Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

More than one avatar

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 2, 2021, 1:12:14 PM

I'm a little disappointed in finding out that, at present, we will only be able to create one avatar for the game (based on the answer in this interview https://youtu.be/PNwtzmdM620?t=564 ) 

I know that they said they have been getting feedback about the ability to create more, so I want to add my voice to that request. I think its great that you can download your friends avatars when they create them. However, in my case, none of my friends or family are gamers so I would need to create them myself if I ever wanted to put them in the game. 

I think that addition of the avatar system is great for the longevity of this game, I just hope and encourage Amplitude to allow the players to create more than just their avatars and let us create ones for the AI as well. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 2, 2021, 3:19:47 PM

Yeah, this was something that irked me since they told more about avatar system. I just don't get it, I can't myself create Civ-series Montezuma to drag him into HK and kick his butt once again (as Brentalfloss put it, he's a douchebag), but one of the people in my friends' list creates him and all of sudden now I can play against him? Man, just give us multiple player profiles within single copy, that used to be a thing in games.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 2, 2021, 7:57:34 PM

This is a feature I’ve been wanting ever since I first saw the avatars feature focus.

Since it’s very likely that I’m going to change the look of my avatar regularly, based on my mood, each day; I’d like the ability to save and quickly swap between multiple appearances for my avatar, with one appearance set as default that my friends can play against.

I’d also really like to be able to create avatars the AI can control that I can play against.  That way, if for example, someone wants to play a massive war game, that person could make a bunch of warmongers to play against.  These could be historical figures like Genghis Khan, or fictional characters, or even inventions from the imagination of the player.

I think this would be a great way for people to further customize the experience they have with the game.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 2, 2021, 10:56:28 PM
Owlexander wrote:

This is a feature I’ve been wanting ever since I first saw the avatars feature focus.

Since it’s very likely that I’m going to change the look of my avatar regularly, based on my mood, each day; I’d like the ability to save and quickly swap between multiple appearances for my avatar, with one appearance set as default that my friends can play against.

I’d also really like to be able to create avatars the AI can control that I can play against.  That way, if for example, someone wants to play a massive war game, that person could make a bunch of warmongers to play against.  These could be historical figures like Genghis Khan, or fictional characters, or even inventions from the imagination of the player.

I think this would be a great way for people to further customize the experience they have with the game.

I hadn't even thought about wanting to change out your own personal avatar. But you're absolutely correct, I may not want to play as myself ALL the time. 
I just think there is so much potential in letting the player have some control over what all the avatars look like. I think it hamstrings a great system to only let members of the community have one. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 3, 2021, 11:33:40 AM
It is very unfortunate. Alternatively, I think designating one avatar among many more to "chief avatar", which appears to the friends or the Humankind internet community as my account, could also work. In this way we would be able to create multiple avatars to test or play against even in a single player.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 9, 2021, 9:35:26 PM

I talked about this in the discord but I might as well add my thoughts about it here as well.

1.  The 1 avatar may be our own unique creation in the game but it goes against the concept we have with cultures. The cultures allow a lot of replayability while the character we play as will get old and so do the opponent AIs. Making many of our own is different than just being able to select that 1 or the other premade ones. 

2. It limits every player's creativity to just 1, because we can make only 1 avatar we share for others. Not everyone is as talented or interested in making AI avatars, maybe someone in the community is very good at making them and people would want to play against more than just 1 of their creations. Or more importantly, maybe they want to make and share more than just 1 avatar.

3. I'm assuming we are able to customize that 1 character more than once, wouldnt make sense not to be able to as we'd have 1 chance to make it. So when the player gets bored of their avatars' looks they are going to erase the first avatar and that defeats the whole purpose of having just 1 avatar in the first place. The reasoning was to create a character and their story in humankind's history (I guess?), which we are forced to erase. Character templates we can save fixes this one, but what's the point of letting us make just 1 if we can save templates.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 11, 2021, 1:18:33 AM

I just want to throw my voice in and agree with pretty much everything y'all have said. I'd love to be able to make multiple characters so I can play against non-gamer friends or historical figures. Plus, I love playing around with character creators and can't imagine being satisfied with only have one appearance for my own character.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 13, 2021, 10:20:41 AM

Hey, just another +1 for this concept, I really would like to create the opponents I'm playing against.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 13, 2021, 4:42:39 PM

TheZuma wrote:

Hey, just another +1 for this concept, I really would like to create the opponents I'm playing against.

Same here. Especially with the AI part of the avatar that was discussed in the feature focus. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 10:20:17 PM

I agree with everything said in this post, i love to customize things and seeing the limit saddens me a lot.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 10:33:16 AM

+1 to this post. Being able to make many avatars would be an amazing feature that would allow the player base to express so much more creativity. Even if the extra Avatars were just stored locally it would be a huge upgrade.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 1:18:51 PM
EnviiXD wrote:

+1 to this post. Being able to make many avatars would be an amazing feature that would allow the player base to express so much more creativity. Even if the extra Avatars were just stored locally it would be a huge upgrade.

I think about all the creative mods that Xcom2 had for their squad avatar system. It really gave the game longevity and that deeper connection. 

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 11, 2021, 3:37:50 PM

I haven't seen anything on any of the streams, nor have I heard anyone mention it. I really hope that it is added (and if not that it'll be added later). 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 11, 2021, 8:07:54 PM

My understanding watching some of these streams is avatar creation is still under the embargo, so probably will not get any confirmation until release or the day before. The only thing I have seen on avatar personas is when Explorimate briefly passed over it on his way to the map editor in his Map Editor exclusive video on Monday.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 12, 2021, 6:55:16 AM

This is surprising. It's hard to imagine how anyone thought it would be  good idea to only let players create and save 1 Avatar.

+1 for more personal Avatar creations.

Hopefully its an oversight they can fix in conjunction with the first (inevitable) DLC, whenever that comes along.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 12, 2021, 8:02:53 AM

This also irked me as well, It somewhat alienates players who prefer singleplayer as well as players who don't have many online friends much less friends who own the game.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 12, 2021, 5:57:14 PM

So this died just now on stream, we're limited to one avatar. Quite disappointed, not gonna lie.

For clarity, you can still import avatars from your friends. Which makes the whole thing just silly. I can get someone else's avatar, but can't make that same avatar myself.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 12, 2021, 6:38:59 PM

Very disappointing. Well maybe they'll see how many people want it and can add it in the future (or a super modder will make it happen)

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message