Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Is Ransacking your own cities an intended feature, an exploit, oversight?

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Aug 30, 2021, 7:41:06 PM
To be clear, I mean ransacking the city center to destroy its status as a city.

Let me start by explaining why it's more beneficial to build districts in a new nearby city vs. attaching. If you attach an outpost to a city, you'll increase the cost of districts because each of the resources and the outpost itself count as districts. Add into all of the districts your main city has, and you're looking at enormous costs for each successive district (currently it's costing me 9500 industry per district). However, starting a new city will reduce the district costs down to 400 or so I believe, and rising up again slowly per district (right now at 18 districts it costs 1324 industry per district). Allowing you to cover the landscape really fast earlier on. The cost of Influence on building and then destroying a city is quickly offset by the gained production/population growth once attaching it as an outpost. As it is, of my 972 influence generated per turn, 814 of it is coming from districts.

If you have two cities near one another, you can "Absorb City" with the right tech for a hefty cost. (I'm looking at numbers of 170k Influence, when I'm making under 1000 per turn)

OR

You can exploit the fact that it's a small city with no attached territories, reducing the cost of districts by about 90%+ of what it would cost if it were instead attached, allowing you to mass-buyout and produce districts in just a few dozen turns or so. After you're satisfied with the district layout, destroy the city center, and replace it with an outpost (roughly around 500-1000 Influence) and Attach (roughly 2000-5000 influence right now).

Doing it the second way, I just saved 164k influence or the 100+ turns it would've taken to save up that influence. So I ask what the point of Absorb city is other than the worst means possible to connect cities and avoid getting the "Thief" badge (which as far as I can tell doesn't really do anything other than give you some extra money for doing this).

It's also beneficial to let nearby Independent People (or even liberate your own cities as rebels) build up the landscape quickly (they'll do it faster than you can early on, or the rest of the AI usually, and allow you to focus on other things) and reabsorb them the same way, gaining a few armies in the process.

If this is all intended, then it's a shame the AI can't seem to figure out how to do this because it'll always shoot you lightyears ahead of them while giving you all of the Agarian and Builder fame stars for every Era.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 30, 2021, 7:46:05 PM

Oh and bonus: If you don't ever research an upgrade to something like the basic Archer for as long as you possibly can, then you can also transfer the existing 4-10 population or whatever that exists in the city into cheap troops in about a turn or two. Reinvesting them as population, or saving them for later since they're cheap upkeep and can be instantly upgraded into something powerful later on. Either way, huge armies.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 30, 2021, 7:50:06 PM

Indeed. That's what I do now. Create city, build district, raze, attach as an outpost. Same with Independent People City. It's better to attack them (bonus: military fame), raze the center, attach as outpost. What about the population? Na, you can work them to death for a district before razing it.

Merge/Absorb city is way too expensive.

Oh and colony model (and later versions of it) is cheap. So building new city with all infrastructures installed is very cheap compared to building it from scratch, all in one turn.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 30, 2021, 8:03:01 PM

Yeah this is one of the areas of the game that I think needs to looked at. I have more thoughts, but essentially my TLDR thesis is being a "Builder" requires you to be a merchant more than a builder, because of this. And, it feels like Feudalism and the related upgrades should have some way of upgrading existing cities infrastructure, otherwise it becomes toxic really fast.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 30, 2021, 8:11:19 PM

Huh, I knew you could ransack your own districts including Outposts and Administrative Centers, but I never tried it on the Main Plaza to just bork the city. Sounds like the main problems are:

1. The prohibitive cost of merging cities. Seriously, I don't understand why it's always so expensive. The principle deterrent to merging cities should be the stability cost (which is not currently much of a factor) and the loss of a city, which confers many benefits on its own. It should still scale with districts and such, but it's just too much right now.
  2. The lack of cost scaling to attach an outpost that already contains many districts.

As long as the cost of just merging the city is cheaper than doing the roundabout exploity way, then it should be fine. 

As for the population/army bit, maybe assimilation shouldn't give control of their scores of garbo Ancient era units that can be instantly upgraded into rifles. Just send the armies into decline or something, you can give them another outpost to turn into a city if you want.  Also, upgrade costs on units probably need to be raised across the board. I guess the low upkeep of deferring upgrades is the opportunity cost of not having sent the unit back to city population, so that's alright.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 30, 2021, 9:31:17 PM

It is not an exploit in the way sometimes you have to ransack cities, like capturing an independent city that you don't want, or an ai city for that matter. Ransacking an old city and replace it for attachment is more questionable, you may lose alot of population doing so, on other hand it can greatly reduce the cost of merging the territories together.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 12:52:30 AM
shasho wrote:

Huh, I knew you could ransack your own districts including Outposts and Administrative Centers, but I never tried it on the Main Plaza to just bork the city. Sounds like the main problems are:

1. The prohibitive cost of merging cities. Seriously, I don't understand why it's always so expensive. The principle deterrent to merging cities should be the stability cost (which is not currently much of a factor) and the loss of a city, which confers many benefits on its own. It should still scale with districts and such, but it's just too much right now.
  2. The lack of cost scaling to attach an outpost that already contains many districts.

