Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Legend
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Legend is a turn-based 4X fantasy-strategy game, where you control every aspect of your civilization as you struggle to save your homeworld Auriga. Create your own Legend!

[EL] GDD 22 - "Morgawr" faction

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Sep 16, 2016, 3:44:41 PM
Ashbery76 wrote:
diakon wrote:

I am very much looking forward to trying out the Morgawr! Once question relating to some of faction description, specifically the conversion of biospheres:

Tainted by organisms and experiments in the laboratories, whatever these beings were originally (there are clues they may not be originally from Auriga) they are now telepathic monsters who adapt easily to severe conditions. Part of that process is adapting the conditions to them; as they take over areas under the sea or on land aquatic bacteria and organisms grow from their mucus–rich skins and begin to feed on any existing local forms of life. Over time, regions are slowly converted to biospheres that are more agreeable to the Morgawr.

Will there be actual game play features that allow for changing the biome of regions?

Indeed.It seems a strange thing to put in the lore if not ingame.

Seems they are akin to some kind of Zerg force (the creep corrupting the land around them). I wonder if the changes are permanent or only so long as they hold the region.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 14, 2016, 2:33:57 PM
Mered4 wrote:
wilbefast wrote:

Could you describe precisely in what way Guardians are miss-used? 

Yeah.  The AI does a few things with guardians that makes no sense:

First, it prioritizes their construction, only to have them wander between friendly cities forever. (Builds fast, but with no purpose)

If you go to war with the AI, it sends the guardian at your cities, not your armies.  And it usually sends it alone or with a tiny army and one hero.  Picking off AI guardians is cake.

It uses the thing to scout new territory by itself.  Doesn't make much sense :D

That is my experience almost exactly with them. In games where the AI gets them before I do and we're hostile, I should be crapping my pants. Instead, I can just breathe easy because they can't use them well anyway.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 14, 2016, 3:12:39 PM

Slashman wrote:

Mered4 wrote:
wilbefast wrote:

First, it prioritizes their construction, only to have them wander between friendly cities forever. (Builds fast, but with no purpose)

If you go to war with the AI, it sends the guardian at your cities, not your armies.  And it usually sends it alone or with a tiny army and one hero.  Picking off AI guardians is cake.

That is my experience almost exactly with them. In games where the AI gets them before I do and we're hostile, I should be crapping my pants. Instead, I can just breathe easy because they can't use them well anyway.

Hmm... 

Given the chosen architecture purpose is one of those tricky things: AI choices emerge from the interactions between over a dozen modules, each with its own role and agenda - to use a political metaphor the AI would be democratic, not authoritarian: this makes it economically stable but often indecisive when viewed from the outside. Guardians are built because someone at the Ministry for Guardians has managed to push through a Guardian construction law. But the precise purpose of said Guardian is left for the other ministries to decide upon. I could perhaps nerf said Ministry of Guardians in times of peace, but the result of this would likely be the AI not having Guardians up its sleeve when war is declared. What we really need is better synchronisation between the Ministry in charge of Guardians and the Ministry in charge of declaring wars, but this kind of "throwing a cable across"  between AI modules exactly the sort of thing the architecture discourages as it was designed to in order to be all about separation of concerns (which is not at all a bad software practice).

As for the behaviours of the Guardians once they are built - I can tell you that there are 3 possible missions that Guardians can be sent on according to AI\AIArmyMissionDefinition[Colossus].xml:

• Army Support
  • Harass
  • Defensive Roaming

Army Support does pretty much exactly what you'd think. Harass targets an enemy region and includes things like smashing POIs; it does seem to target armies but not cities as far as I can tell. Strange. Roaming does things like intercepting armies and searching ruins. A Guardian without Fortify shouldn't be visiting cities, but my reading so far has been somewhat superficial and I'm going to need to get back to work on Tempest I will have a think about these Guardians and how we can improve their behaviour, but I don't think we'll be able to do something consequential in time for the expansion

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 14, 2016, 4:00:45 PM

Well that's a bummer that nothing can be done in time for the expansion.

Id like to maybe suggest a couple things:

The three possible behaviours don't seem that efficient for what a Guardian really is: An incredibly powerful force multiplier for armies.

If I have a guardian, I'm going to either want it defending my key cities or accompanying a specific army to wage war. I would strongly discourage behaviour where I send a guardian into combat alone so roaming and harrass missions I would remove from the list. Replacing them with things like:

Augment: Choose an attacking army and follow it closely to its target always coming in as a reserve unit when the battle starts.

