasoning is that Tourism should represent not only direct "tourist" revenue, but the amount of exploitable economic resources that the private sector could employ and and a government could harvest through tax, treaties and royalties (thus representing economic yields of your cultural influence).

Tourism SourcesTypeEraBonus to Tourism
OutpostTerritory CenterAncient+0
Admin CenterTerritory CenterAncient+1
City CenterTerritory CenterAncient+2
Natural WonderWonderAncient+10 (instead of current +10 money)
Market QuarterDistrictAncient+1
Harbour/Harbour EQDistrictAncient+1
Pottery WorkshopInfrastructureAncient+1 on each territory in this city
Levy AdministrationInfrastructureClassical+0.5 per pop on main plaza
TheaterInfrastructureClassical+1 on market quarter
Artisan WorkshopInfrastructureClassical+1 on market quarter per adjacent maker's quarter
Trade ExpeditionsTechClassical+1 on Harbour/Harbour EQ
Aksumites' ObeliskEQClassical+2 per territory under the religion's influence (remove the +1 money per territory and base +1 money)
Goth's TumulusEQClassical+10 (for 1 turn) every time you ransack another empire's district or win a battle (don't stack with itself)
GuildsTechMedieval+1 per trader
ByzantinesLTMedieval+2 on each territory per alliance (on your and allied territories)
Chartered CompaniesTechE.Modern+1 on all territories (of all players, stack to up to +8 tourism to all territories)
MercantilismTechE.Modern+1 on Market Quarter and +1 on Harbour/Harbour EQ
PlayhouseInfrastructureE.Modern+1 on Common's Quarter
Taxation OfficeInfrastructureE.Modern+1 on luxury Resources deposit (reduce direct money to +2)
Venetian BottegheEQE.Modern+2 per adjacent market quarter (instead of +1 influence per adjacent market quarter) 
Ming Grand TeahouseEQE.Modern+3
PolesLTE.Modern+3 on Garrison (add to current LT)
EncyclopediaTechIndustrial+10 on each wonder (natural or manmade) in your territory
Train StationDistrictIndustrial+2 per adjacent market quarter
Custom AgencyInfrastructureIndustrial+2 on territories with trade routes passing through (any number of trade routes)
ElectricityTechIndustrial+1 on district producing tourism per coal
AerodromeDistrictIndustrial+10
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 11, 2021, 8:57:51 PM

Bit technical here, but here's a proposed mathematical model to calculate the Influence cost of adding a territory to your sphere of influence. This model should be able to scale well with the expansion costs and the overall influence generation of the game. It is not perfect, as I am not familiar to the finer details of the income/cost curves the devs are aiming for, but this model can hopefully inspire the final formula. 

Scost = Influence cost of the “Add to Sphere of Influence” action

B = 10 (base cost for normal empires) or 20 (base cost if your target is Aesthete)

T = Tourism Rating of target territory

P = Proximity factor ( Base 1, and reduce it by 0.25 for each of the following factors that apply: Open Borders; Same Religion; At least 1 trade route between empires)

D= Distance, in territories, between the target territory and your capital, divided by 4.

I = Ideological similarity between the two empires (as shown in the ideological proximity tooltip, ranging from 0 to 1)

n = number of times the territory has changed sphere ownership, either through the “Add to Sphere action” or through the “Influence Bomb action”

EDIT: Made a spreadsheet to help you visualize the size of the Influence costs. You can acess and edit it to your heart's content in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18OW0TnyhahxmxcLsRVpxmbj2t8BiWD7E_yKbvqigcDU/edit#gid=0

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 12, 2021, 1:42:33 AM
docktorkain wrote:
Franks are thematically in a fantastic place, but their LT is a tad too strong. They clash with the Industrial Mexicans which have the same LT but weaker (+50% food vs +20% food), so a few adjustments could be done. One such adjustment is to restrict the Frank bonus to apply only for the capital (Paris was, indeed, a huge city in the medieval era), or change it to a different growth-based LT (I have suggested it to become -20% food consumption on pops), and another suggestion I've heard in discord is to tone down Franks to +20% food and change the Mexican one (maybe to this -20% food consumption idea).