As long as the cost of just merging the city is cheaper than doing the roundabout exploity way, then it should be fine. 

As for the population/army bit, maybe assimilation shouldn't give control of their scores of garbo Ancient era units that can be instantly upgraded into rifles. Just send the armies into decline or something, you can give them another outpost to turn into a city if you want.  Also, upgrade costs on units probably need to be raised across the board. I guess the low upkeep of deferring upgrades is the opportunity cost of not having sent the unit back to city population, so that's alright.

The problem is, the cost becomes downright REASONABLE when you are a merchant race and it's paid in Money instead of Influence. Which sort of creates a situation where the best way to be a builder of a big city isn't to specialize in building, or Aestate, but instead in Money.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 1:20:49 AM
Torrent wrote:

Oh and bonus: If you don't ever research an upgrade to something like the basic Archer for as long as you possibly can, then you can also transfer the existing 4-10 population or whatever that exists in the city into cheap troops in about a turn or two. Reinvesting them as population, or saving them for later since they're cheap upkeep and can be instantly upgraded into something powerful later on. Either way, huge armies.

I was going to bring up that the population loss can be pretty extreme for well-established cities and not worth demolishing a city center for the "colony model" upgrade or cheaper outpost cost, but this troop loophole is interesting...

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 2:21:26 AM

I practiced this stratagem in my recent game, to see how it worked and to manage my city cap limit. In my wars, I would capture an enemy city and I tried to ransack everything, or or just ransack the city center.

For ransack everything, I saw a lot of gold come in from ransacking everything, but it needs a lot of units to do so. This also left quite a few ruins to clear up whenever I wanted to use the territory.

For ransack just the main square, I had a nice clear territory that was much cheaper to claim during war surrendering, plus nothing for the enemy to retake. Less units required, but far less gold gained.

Both of these were effective in realigning territories where the enemy had built cities with limited territories attached, so what I also did was one of;

a. attach the ransacked territory to one of my existing cities that was not very big yet,

b. keep one conquered city and after war win then attach the extra territories where it originally had small number of territories attached,

c. or later game, completely ransack everything so I could use a Settler or Construction Team to save me the pain of all that building time :-)

Overall, I really enjoyed having these options and I would absolutely want to see these mechanisms kept please.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 5:32:26 AM

I think they need to leave in the ability to destroy a city center so that you aren't expansion blocked thanks to city cap. The fact is that absorbing cities is a terrible idea almost all the time and should just be made far, far cheaper. I have no idea why it's so expensive.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 7:41:23 AM
Faust wrote:

I think they need to leave in the ability to destroy a city center so that you aren't expansion blocked thanks to city cap. The fact is that absorbing cities is a terrible idea almost all the time and should just be made far, far cheaper. I have no idea why it's so expensive.

It is not always that expensive, most notably if you have several settlers and found cities with those and immediately aborb the cities, the cost can be really low, far cheaper than attaching outposts. Merge cost seems to mostly based on number of districts the target have and also the difference in infrastructure between the cities, you want the cities to have identical infrastructure to make it as cheap as possible. There may also be a few other things affecting the cost, like population or number of territories of the cities, but it don't seems to have much impact.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 9:34:42 AM

Or forget merging if you want to save influence -> build military units and "use up" all the city population ->ransack city center->build outpost->attach the territory->disband military units to get back the pops city had.

No need to invest 100 000s of influence/money to merge city. ALl the districts remain.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 9:40:26 AM
Gaspi2 wrote:

Or forget merging if you want to save influence -> build military units and "use up" all the city population ->ransack city center->build outpost->attach the territory->disband military units to get back the pops city had.

No need to invest 100 000s of influence/money to merge city. ALl the districts remain.

While you can do so, the units are not free to build as they cost industry/money to build, which instead could have been spent building more districts. Another way is instead of disbanding the units to get the pop back is to simply use the units in wars.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 31, 2021, 10:29:17 PM
Faust wrote:

I think a better solution for that would be to allow depopulating one of your cities down to an outpost (and producing a bunch of "refugee" units from the pop... can't be upgraded, weaker than scout, etc.)  Maybe it could take some time, and only in a territory that was your sphere of influence and state religion... but then ban ransacking your own Main Plaza.

And then make Ransacking an Enemies Main Plaza/Administrative Center/Outpost cost you some War Support (because you are taking it from them even if you are not getting it).

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message