logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Use fewer words to describe things during gameplay

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 7:21:17 PM

No. Explain things thoroughly so players have no doubt about a function or mechanic and can make informed decisions. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 11:08:40 PM
Slashman wrote:

No. Explain things thoroughly so players have no doubt about a function or mechanic and can make informed decisions. 

This.  Brevity is good, but only to a point.

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jul 29, 2021, 11:24:01 PM

Most people don't want to read long descriptions. The fewer number of words used to effectively describe things within the game, the more popular it will be.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 2, 2021, 11:25:09 PM
Muckbuck wrote:

Most people don't want to read long descriptions. The fewer number of words used to effectively describe things within the game, the more popular it will be.

Sorry mate, but when you decide to play a 4x you should expect some complexity, instructions and descriptions are there to help you understand what is going on.

If instructions are thoroughly written, the better.

That is my opinion.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 6, 2021, 7:24:47 PM
Muckbuck wrote:

Most?

I assume 4x players want explanation as detail as possible.

The solution is to use short description and longer tooltip.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 8, 2021, 3:54:10 PM
Valmighty wrote:

Most?

I assume 4x players want explanation as detail as possible.

The solution is to use short description and longer tooltip.

If it is implemented a bit better than the way it works in Endless Space 2. I never quite got the hang of the compressed tooltip function for the times I wanted an expanded tooltip.

But for sure, long and detailed tooltips are almost always preferred if you ask me. It makes learning the game so much more intuitive, since you can quickly figure out what a particular ability or building does without having to dig through a lot of documentation. Learning concepts piecemeal like that is much better in my opinion. Do add the simplified tooltip option for more experienced players however, since you eventually only care about the yields and numbers, not the lore and narrative.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message