Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Early Access 100 Turn Limit

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 7:39:54 PM
VieuxChat wrote:

I'm another VIPs.

And I remember the Tech forums of ES1 and EL. 

There were too many people that posted about bugs past the turn limit. The problem is that bugs will create more bugs and, as time passes, the flaws of bugs or unbalanced gameplay will show more and more.

So, giving feedback on gameplay without taking into account that the game was totally derailed due to inbalances (it's an Early Access after all) after the turn limit was useless and time consuming (veeeeeery time consuming) for people that tried to keep the Tech forum organized.

So, I thank the devs for such a limit. It eases their work.

If you are a VIP playing without such a limit of course the limit wouldn't matter to you. No reason why the game can't tally up the score, declare a winner then give a warning that if you continue past that point there may be imbalances and an increase in bugs.

I think it really comes down to the fact that if the game is in an unplayable state beyond such a short duration it really ought not be released for EA at all at this point. 100 turns really isn't much at all. Just a teaser really. Kind of disrespectful to the customer.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 4, 2016, 6:38:31 PM

I too was disappointed by the 100 turn limit, i actually came to the forums specifically to find out if the 100 turn limit i heard about watching videos on youtube would also apply once it hit EA. 

But that being said, and trying not to sound too fanboy-ish here, Amplitude is pretty much one of 2 companies I trust implicitly with how they will handle EA and the release of their game. The mistrust of game devs, and even more of EA releases is totally founded because we all get burned constantly. But look at Amplitudes track record, they kind of earn a bit of trust here.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 12:46:10 PM

Early access is early access. Take what we get and smile. If it's not what you want/expect, wait for the game to come out. My philosophy only. YMMV.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 1:15:48 PM

Even if there would be a turn limit tomorrow who says it will remain during the whole early access phase, they could remove it during further development.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 1:36:11 PM
PANCZASU wrote:
Jaimoe wrote:

Very condescending of you but not very helpful. They're kind of springing this 100 turn limit on us at the last minute. VIP testers didn't have it. Frankly if all they can give us is 100 turns they're better off delaying the EA release for a while. When people were upset about the first delay it was because of a lack of communication, not because everyone insisted it be released before it was ready. Sounds like it's still not ready.

1. As VIPs we're expected to test the game even when it's in a very rough and barely playable state; so it makes sense to give us full access. That said, I'm curious how do you know that we used to have no limits.
  2. With that said, I'm personally against the 100 turn limit and have always been - in my opinion a big flashing warning message screaming "The game isn't ready to play beyond turn 100 yet, continue at your own risk!" is a better solution.
  3. And finally - yes, it is NOT ready. It's an early access game, no early access game has ever been "ready". It is playable but not of the standard you would expect from a gold release game. If you want that level of polish then you should simply not buy the game and instead wait for a full release

I know early access VIP's have at least a higher limit than 100 turns from watching Twitch streams and youtube videos from VIP testers.

As a VIP tester maybe you can answer this...if you do have a limit, does the game end and not allow you to continue at that limit or does it just calculate the score and declare a winner but allow you to play more turns past that point?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 2:09:08 PM
I don't know if 300 turns is a lot, but I've got the feeling that it's not, since a Civ5 game at a standard speed lasts 500 turns.
But well, it seems that you start way faster in ES2 than in Civ5.

I'll probably play at a slower speed anyway.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 2:22:19 PM

Ezumiyr wrote:
I don't know if 300 turns is a lot, but I've got the feeling that it's not, since a Civ5 game at a standard speed lasts 500 turns.
But well, it seems that you start way faster in ES2 than in Civ5.

I'll probably play at a slower speed anyway.

well for the final game you can choose which victory type to include in your game, so if you don't want a score victory, meaning no turn limit you can do that as well :)

ST

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 2:31:25 PM
Jaimoe wrote:
I know early access VIP's have at least a higher limit than 100 turns from watching Twitch streams and youtube videos from VIP testers.

As a VIP tester maybe you can answer this...if you do have a limit, does the game end and not allow you to continue at that limit or does it just calculate the score and declare a winner but allow you to play more turns past that point?

They must be playing on slower speeds then - people are only allowed to post footage from a certain build which has 100 turn limit (which is higher on slower speeds).

As for your question - IF the version that is released on early access works in the same way as the one you saw in the videos (and that's a big "if") then there will be no way to progress past 100 turns (at least not without using exploits).

Personally, like I stated before, I don't think that a hard limit is a good idea. Even if there's no late game content to show, I would still like to not be bound by artificial limits.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 6:31:05 PM

I'm another VIPs.

There were too many people that posted about bugs past the turn limit. The problem is that bugs will create more bugs and, as time passes, the flaws of bugs or unbalanced gameplay will show more and more.

