logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

How to identify the units and structures by symbol

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Mar 27, 2021, 6:39:36 AM

Hello everbody,

I had and already have (in the videos) the problem to differ between different units and between outposts/cities. Every unit and every city/outpost use the symbol of the current culture. I don't understand the meaning of this. In my opinion it is much easier to play, when you can differ the unit or at least the unit types by their symbol, instead of zooming and or clicking the unit to understand, what this unit do. In the zoomed overview of the map, I can't differ between outposts and cities and can't see where the administrative outposts of connected territories.

On the otherside the culture-symbols don't have an additional value for me. I can easily see, if an opponent change his/her culture - that is all. I can understand, that these symbols are a ncie design element, but please think about an option, to change these nice culture symbols into gameplay relevant symbols.

Thank you

0Send private message
3 years ago
Mar 27, 2021, 7:10:01 AM

These are very fair questions about map and combat readability that can be a bit complex due to the different types of vision/zoom in game. I'm not a VIP and haven't played since Lucy Opendev, but I'll give it a go based on the recent Unity Showcase. 

Cities can generally be distinguished from outposts by names, production cue, and quarter count around them. Outposts in the Unity showcase usually carry the culture's name but some in the showcase were seen to have particular names. None-the-less, a large "detach/attach" button below outposts will make then easily identifiable. View level is important here as the more zoomed out a player is the more general & empire wide view they have. 

Administration centers for attached territory are easy to identify if you own them as players can see resource yields in the management screen. Identifying another culture's admin center in an attached territory can be done a couple of ways. Usually targeting the most grandiose structure does the trick but hovering over each quarter for the tool-tip would provide a more exact answer

Units are a different issue as on the world map multiple units can stack together to form an army/fleet. It would be very difficult to have individual icons distinguishing each type of unit within a stack. To my knowledge, different types of units don't have unique distinguishing icons as their base trait determines its abilities & icon in battle. For example, a musketeer is an infantry gunner yet a Russian Cossack is also a gunner but mounted. Both units would have the same distinguishing icon as they have the same base "gunner" trait yet these units have different stats. It would be a hefty task to design icons for each unit within the game before release... 

In combat, units can be distinguished by their distinctive model and portraits at the center of the screen when ordering units around. Sure, some units may share the same icon above their head but that can be used to narrow down the possibilities. There are only so many generic and unique units per era; so with some experience players could possibly tell each apart from appearance alone.

Would it be nice to see units with unique distinguishing icons... Sure... but that can only ever go so far especially if every unit on the field is the same unit. At that point, would players want/need a Hp bar above each unit's head to distinguish a particular unit apart from the cresh? 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message