Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

How To Play Alternate Spawns On Custom Maps?

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Sep 5, 2021, 2:51:45 PM

On a map I made of North Africa no matter what order I assign the spawn locations, when playing it, the game always gives me the lower Nile river start. Historically TSL of Nubia (or the Kingdom of Kush).

(TBH it's not a bad start but I'd like to play test the other spawn locations).

How do you play other spawn locations on Map Editor produced maps?

Ref: [Map] North Africa mod for Humankind - mod.io

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 6, 2021, 12:43:01 PM
Skull-Koopa wrote:
Hey ! Put your game on multiplayer, set it on private and now you can choose ^^ 

Thanks! That worked.

But there was a performance issue playing this huge map in MP mode. Serious lagging.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 8, 2021, 10:25:36 AM

I used the same trick to play @Gedemon's Giant Earth Map with a different start but after a while I had to stop my game because it kept crashing because of "Internet disconnected" :(

The good news is that I made some tests and as the player spawn only depends on the order in the Save.hms file (only the official map editor is reordering them for whatever reason) I should be able to code a tool to edit player spawns or at least randomize them very soon :)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 8, 2021, 10:50:23 AM
Benualdo wrote:

I used the same trick to play @Gedemon's Giant Earth Map with a different start but after a while I had to stop my game because it kept crashing because of "Internet disconnected" :(

The good news is that I made some tests and as the player spawn only depends on the order in the Save.hms file (only the official map editor is reordering them for whatever reason) I should be able to code a tool to edit player spawns or at least randomize them very soon :)

Always strange to be disconnected when you're hosting a session without anyone else connected :D

I had it 2-3 times during my last session from turn ~100-150, how far were you in the game ?

On the other hand I used it in MP with my brother to test the mod for Culture unlock by territory, and we had no issue the first run (~60 turns), and 3 disconnect the last run (turn 60 to ~140)

But as we also had issue with the steam voice cheat during that session I'm unsure that was from the game, the map, the mod or a real connection issue.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 8, 2021, 11:39:57 AM

I had it only once at turn ~50 then I was at turn ~150 and had it several times (like every 2-3 turns).
Also, I felt like it took longer between turns when playing in "solo multiplayer" like that than in my previous game on a map of the same size and with more AI players. 

For that reasons I think I'll restart a new normal solo game with a "patched" .hmap instead as soon as I finished the code for that, because I'm too lazy to edit the file and create all the combinations manually to emulate "random" start ;)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Sep 8, 2021, 8:06:47 PM

It works, I was able to start a game with a different spawn location after patching the map using my tool.

Here is the default spawn order for "Giant Earth Map v1.0.2"

And after hitting the "Randomize order" button several times:

New solo game using the modified version of the map now starts in Europe, not in Africa :)

I attached the modified version of your map here : Giant Earth Map v1.0.2 - 8 players - europe start.hmap and if you want to give it a try you can download the tool  @ https://github.com/vimontgames/bhktools/releases

edit:
Version 0.4 had an issue that it could create a corrupted the .zip file that cannot be reloaded. This has been fixed in v0.41

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
4 months ago
Jan 3, 2024, 1:11:48 PM
Skull-Koopa wrote:
Hey ! Put your game on multiplayer, set it on private and now you can choose ^^ 

This actually DOES NOT work, at least it doesn't anymore. So frustrating to have a custom map option that you can't set specific spawn locations reliably. Yet another reason to kind of hate this game. I mean did AI scripters trained by monkeys create it or what?? Let us reliably set spawn locations by player number FFS!

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message