Destroy: Attack a specific target while having a supporting army in tow. If no army is available, only attack if the enemy strength is well below a certain threshold.

My other suggestion is to possibly uncouple the Guardians themselves from the Guardian DLC in such a way that the the other content of the expansion can be played without any empire getting access to them. This would be a stop-gap measure until some attention can be given to them.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 15, 2016, 9:11:37 AM
Slashman wrote:

If I have a guardian, I'm going to either want it defending my key cities or accompanying a specific army to wage war. I would strongly discourage behaviour where I send a guardian into combat alone so roaming and harrass missions I would remove from the list. 

Replacing them with things like:

Augment: Choose an attacking army and follow it closely to its target always coming in as a reserve unit when the battle starts.

This is by and large what Army Support does, at least in theory.

Destroy: Attack a specific target while having a supporting army in tow. If no army is available, only attack if the enemy strength is well below a certain threshold.

Interception is another tricky AI problem - humans are good at figuring out how to get between a target and where that target wants to go while keeping strategic locations in need of protection at their armies' backs. Most game AI on the other hand will make a bee-line for their target. If their target is faster this is a problem. Note too that the AI which manages ground forces in EL executes at the beginning of the turn rather than throughout the turn (like in ES2), meaning that it can't react to changes in player army trajectories. As such it's dangerous to have a mission where the primary target is an army: players can exploit this to lead the "aggro" Guardian astray (quest armies have can often be tricked in this manner). Regions, cities and POIs can't run away, which makes them better targets.

Fun fact: the AI that manages naval forces does execute mid-turn - we need that extra wiggle room to deal with the more open spaces.

I've taken note of these suggestions for Guardian AI - we'll look into what might be changed to improve their behaviour along these lines.

My other suggestion is to possibly uncouple the Guardians themselves from the Guardian DLC in such a way that the the other content of the expansion can be played without any empire getting access to them. This would be a stop-gap measure until some attention can be given to them.

Hmm... we've heard the same suggestion for Deeds and various other Guardians content, but the option to disable the Guardians themselves is not a common request. I guess Guardians is a bit of a mixed bag as far as expansions go, whereas recent DLCs have parts which more closely interlock. We do already have an option to disable Global Events, an option to disable other content is certainly not impossible.

Anyhow - much as I love talking about AI we should probably get back on topic - so, feedback on the Morgawr faction?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 16, 2016, 1:28:47 AM

I am very much looking forward to trying out the Morgawr! Once question relating to some of faction description, specifically the conversion of biospheres:

Tainted by organisms and experiments in the laboratories, whatever these beings were originally (there are clues they may not be originally from Auriga) they are now telepathic monsters who adapt easily to severe conditions. Part of that process is adapting the conditions to them; as they take over areas under the sea or on land aquatic bacteria and organisms grow from their mucus–rich skins and begin to feed on any existing local forms of life. Over time, regions are slowly converted to biospheres that are more agreeable to the Morgawr.

Will there be actual game play features that allow for changing the biome of regions?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 16, 2016, 12:09:39 PM

KnightofPhoenix wrote:
Can Roving Clans then start aggression on a Black Spotted empire? 

Yes

Hi. 

Can a black spot allow to counter Drakkens' force truce? It's like double war. Will it be cheaper to make war, capture 1 city from drakken, then black spot and take another city than make second war by breaking truce? Will it be chaper for drakken to nullify black spot than force truce again? Which is the optimal way to kill a drakken in terms of influence?  

At the moment in high level games it is considered to be ill-mannered to use force truce for drakken to often. It is one of the imbalanced features JOJO told about. It is like destroying the population of a captured city when necro and leaving it next turn, or 100% remove fortifications just before the turn ends to damage units inside for 50% of total health. 

Jojo_Fr wrote:

- I am impressed, very impressed, by the background, and by the gameplay and the new features.

- It's very creative. Maybe the famous french touch.

- I really like the Cthulu influence, the demonic culture, the chaos strategy etc. I am very curious to see what it will do in real games, with real humans in competition.

- But I fear, as usual, that the balance problems found will not really been solved. We got nothing to read about Balance, or balance correction.