I've never needed any food district. Also never needed any food related LT. You can reach 3 early-modern agrarian stars before turn 120 without using either of those.
Even if it was 50000000000000000% , it wouldn't make any difference to me. Because it is capped at 1 growth / turn basically, and it doesn't matter at all.
The growth / pop system has to be reworked imo, because it doesn't make any sense, to me at least.
500 food is just 50% better than 50, so idc if it's 333 instead of 500 really.
And that is why I consider food affinities trash tier, especially later on. Because you have plenty of food to grow up to 50 pop (in each city) without any food district.

That being said, I agree with your idea : "I have suggested it to become -20% food consumption on pops, and another suggestion I've heard in discord is to tone down Franks to +20% food and change the Mexican one (maybe to this -20% food consumption idea). "

It is the same story for the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, which are really busted, once stacked together.
20% + 50% = 70% (wow, maths) reduced cost of all gold rush costs.
50% is really op tho, just that is absolutely crazy. It basically doubles your money, because, let's face it, 90% of money usage is purchasing buildings and units. The 20% is meh, until you get the 50%, and so is relevant only if planning to take both. (Because when it costs 50%, further 20% reduction is a 40% effective reduction). Past turn 110, you can litterally build everything in a city in 2 - 3 turns (with 8k - 15k money / turn). In a new city, you can build about 15 - 20 districts in 1 turn, or buy 4 - 6 industrial units (gatling, dragoon ...) / turn.

Sry, but the Ummayads LT seems so much more powerful than any food LT (because it will make you grab better food technologies for example...), that I couldn't even consider the 50% as a desirable option. If it was rising the 1 growth / turn to 2 / turn, I would at least consider it viable.

Agreed for the Romans. They need some love, and some more interesting LT.

As for Edo Japanese, I don't get it why it is too strong. It is basically useless, because you will never lack influence this far in the game. You can grab everything with golds, you can produce 500 - 1000 influence / turn without picking any influence culture or building influence related district (besides wonders and holy sites of course).

IF they balance things up, it could be good. But as of now, I think they have to rework some of the resource game mechanics (like influence, religion tenet, wonders, food, build rushes ...) in order to say if a culture is powerful or not. Too many things need to be changed, and cultures are the least important imho.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 12, 2021, 2:14:55 AM

I agree with most of your ideas. They sound better than what the game offered in victor, at least for Aesthete and Expansionist abilities.
I would love to see something around these lines in a future build !!

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 13, 2021, 11:34:57 AM
martinovich89 wrote:

Agreed for the Romans. They need some love, and some more interesting LT.

A interesting idea I just came up for a new Roman LT is to model their powerful and lasting cultural influence over the lands they conquered as such: "Roman Law: Add any territories you gain in a peace deal to your Sphere of Influence for free."  

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 15, 2021, 7:41:05 PM
docktorkain wrote:

Bit technical here, but here's a proposed mathematical model to calculate the Influence cost of adding a territory to your sphere of influence.

Made an adjustment to the above formula (both in the description and in the google sheets calculator) to reduce the impact of the Distance modifier. While I do like its behaviour (it encourages moving your capital closer to the enemy border for maximum economic benefits, a very interesting risk/reward assessment), it was scaling too hard and was overpowering other modifiers such as ideology or proximity. The change was to divide "D" value by four: instead of each territory adding +100% to the influence cost, each one will add only +25%. This still makes distant lands very costly to convert, but will even out the playing field and allow for any given empire to hold over larger spheres if they focus on it. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 27, 2021, 10:42:47 PM

8housesofelixir, on discord, added to the discussion of Expansionist abilities:

"Annexing/building a military installation a random but strategic part of other's territory was a common practice throughout the history, and a lot of the Expansionists in the game had done it as well (there is literally a former British concession as well as a former Russian concession in my hometown). I wonder how that can be translated into the game on the strategical grounds (esp. with the mechanic of trade routes, controlling strategical points will be important). One thing I can think of (probably not the best way) is to introduce it as a unique diplomatic action for Expansionists. An Expansionist can propose to buy a territory of others as a diplo proposal/demand (so it will have a cooldown time (5-10 turns?) with an adequate money cost and not being a clickfest), others can refuse the demand but with the cost of generating a grievance. (If Expansionist waged the war eventually they may took that territory with a discounted war desire cost.) In this way the land-grab and the diplomatic leverage can work together as part of Expansionist's toolkit. I think it can model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concessions_and_leases_in_international_relations ." 

This would make the expansionist abilities as such: the Influence bomb ability and this "buy territory" diplo action which would ignore sphere of influence (as opposed to the ability proposed in the opening post which required Sphering first). 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message