Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

World wrap and custom map size how-to

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 5:22:12 PM

As you talented cartographers might have noticed, mapping tool does not provide ability to disable world wrap for player made map. So here's how to do this manually:

Enter directory with your creation at Documents -> Humankind -> Maps, then unzip your .hmap like it's a zip file. Inside you'll find Descriptor which contains information like amount of players or map size for game to properly launch the lobby with map. The other, Save.hms, contains information related to how map looks in editor and in-game. Open it with text editor of choice.

1.0.2.166 Steam beta branch added world wrap setting in editor.

Skip to <Document> to find <Width> and <Height>. As of now limits to how big map can technically be are unknown After testing, approximately 21,750 tiles were rendered before game engine started bugging (145x150). Plese use this as reference value, if you manage to get more tiles rendered, please tell. <UseMapCycling> determines map wrapping. True for wrapping, False for borders. After that, save file as .zip format, using Deflate as compression method. Change map's format to .hmap and enjoy mapping!

Making use of border wrap:

In editor map will still wrap, so first you have to find out where the borders are. For that you can use a simple graphic with two rectangles of other colour to import into editor. This way borders of map will be of different elevation and easily visible. Use "never seen" brush to mark these spots, so that they won't get lost during map making and you're free to import/create freehand whatever map you want!

With all this noted, have fun building maps and scenarios of your dreams!

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 21, 2021, 3:59:31 PM

Beautiful! As an amateur map maker I can't get enough of these tips!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 23, 2021, 8:21:41 PM

Hi Dembeor, thanks for the tips:

"After that, save file without changing its name and compress directory. Use only Deflate compression method, otherwise editor will not read the map. Enjoy mapping!"

Please could explain how to compress the directory (to where)? I have tried but I think I'm going wrong somewhere. I have extracted and edited the files but I am stuck with repacking them so that game can read it. I am using 7zip and Notepad++.

I'm trying to recover a map that I have a lost after placing landmarks.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 23, 2021, 8:47:37 PM

Using 7zip, select the two extrcted files, add to archive, change then name, make sure to select zip format in the settings(not 7zip, both having same extension)

The Deflate option will appear in compression methods if you chose zip

Compress

Then you can change the name to hmap and put it back to where you took it in the map folders

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 23, 2021, 10:13:14 PM

Thanks for clearing up! Updated that part for clarity, hopefully saving another person confusion! If anything else is unclear please write it down.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 24, 2021, 10:39:03 AM

Dembeor and MasterPaw - thank you very much for the help. I was able to recover the map (and several hours work)!

Also great tip about X-wrapping so we can make "flat" maps.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 3, 2021, 3:04:50 PM

With the latest update [1.2.116] you can now do this via the Map Editor. "Save As..." function under MetaData.

However, I have tried to save a map to not wrap but it seems to be ignored. IDK

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 13, 2021, 7:32:05 PM

You can also use bhkmap tool by Benualdo (See this forum for link).

Disabling Wrap now works.

However, I think you need to set left and right edges as the dead zones. Not the poles like the Map Editor says. Poles are fine AFAIK. It's cos on a hex map there is no straight vertical line. It's a zig zag. Like in Civ VI. So units zig zag off the edge of the map (North Africa here in the screen grab) which looks a bit jarring but that's all LOL

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message