- Nothing has really change : we still have very powerfull Wild Walkers (industry bonus + mega influence made by the construction of buildings) and superbe Ardent Mages (ERA II turn 10 influence plan combo + Imba wings and stun spells) who dominate by far the others factions.

We still have two main weak races : Necrophages mostly, and Vaulters.

- Pillage, for exemple, which is a great feature, is still problematic, because no one use it in multiplayer, except few Forgottens players, in rare cases. When Balance is uncorrect, it can lead to situations where entire features are purely ignored (as the pearl equipement for units, or the food/science/industry reserves, or several never-taken technologies).

In my opinion, this situation is a failure, and a sad failure, because it would be possible to solve this failure by changing sligtly few simples balance problems. But it seems the devs have no real will to solve these problems.

(But if devs ask for help about balance & others few technical changes, I ll be glad to give my suggestions).

I agree completely about problems in balance. I abuse some of the features quietly, though ) 

I also agree that mages are by far the best when using the trick, and WW are the second best. When i learned the ways to abuse some features of the game, it has become quite straightforward to play. You move from one trick to another. Almost all the time you research the same techs in a bit different order. And others you never research at all.

The list of imbalanced features is very high. I will also mention some.

1) Turn 1-2 legendary deed for allayi is worth mentioning. When you are lucky to have 2 packs of luxury resource (10 each) from ruins on turn 1-2, you can instantly get 120 luxury res as a gift and activate it for 120 turns = till the end of the game. If it is wine, gold or dye, it can give a huge advantage. It can be fixed by limiting the quest reward for getting luxury res to 5 instead of 10. The % to get 4 ruins with luxury before placing 1st city is quite low. 

2) Mages' trick is insane, but can be easily undone by forbidding to get influence as a quest reward. Give them anything else, lol. And they will almost never have 30, 40 or 60 influence by turn 10. Now the chance of success of the trick is about 80% on high anomalies and 70% on normal. About 50% on low. With no influence as quest reward the success will be about 30-40% on high anomalies. May be even less. You will have to sacrifice all the production on turns 1 to 10 to farm influence to get the trick done. And it is not worth it, really. This will also not affect the mages' performance when AI is playing it. 

I love playing Mages, by the way. I invented the trick and proved to Jojo that it is not luck as he first thought. I won about 10 games in a streak vs jojo (we played team games, but other players are usually not considered a threat at all). Even when enemies teamed up before tech exchange was greatly nerfed, i almost always won for mages and in 100% cases when the trick worked.

3) Spies are too powerful in some cases. When you play a single city, you can be beaten by a 100% removal of fortification. or by hero captivation (i do that myself often). I sometimes got caught when i built a wonder and my hero was captured by a spy. And i performed a spy check before building. Something like a 100% chance of flushing spies when you play with a single city would be ok. Or force release of hero at the cost of gold or influence. I would also suggest to make a maximum of 80% fortifications removed instead of 100%. It is too, damn, efficient. 

4) Allayi are very dependent on knowing how many villages there are in the region as they move a lot before settling a capital. A lot happens by chance. If they were allowed to "feel" the number of villages when entering a region, this would make it a more stable and predictable faction. 

Jojo is a very experienced player and could give a lot of suggestions to fix balance. By doing that Endless legend may continue to be interesting for skilled players. For now it is becoming very predictable and straightforward. I and jojo get easy wins and it is boring, other players always lose and they lose interest. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 16, 2016, 3:27:47 PM

Use every possible "exploit" that you like, cry when someone uses ones you don´t like, restarts games when placing is unconvenient, plays competitively against people playing for the kicks, complains the game is too easy.

on an unrelated note, I do wish the Morgawr was there from the beginning, they do seem to balance things out.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 16, 2016, 3:31:38 PM
diakon wrote:

Indeed.It seems a strange thing to put in the lore if not ingame.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 14, 2016, 1:39:49 PM
wilbefast wrote:

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 16, 2016, 8:31:20 PM
BPrado wrote:

Use every possible "exploit" that you like, cry when someone uses ones you don´t like, restarts games when placing is unconvenient, plays competitively against people playing for the kicks, complains the game is too easy.

on an unrelated note, I do wish the Morgawr was there from the beginning, they do seem to balance things out.

You want to be offensive, but it is not working..

Even a bad start can be turned into victory, i don't force a restart in my games or leave. 

An inexperienced player can never beat me. With any kind of start.

