Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

[Steam] Can't Open Custom Map

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Aug 18, 2021, 7:04:28 PM

I spent some time editing a custom map, restarting the game a few times and opening it successfully then.

But after trying again with the new patch, my map seems to be stuck on loading endlessly.

I attached the map below.

Huge Xhylgia.hmap

FIXED

Instructions:

Extract the .hmap file with a zip app (such as 7zip). Edit the Save.hms file.

— To remove Landmarks, you have to change the LandmarksTexture.Bytes line (ln 219) with "<LandmarksTexture.Bytes Length="176">iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADoAAAAkCAYAAADYZynDAAAAd0lEQVRoBe3SsQ3AMBDDQCf77+wYSM0B+GaQTo1e52evdf753zv/xP/CDp0mnWii0gV6ulI4rJ0oTiMNEpXCYe1EcRppkKgUDmsnitNIg0SlcFg7UZxGGiQqhcPaieI00iBRKRzWThSnkQaJSuGwdqI4jTS4RvQDAesCRtjfQ3MAAAAASUVORK5CYII=</LandmarksTexture.Bytes>" (that's a blank bytes line).

—The database lines must look like this:

"<LandmarkDatabase>

<Landmarks Null="true" />

</LandmarkDatabase>"

Note that "true" must be lower case.

—When creating the archive, do not make it a .7z that you rename into .hmap; I think this is why all the other maps disappeared, @AwaiShijin, but I'm not 100% sure.

—Repack both files, Description and Save, into an archive: zip format, but add ".hmap" in the name to change its extension.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 18, 2021, 7:16:40 PM

Additionally, this is what is displayed if I try to start a game with it:

The operation was canceled.

at Amplitude.Mercury.Game.Game+<DoStart>d__4.MoveNext () [0x00157] in <a7eed05bffa9495ebbab724f54236cfe>:0 

at Amplitude.Coroutine.Run () [0x00019] in <a38bac599c844a99a8a4fcca3b37292e>:0

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 18, 2021, 8:01:00 PM

I'm doing some sleuthing, and it seems that landmarks are causing an issue.

I was able to repeat my problem by editing the Tiny Map, adding a forest landmark in the middle, save as, then try to open that new map: the loading screen hangs forever and it throws the same warning/critical errors that show up on my diagnostic above.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 18, 2021, 8:14:00 PM

Extracting the .hmap and editing the Save file, I removed all landmarks (set the dabatase to Landmarks Null="True" and copy pasted the Landmark Textures bytes from a landmark-free map) and my custom map loads again!

I think there's a bug somewhere in how landmarks are saved in the map editor. In the file attached above, some landmarks have the same index, for example.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 21, 2021, 8:06:49 AM

How do you extract an the .hmap file? I just got done with a fairly decent sized map and I need to get rid of the landmark in it so that I can test it out.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 21, 2021, 3:50:42 PM

Using something like 7zip. It's only an archive file with a fancy extension! It should have two text files in it.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 22, 2021, 8:39:51 AM
Dhivuri wrote:

Do they switch when you load the map in the editor?

Not really, when I play the map, the custom starting points switch, like the three player ones will all switch order. A lot of chaos.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 23, 2021, 11:43:13 AM
Thanks so much
Dhivuri
wrote:

Extracting the .hmap and editing the Save file, I removed all landmarks (set the dabatase to Landmarks Null="True" and copy pasted the Landmark Textures bytes from a landmark-free map) and my custom map loads again!

I think there's a bug somewhere in how landmarks are saved in the map editor. In the file attached above, some landmarks have the same index, for example.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 5:26:28 PM
Dhivuri wrote:

Thanks so much! Worked for me too.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 5:54:05 PM
Dhivuri wrote:

How do you edit the save file, cause for me it's just a document I can't edit !

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 7:25:15 PM

I edited the file using notepad++, but now I'm also having some issue saving the file back into hmap. Do you have some tips to convert the 2 files back into a hmap? Thanks in advance :)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 7:44:55 PM

You need to extract the .hmap file as an archive, otherwise you'll get gibberish as a text file, indeed!

To save it back into a .hmap file, simply select your two files you extracted before, and create a new archive with them (with 7zip, for example) and input your name for it followed by the extension ".hmap". It should work!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 8:24:23 PM

Thanks for your help :) Unfortunately, even after the changes, I am still unable to edit again my custom map. There are probably more issues on it, but I am now able to edit and saves the hmap ;)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 28, 2021, 1:18:47 AM

Hi, i am having the same problem, i have done the edits in the notepad, i have saved them and archived them as the .hmap. But when i go back into the game, the game does not see any of the maps in the folder anymore. However if i delete my new file, the game reads my previous saved Maps.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message