So, giving feedback on gameplay without taking into account that the game was totally derailed due to inbalances (it's an Early Access after all) after the turn limit was useless and time consuming (veeeeeery time consuming) for people that tried to keep the Tech forum organized.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 4, 2016, 6:30:23 PM
Jaimoe wrote:

Very condescending of you but not very helpful. They're kind of springing this 100 turn limit on us at the last minute. VIP testers didn't have it. Frankly if all they can give us is 100 turns they're better off delaying the EA release for a while. When people were upset about the first delay it was because of a lack of communication, not because everyone insisted it be released before it was ready. Sounds like it's still not ready.

1. As VIPs we're expected to test the game even when it's in a very rough and barely playable state; so it makes sense to give us full access. That said, I'm curious how do you know that we used to have no limits.
  2. With that said, I'm personally against the 100 turn limit and have always been - in my opinion a big flashing warning message screaming "The game isn't ready to play beyond turn 100 yet, continue at your own risk!" is a better solution.
  3. And finally - yes, it is NOT ready. It's an early access game, no early access game has ever been "ready". It is playable but not of the standard you would expect from a gold release game. If you want that level of polish then you should simply not buy the game and instead wait for a full release
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 7:59:54 PM
Jaimoe wrote:
PANCZASU wrote:
Jaimoe wrote:

Have you seen them reach past turn 100 live on screen, or only by loading a save game?

If you have watched live, then they must have played on a slower speed.

If you have seen them load a save game, that may have served to circumvent the turn limit, as part of the exploits mentioned by Panczasu.

I know I reloaded a game from turn 112 on slow speed on stream at one point, and since I was not sure how stable the game would be, I even mentioned that it might break the game.

That being said, I understand why many people are angry about the 100 turn hard limit. It tastes a little like the turn limit in demos for past Civilization titles. I would prefer a warning instead of a hard limit myself. But Vieuxchat is right: There are too many people who would disregard it and post bug reports from turn 150-something.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 8:11:25 PM

Based on the gameplay I have seen so far a turn limit shouldn't matter if you play to win from the very start (unless you go for fast speed, which lowers the limit to 50 turns). The only thing we would need to do is change up what tech we grab each game.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 11:14:22 PM

according to the steam store page (under "what the developers have to say"):

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The Early Access currently contains the core of the gameplay and the game’s vision. It is in Alpha state, meaning it is playable, but misses a lot of content, game balance is rough, and only English language is available. Right now the Alpha will focus on the first 125 turns of the game, which will help us focus on one bit at a time, of that huge game. The game is not bug free, we have a testing team helping us to track down issues, but as the game is evolving every day we cannot guarantee the same level of stability that you will have in the final game. So please if you encounter any issues, let us know in our forums. Yet, you should already have a lot of fun playing the game, we already have, and the latest feedbacks we had convinced us that we were ready to open the game for everyone.”

so is there a 125 turn limit?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 5, 2016, 11:43:11 PM
VieuxChat wrote:

The problem is that bugs will create more bugs 

MVP Quote right there. You hit the nail on the head :-)

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 4:55:24 AM
Jaimoe wrote:
VieuxChat wrote:

I'm another VIPs.

If you are a VIP playing without such a limit of course the limit wouldn't matter to you. No reason why the game can't tally up the score, declare a winner then give a warning that if you continue past that point there may be imbalances and an increase in bugs.

I think it really comes down to the fact that if the game is in an unplayable state beyond such a short duration it really ought not be released for EA at all at this point. 100 turns really isn't much at all. Just a teaser really. Kind of disrespectful to the customer.

Where did you get the thought I played without that limit ? I never said that. All VIPs played with that limit, and when there wasn't on the very very early builds we couldn't play for too long because it was very buggy.

I don't care about that limit. 100 turns is enough to get the "vision" of what will the game be. You already get a lot of fun with those 100 turns.

After 100 turns the game is far away from the devs "vision", both in stability and gameplay, and discussing the game after that point is useless and would make them lose time.

Moreover you can chose, at start, the pace of the game (very slow for instance will give you more turns because everything takes more turns to build/research).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 3:29:51 PM
Jaimoe wrote:

I don't know. You're warned everywhere on the store page. The game is far its final state, you buy it sooner with a sale to be able to get some taste of the game (which you get even with "only" 100 turns) and developers do that so they can have more feedback from more people. I don't see what is disrespectful when it's written everywhere that you don't get the full game and nobody is putting a knife under your throat to buy the game now.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 6, 2016, 4:40:31 PM
Shywim wrote:
Jaimoe wrote:

I don't know. You're warned everywhere on the store page. The game is far its final state, you buy it sooner with a sale to be able to get some taste of the game (which you get even with "only" 100 turns) and developers do that so they can have more feedback from more people. I don't see what is disrespectful when it's written everywhere that you don't get the full game and nobody is putting a knife under your throat to buy the game now.

Well it looks like the devs have pushed the limit up to 125 turns and promised to remove it sometime next week. A nice compromise even if 125 still seems a bit restrictive. I've reached the limits of my outrage-o-meter as far as a video game is concerned. :)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 30, 2016, 2:11:29 PM

The clarification is appreciated Steph.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message