All experienced players use tricks. The ones they like most. But some are better, some are worse. Some are imbalanced.

Previous post was my first one on any of the EL forums, so it is difficult to call me a complainer. I just stated my opinion and proposed several changes.

So you are wrong in everything ) 

The purpose of my post is not to insult anyone, but to state my view as an experienced player. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 18, 2016, 3:45:48 PM

I don't think he was addressing you in particular, but rather people constantly going on about balance even in completely unrelated threads.

For example, Propbuddha went to the trouble of setting up a tracking website for competitive matches, but the only two players who keep asking for balance and actually post their savegames to the site that come to my mind are PropBuddha, Bruno, and BigBalls.

At least I don't often come across comparisons to Civilization V when it comes to balancing, since I am sick and tired of people upholding Civilization V as some kind of gold standard, completely disregarding its flaws (like AI building settlers when there is literally nowhere to found a city, or the community feeling the need to create their own massive balancing patch) or the fact that Firaxis have many times the money and manpower Amplitude does.

As far as balance is concerned, I figure the best way to prove your suggestions would be creating a mod that implements some of them to test balance with them. Unfortunately, many solutions Jojo has suggested require scripting capabilities modders do not have access to.

If you have any particular concerns, feel free to send me a PM listing them. Once Tempest comes out, I want to restart my big modding project (as the new expansion has inspired some solutions to goals I had struggled with before), and anything that can be altered purely through xml has a chance of being added to the mod, so it could be tested.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 3, 2016, 7:00:12 PM

I am confused about one thing. Are the "Morgawr" faction only getting 3 units? Or am I reading it wrong? It seems the other units are getting 6 units now, their base 3 ground units and 3 sea units, while the "Morgawr" only get 1 half land unit and 2 sea units? Could someone clarify this for me? Thanks

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 3, 2016, 7:04:41 PM

The Morgawr also have access to the 4 Fomorian naval units that everyone else gets. 2 of which fill roles that the 2 Morgawr naval units can't.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 3:18:18 AM

Also there is still the exploit that you can retreat from battle with the settler, settle down, salt the earth and get back a fully healed settler in just one turn back. This really should be fixed.

If it comes to balance, the Ardent mages stun-spell seems still kinda OP. The rest of balance issues got mentioned in previous posts.

I hope there will be a new balance update after the new dlc because the new sea mechanics will bring a lot of changes and it would be a good idea to do some balancing between the factions again.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 7:02:20 PM

Let's look at the balance thing in comparison to Firaxis's Civ. 

After 6 years Civ 6 is coming out. That's a pretty good length of time for a sequel. It took them how many updates to get everything that was needed in Civ 5? Balance is still a thing in Civ 5 after all this time though over the 6 years it has gotten better. 

Amplitude released Endless Legend how long ago? With the Tempest update they've now reached what is a logical conclusion point. They don't need to add content they can now address balance more consistently. This is how it's usually done. Glaring OPness is slapped around and obvious game altering tricks are drowned after release but the subtle tricks and traps invariably, are put on hold to fill out content.

I'm confident that balancing the game will be looked at more critically and worked on more diligently in the future.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 8:45:58 PM

Most probably, althought now they are more focused on getting the ES2. :) But I duob they will leave EL.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 13, 2016, 5:32:59 PM
Slashman wrote:
ojaguar wrote:

More balance between factions would make the game more fun, versatile and interesting.

9 out of 10 times balance for multiplayer makes unique factions more generic. Honestly I would prefer to see effort go toward making single player games more interesting via more capable and aggressive AI.

When a bunch of humans sit down to play together, there is a very different dynamic taking place than when someone sits down to a single player game against AI factions. I don't want more genericness leaking into the single player game (where the majority of players are) just to make multiplayer marginally better to remain unplayed by the majority of players anyway.

"9 out of 10 times balance for multiplayer games makes unit factions more generic etc."

This is a dogmatic idea. What is important it's the bringed suggestions, listed and analysed one by one.

Personnaly I would never propose ideas which increase the balance BUT decrease the versatility, the diversity of each factions, of each games. I love the diversity and creativity of Endless Legend.

To take just one exemple : Pillage is (nearly) never used in multiplayer, because it's useless, very expansive to bring units, for a small reward (in early eras especially). If small changes are made to the Pillage which make it interesting, it will make multiplayer more interesting, but too the soloplaying.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message